water leak in coupe

Started by underground, May 26, 2005, 08:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

underground

I recently bought a 1989 Audi coupe which has been garaged for most of it's life...problem is, I don't have a garage and that's caused a problem. There appears to be a bit of a leak of water coming out of one of the fan pipes in the passenger footwell. It only leaks when it rains (or when I clean the beast) and its not all that nice. It appears the water may be coming through from the vents under the windscreen (top of bonnet) but not I'm 100% sure.
If anyone can help me or has any ideas for stopping this leak that would be awesome as!
Cheers,
   Clemens

John Stone

Check the black (and very fragile) styrene cover that should cover the air vents across the top of the front bulkhead at the back of the engine bay. If it doesn't comprehensively cover the area, you get water coming in through the footwell air vents. Also check under the lower corners of the w/screen rubber. Any rust bubles? If so, then the screen drains are likely to be blocked with rust/crap and water will come in directly below that area and drip into the outer corners of the front floor.
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

Duncan

In addition to John's suggestions, found my coupe was leaking through the windscreen. The silicone under the rubber was old and perished and was actually lifting the rubber seal and allowing water into the cabin. It dripped down onto carpet in the footwell area. It had been bugging me forever, then dad tried scraping out the old silicone under the rubber seal and then squirting some fresh silicone up underneath. This worked for my coupe, and it is now drip free...

HTH
Duncan
'85 CQ
'88 90Q
'90 944S2

underground

thanks guys, managed to fix the leak today when i finally got some time.  some of the sealant which fitted between the "fragile black piece" and the windscreen seal had blocked a small water run-off channel and was subsequently forcing water through the fan and into the footwell. but hey, it's been fixed now. Thanks for the help boys!

orggti

you sure it dosent leak when the suns shining as well ;D

bsting

undergrounds got a nice Coupe, inside and out - its Purple too :)

orggti

thats good. and it only leaks when it rains, not all the time :laugh:

underground

yeah, and when i wash it too  :P

but now its leaking through the back somewhere...i shall take this mission (impossible) on and give it a go.

thanks for the compliments too damian! loving the beast right about now aye! maybe not so much when i have to drive to ohakune with a duvet over me and the passengers  :-\ damn heater...

~Clemo

Mike

Leaks from the rear with the '88-on hatchback Coupe are often through the tailgate.

It can often be cured by careful adjustment of the alignment stops that position it when closed. The hatch is quite big which means a small misalignment can cause leaks.

Check out 20v.org for bodywork etc tips for this type of Audi Coupe.

orggti

My cars only leak when its raining or i wash them too. Strange ::)