S3 Haldex

Started by waxer, October 31, 2007, 02:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waxer

Hi,  i may have brought this up before, but, has anyony else experienced haldex failure?  Giltraps have had a look at the whirring noise on my S3 and are 70% certain its from the Haldex diff although they are still to do some checks.  Q. Does anyone know of anyone who re-conditions them of can service or fix em? ideally saving my serious coin.  Thanks

maddog66

I have worked audi 4 8 years in the uk and been on nearly every course for audi and they always told us i cant be repaired there is only 3/4 on info given too the techs about the rebuild on this unit but it is a common fault for the haldex 2 get noisey about 80,000 or 5 years more common on tt there is 2 much torque on the unit from the engine as they know this now and there is a 2nd generation unit in the new s3 and tt.

waxer

Update, it turned out to be the Rear Diff unit, thank god covered under the warranty, Giltrap quoted the insurers something like $3k in labour but would have to manufacture $5k in tools as they dont exist in NZ, they opted for a complete replacement, Fed-Exed from Germany, final bill - $10,500!!!.  the best $1600 in insurance i ever took out

Audidude

Quote from: waxer on January 07, 2008, 10:16:35 PM
Update, it turned out to be the Rear Diff unit, thank god covered under the warranty, Giltrap quoted the insurers something like $3k in labour but would have to manufacture $5k in tools as they dont exist in NZ, they opted for a complete replacement, Fed-Exed from Germany, final bill - $10,500!!!.  the best $1600 in insurance i ever took out

That is seriously nuts! $10500 for a diff replacement! :o :o :o
i suspect the true cost without tiers of extortion would be around $1500
I could put a replacement Type R engine, gearbox, race clutch and LSD in my Honda and have change left over!
This sort of rort reinforces people's opinions about the ludicrous repair costs of Euros  ::)
Where's the nearest Japper yard??

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Filx

Quote from: Audidude on February 28, 2008, 11:37:36 AM
I could put a replacement Type R engine, gearbox, race clutch and LSD in my Honda and have change left over!
This sort of rort reinforces people's opinions about the ludicrous repair costs of Euros  ::)

Cheers

Entirely agree! $10K for a diff is just wrong, even with airfreight from Europe. Somebodies winning out of all of it and I doubt it's the consumer.  :-\
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

veedubman

doubt its giltraps either!

three letters come to mind.. E. M. D.

Trofeo

Quote from: ?iva on February 28, 2008, 01:58:26 PM
doubt its giltraps either!

three letters come to mind.. E. M. D.
how do you figure that? EMD is owned by Colin Giltrap
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

RS ZWEI

Quote from: MTMS3 on February 29, 2008, 09:31:12 AM
how do you figure that? EMD is owned by Colin Giltrap

I think when he says Giltraps hes referring to the dealer/dealers network.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

GlenT

Well they charge over $3k for a fibre glass aftermarket rear bumper on the Porsche GT3 Cup Cars, when they cost less than a grand to buy from the local manufacturer!
I believe they may not be selling them at those prices for much longer ;)

sisu

Quote from: Audidude on February 28, 2008, 11:37:36 AM

Cheers

As for items costing more than others well thats life really isn't it. On the other hand I couldn't put a Type R engine,gearbox,race clutch & LSD into a Honda here in the UK for that money either.  The cost of the rear diff unit in a S3/TT is expensive, add to that the NZ$ and its about right. Same as buying an original Indian motorbike outside the US or NZ

106_racecar

Quote from: waxer on October 31, 2007, 02:07:20 PM
Hi,  i may have brought this up before, but, has anyony else experienced haldex failure?  Giltraps have had a look at the whirring noise on my S3 and are 70% certain its from the Haldex diff although they are still to do some checks.  Q. Does anyone know of anyone who re-conditions them of can service or fix em? ideally saving my serious coin.  Thanks
I notice that my S3 had the Haldex unit replaced under warranty when it was a year or two old.  I hope this doesn't resurface ... that said I am thinking of buy ing an expensive after market warranty from Audi NZ.
2007 Golf GTI