help!!! vagcom scan revealed the following

Started by -----, June 05, 2008, 11:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-----

had an issue with the way the car has been running lately. over a period of time it always came back with the maf sensor faulty code.
cleared it and would came back a week later. didnt want to go a buy a new maf just yet as this one is not even a year old. talked to the guys at platinum and they helped me out with a second hand maf for nada just to see if this improved things. they also pointed out the fuse panel that sits on top of the battery was poked and possibly my radiator fans where not working. next day took it to the auto sparky and they replace the panel and test the fans motors for the current hey were drawing. they said the fan motors where drawing 9 amps. does this sound about right?

couple of days later scanned the car and had the following codes

18010/P1602 - Power Supply B+ Terminal 30: Voltage too low 35-10-intermittent

17953/P1545 - Throttle Valve Controller: 35-10 ---intermittent

16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal P0116 - 35-10 - - - intermittent

cleared this and after a week they havent returned, car sits quite high at idle when warming up which could be the coolant temp sensor. this was replaced only 2 months ago though. Also car is still running rough and idle does flutuate a bit.

searched the net and have some thought on these but any help would be appreciated. 

also forgot ...maf code has not come back either

2003 MK4 Jetta VR6 24V 4M S/C - Sold
1999 MK4 Golf GTI Oettinger - Sold

Fizz

hmm... that's odd try cleaning the MAF with carb cleaner, see if that sorts out the rough idling. u could disconnect the MAF and see if the idling improves. As 4 the other stuff not 2 sure  :-\

veedubman

you may be up for a new Throttle body Ignition Swtich and another coolant temp sensor.. check its plugged in..

mafs hardly throw codes..

HaNs

18010/P1602- Possibly the sparky removed the bat cables and it throws up this code.

17953/P1545- Check meas blocks?

16500- Unplug it and replug it in checking all connections?

They may have been caused by the bat being removed/disconnected and ecu reset.

-----

update.

codes have never returned on any of these issues.

since then have had turbo vehicles in auckland look at it recently as it was not boosting. turned to be faulty wiring connection with the N75.

today driving home. while sitting in traffic. car run really rough but no drop in idle. Seemed to be running on 3 or less cylinders or running very rich. The cat smell was also very strong. Pulled away from lights and had no power and car run very rough. Pulled up quicky down a side street and had a look under the bonnet. No visible signs of hoses not fitted correctly or anything else obvious. Turned the car over again and ran sweet. Decided to drive it although slowly home. No issues until again i was caught in traffic a number of lights later and tried to take off again...no power again
and noisey rough running. Unfortunately as i was on a short stretch of motorway this time i had no where to pull over and had to keep going and after a bit of time the noisey rough running did stop and power delivery was fine.

Didnt do it gain on the way home and a check with the Vagcom has produced no codes

with the way it was running i thought it would give a misfire code on at least one cyclinder

a check round the net has not turned up anything that it is just a lota of could be's

possible boost or vacumm leak, faulty 02 sensor.?

any ideas out there

80 Vert

MAF sensor perhaps? Have had these go bad and no faults show with a scan.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

VR6

sometimes the ignition amp on the side of the air box gives trouble. When they do it makes the car run on 3 cylinders. but usually they stay on 3 cylinders. Coil packs can also short to the side of the head and they can be intermittent. Remove the coil packs and check for corrosion as this is why they usually fail

veedubman

Quote from: VR6 on August 04, 2008, 07:39:33 AM
sometimes the ignition amp on the side of the air box gives trouble. When they do it makes the car run on 3 cylinders. but usually they stay on 3 cylinders. Coil packs can also short to the side of the head and they can be intermittent. Remove the coil packs and check for corrosion as this is why they usually fail

Coil Packs also give excellent Electrical Shocks :)

21psi - dublover

Definitely is the ignition amp on the side of the airbox... Had the exact same problem... lost alot of power and it came on and off so it was quite hard to troubleshoot... The Golf sounded a bit like a subaru under load, that god its fixed, got some very strange looks when it happened... :P

-----

Quote from: 21psi - dublover on August 05, 2008, 01:03:13 AM
Definitely is the ignition amp on the side of the airbox... Had the exact same problem... lost alot of power and it came on and off so it was quite hard to troubleshoot... The Golf sounded a bit like a subaru under load, that god its fixed, got some very strange looks when it happened... :P

well its in the shop today. just talking to the guy at the the shop and he seemed to think first off coilpacks given what i explained to him.  Told him that  they had been replaced abought 18 months ago just after i first got the car.

does sound like a sad rs subaru when it does happen.  so ignition amp could be the way to go

veedubman

hrmmm the Subaru Sound thing is a real blatant givaway for the ignition amp thingy