$65,000 Mk1 GTI

Started by bigbumper, August 16, 2008, 09:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

So why did Fiat win so many? Was it because they stuck with that same motor for so long and managed to get the best drivers on their team?
The Fiat motor is a great motor but theres more to it than just that surely.
And as far as torque goes I thought the VW motors had more torque down low than a big valve twin cam motor ??? i remember my 125 having no torque at all, it was only a 1600 tho but then my first golf was a 1500. 
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

spooln

Fiat wins...it was the Abarth department, just look at the development of the 037 and Delta S4 engines, and the turbos on the silhouette cars. A lot of wins in the 1300cc range as well. So in the end a more diverse spread of cars using a similar engine. Im sure if Audi had 600hp If into everything they had they would have more victories?

Back to Mk1, thats a lot of $. Shame to have such a cool car and not drive it I reckon. If the owner had put the money down as a deposit on a house in the UK 25 years ago I think the return would have been better.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

bigbumper

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on August 18, 2008, 07:59:06 AM
I heard 65,000 pounds for a one owner 2.3 done about 20,000kms.

Ok thats more than I expected... some people have more money than sense.

Quote from: BB on August 18, 2008, 08:26:07 AM
So why did Fiat win so many? Was it because they stuck with that same motor for so long and managed to get the best drivers on their team?
The Fiat motor is a great motor but theres more to it than just that surely.

Fiat stuck with the motor (and rallying) for a very long time, and evolved it over time: it started as 1800cc with the 124 abarth, then 2000cc with the 131 Abarth.  Then with Lancia it was an 1800 s/c in the 037, an 1800 turbo & s/c in the S4 and finally 2000 turbo in the Integrale

GTI's

Fastfrogs.co.nz

5 Pots ate em all up and stopped racing as they had No competition!

Anyway you don't see many old Fiats gracing the streets these days.
i always wanted a strada abarth but couldn't find one without rust issues :'(
my brother knows how to give a 70 Uno an italian tune up!

bigbumper

Quote from: GTI's on August 18, 2008, 10:45:07 AM
Anyway you don't see many old Fiats gracing the streets these days.

You don't see many 5cyl Audis rolling around either!

And the Audis were well beaten by the 205GTi and the Delta S4 so they withdrew from WRC

RS ZWEI

Quote from: bigbumper on August 18, 2008, 01:07:34 PM
You don't see many 5cyl Audis rolling around either!

And the Audis were well beaten by the 205GTi and the Delta S4 so they withdrew from WRC

5 pot (turbo) Audi's are rare.
As for the 205 T16 and Delta S4 beating the quattro, those cars were crazy mid-mounted space framed silhouettes, the quattro was basically the modified version of a mass produced road car, the 205 T16 and Delta S4 are not.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

5-pot

Fiat was in rallying a lot longer than Audi too, I'm pretty sure...
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

spooln

I just wish both of them would get back into rallying in a big way.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

ritmo

I couldn't agree more sploon. And dare i say mitsi also.

bigbumper

Audi = LeMans
Seat = ETCC
So it'd be Skoda = WRC if VAG decided to get back into rallying.  Didn't go so well for them last time they tried, but maybe if they convinced M. Loeb to join... it could be like Rossi going to Yamaha or Schuey to Ferrari  ;D

And despite the "rally-lite for TV" concept it doesn't seem to be attracting the manufacturers back does it?

Mk1Golfman

There's a Strada Arbarth in Nelson, twin cam motor in it as I  have been out twice on breakdowns to it!!
Looks the part, not sure on the body work, looks a bit tired.

ritmo

Quote from: Mk1Golfman on August 28, 2008, 08:04:43 PM
There's a Strada Arbarth in Nelson, twin cam motor in it as I  have been out twice on breakdowns to it!!
Looks the part, not sure on the body work, looks a bit tired.

sssh don't tell nik ;)

All of them have twincam motors in golfman. Good to see one keeping you busy.

oily

For those with a hankering for Mk1 Golfs you can still buy them as the South African built VW Citi.

RHD, with R and Storm versions, interior from a Skoda Fabia, the classic Golfball gearknob and not likely to cost you $65k.

R-line is R115,920/ ~$21,676NZD

;D

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/23/in-south-africa-vw-citi-golf-gets-rated-r/

http://www.vw.co.za/models/citi/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Citi

GTI's

Thats very cool! Haven't seen the R version before that.
they should make a factory 1,8t version!

spooln