Change your Brake Fuid - ASAP...

Started by swayv6, June 01, 2005, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swayv6

To all drivers with ABS fitted.... make sure you change your brake fluid each year.
My VR6 ABS light started flashing every now and then, eventually it stayed on.
I thought it may have been a loose connection or sensor, but no it was the ABS modulator valve sticking.
This is the unit that is inside the engine bay, grey box with cowl on top - where all your brake pipes run to.
Improrted Golfs that have not been regualry serviced can suffer from water in the fluid (it is hydrsocpic- attracts water).
Eventually this leads to sticky valves in the modulator (makes the banging noise that fires the brakes for you).
To keep em moving you need to make the ABS work a few times a week (brake on grass for a few metres). This way you keep the fuid moving and avoid sticky valves.
BUT ABOVE ALL - make sure you change your fluid.
If you have not done this for a year - DO IT THIS WEEK.
It cost me nearly $1,000 to have the unit taken out, repaired and refitted, then have the VAGCOM remove the fault code, then have new fluid bled through. Brakes are awaesome now... but at a cost!!! :o

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

1.8t

Ill have a look at mine, where do I get ABS fluid from?

Cheers
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

orggti

its just brake fluid. make sure you use dot four. it is v good to bleed your fuid through every year or two but in actuall practice the fluid dosent all move through the system very well and bleeding dosent really get all the old fluid out like youd want so if your fluid is old and gritty you may have probs even if you do bleed. Thats why its good to do it every two years from new. But once its dirty you got a prob. In fact if its dirty as, becareful bleeding it as you can end up ruining your master cylynder making it go to a place in the bore it dosent normally go, when it may have been fine for a year or two more. Bloody cars.

MRVR6

Now, where can I find some grass to test the ABS? How about braking hard in snow since we're winter now?
Thanks for the tip, that's what make joining a forum a worthwhile effort.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: MRVR6 on June 02, 2005, 08:56:10 AM
Now, where can I find some grass to test the ABS? How about braking hard in snow since we're winter now?
Thanks for the tip, that's what make joining a forum a worthwhile effort.

Brake hard on any surface and the ABS will come on.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8