1999 A3 1.8t

Started by Dazanz, July 10, 2008, 09:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazanz

Hi. I have just got my wife a A3 1.8t completed 57.000ks. Colour coding the front/rear and side sills to silver instead of black. Have tints and a set of 5 spoke 18inch replica Audi 2008 wheels fitted. The Engine/exhaust etc is standard. goes well but we will be driving this car around most of the time(MY chipped 2006 GT Falcon is thirsty as on gas) Can you offer me advice on what modifications we can start to do to increase KW. Starting from the first priority KW increase modification. I was thinking remove the cat but I then need to Modify the Ecu. Thanks In Advance for you help. Daren and Martina 

veedubman

you dont NEED to modify the ecu if you remove the Cat...

but getting a chip from Say Superchips or Revotechnik

will give you a few more ponies..

my 1.8t had 220hp at the engine..

Turbo

a few members have had/have chipped S3's. best bang for buck.

it seems to get the most of of removing the cat you should chip again, so might as well do both at the same time.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

GLIDN

is A3 turbo manual or auto?
If manual, i would strongly recommend getting a better clutch, or your new found performance will not be enjoy for long, say as little as 25minutes, as that is how long some factory clutches lasted before total melt down.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Dazanz

Thanks. Is there anyone you can recommend to make up or sell a cat replacement pipe or should I just go to my local Pitstop who seem pretty good as long as he is confident in installing the 2 sensor threads, weld on the 2 flanges and bolt the thing on. 

Dazanz

Its a manual unfortunately. my wifes request.

GLIDN

Go see Mr Muffler in Onehunga - the mans name is dean. I works on a majority of our cars exhaust if needed.
He is super helpful, super knowledgeable. and best of all he does not cost an arm and a leg.

Something else you might want to do is find some Stainless piping to replace you CAT with, seeing the whole factory exhaust system is Stainless anyway.

GLIDN

What you mean unfortunately a Manual

Do you know how much Gas you are saving by not having an Auto.
Plus how much fun you could be having the fact that it's a manual.

Ok so the clutch seriously should be done before major work gets done. As far as improving on what you have here are a few little things you can do to it yourself and will make that much nicer to live with.

Doing a larger Downpipe, and Doing the Turbo Inlet Pipe. Replace all the factory Vacuum hoses on the intake manifold and DV and Fuel pressure regulator. While you are at it do a panel replacement filter too.
on the VW/Audi's you will not see a major HP increase in these mods. But what you will see is more torque earlier on in the REV range and also holds a little bit longer.

Hope this helps.

Dazanz

Sure does help thanks. Would a Pod filter be better than replacing the panel filter or would that allow to much engine heat in unless I make up a Air box.?

Dazanz

Sorry I meant Unfortunately an Auto.

veedubman

ugh..

definatly dont chip it then.. unless you like paying for new gearboxes that are made out of unobtainium

Trofeo

Quote from: Dazanz on July 11, 2008, 12:32:31 AM
Sure does help thanks. Would a Pod filter be better than replacing the panel filter or would that allow to much engine heat in unless I make up a Air box.?
don't bother with a pod filter (just soaks up the heat) - just grab a panel filter if you want to free up the breathing a little.

My advice would be to run it on a dyno to verify the horsepower first. If it is down on power, get that sorted first, and then lose the cat, and get it chipped (always dyno afterwards to check it's not running to lean). Being an auto you prob wouldn't want much more than 200hp, but a custom ecu map could limit torque in the lower gears to prevent damage/wheelspin (at least i know the newer cars can do this). Talk to a few chip companies about this option before you hand over the cash. The common ones are Revo, Chiptuning and Superchips. They all vary in their prices too.

2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

GLIDN

TBH there is no real difference between pod filter located all the way down in the front left behind the bumper, than running a panel replacement filter with some ducting pipe.

Hmm, chipping a Auto 1.8t is a hit and miss, it will either work or it will either brake.

chances are more that if it was NZ new i would chip it, if it was import i would not unless you have full service history of the car. and have replaced all the gearbox fluid and it came back with good bill of health.

Dazanz

Its a Jap import completed 57.000kms. But has been serviced by the Jap owner every 8000km (looking in the service manual) It is a very clean tight car. I have a 2 year mechanical warranty.But they will just chuck in a second hand high kms auto and this one shifts very nice. I have a plan formulated from your guys advice.
go to a dyno day. hopefully 110kw.(I think is standard)
replace cat
replace the vacuum tubes
upgrade the air filter and possible the turbo inlet.
Go to the dyno day. hopefully 120kw or more.
I do need to do this on a budget otherwise I should of just got a 1.8t sport, but they were $14000 + and high kms.

Leave it at that and enjoy the car.

Dazanz

The DV and Fuel pressure regulator. should I go after market which is expensive or just get new ones from CC.

djrisk

Get a 710N dv from CCS, its the same DV they put in the higher boosting S3
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

RS ZWEI

Quote from: djrisk on July 11, 2008, 11:24:48 AM
Get a 710N dv from CCS, its the same DV they put in the higher boosting S3

I think its the only DV you can get now from VAG.
If I was you Id go to Giltraps Part Dept, see Simon, hes a good bloke who can help you out.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

veedubman

why would you do the fuel reg.?

GLIDN

Again leave the fuel reg alone, it's not needed to be touched till you start making around 250whp.

the turbo Inlet pipe's are usually around $350ish +/- $10.
DV valve S3 unit - around $75 - $100ish
Vacuum Hoses - Around $20
Panel replacement unit - Around $150ish

All in all all the parts will set you back around $700 worst case.

Doing the downpipe is a recommended add on - they are around $220 - $280
Do the fitting of the DP while doing the CAT removal. (but don't say I did not warn you about the pre and post CAT sensors).

All in all doing all those things, will give you more pleasant driving experience.

Dazanz

Dubbed said on previous message its a good idea. But I guess at only 57.000kms it will still be in good condition.