Hub nut

Started by Pristle, June 08, 2005, 05:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

HELP...!! '86 90Q sedan

Our Son got his pricey wheel bearing (he decided on his wages, one at a time).

After listening carefully he decided the right hand unit sounded worse, off came the wheel, off came the brake caliper assembly, then came a lot of cussing and perhaps a precursor to an audition for the next Mitre10 Mega commercial. We gave up when we found ourselves lifting the rear almost clear of the ground and the socket wrench bending under the weight.

Is there something we're missing, that our winter chilled senses aren't picking up on? I've never encountered anything that tough to release.

P.

Pushbutton_auto

hmmm, split pin  ?
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

Duncan

I don't know the torque specs off the top of my head, but these are pretty tight. IIRC there is no split pin, it's just a straight nut, which has been partially crushed by the factory to make it  self locking. To avoid lifting the car, I would switch sides so you are pushing *down* on the bar. A good quality strongarm (or breaker bar) and maybe an extension of some sort (any old bit of tube) to lengthen it should help.
Basically, confirm it is a simple nut (I can confirm if you can send pics) and then apply more power! If your tools aren't up to it, you may need to beg/borrow/steal something better.
Where are you based? SOmeone local may be able to help...

Pristle

Duncan, you're correct, there is no split pin on these, just a muther of a nut, 32!! The suggestion of a partially crushed nut doesn't surprise me, Durch Vorsprung Technik and all that. What I don't think helps either is the apparent rust in the thread, more than a little CRC required.

As for pushing down, tried that, I'm 110kgs and it still wouldn't budge. We hope to have another crack at it tomorrow, with a sturdy extension pipe. With some sun we hope, so the fingers don't feel as they're about to snap off.

We're in Ellerslie.

P..

wilco

Good luck mate, 110 on the end of a pipe should be plenty of Nm's!? Oh and when it gets down to minus 6 like it was in Taupo the other night then you can rightly give up working on the car!? ? Cheers. ;D

Duncan

Pristle,

If you run out of options, I'm in Browns Bay, and we could crack it for you with the impact wrench. You can get me on 021 240 8037.

Good luck,

Duncan