ABF into mk 1

Started by BB, July 25, 2008, 09:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

Hi chaps I have ditched my race motor as you know and have now got a ABF block thanks to the awsum guys at Platnuim.
I am using my old box and clutch for now as it was all new and ok, will fit the mk3 cable shift box later.
I have fitted a new cambelt and tentioner..... ouch the tensioner was $330  :o :o I got it for $170 from Partmaster god bless them.
The crank sensor wire was all cracked and broken but i luckily had one that Bsting had given me ;) thanks Bsting.

Ok now i need to know  a few things
1 Does the ECU i have have the immobilizer in it? Its a Siemens 037 906 024 ae or maybe its a 5wp4 167. I hope it dosen't have the immobilizer or I'm stuffed i think :P
2 How do i power up the ecu? i have split the loom down to the wires that come from the ECU and go to the engine. I have been very careful to leave the wires that go up to the dash and hopefully the VagCom plug. I am not fitting a mk 3 dash so i dont really need the wires but i may fit one later.
I will use my existing loom to feed the oil light, temp.... is that all?
I will use a mk 3 alt so i got to work that out as well :P

3 does anybody know how to make the crank water pump and alt pulleys all work? As i dont have A/C or P/S I have a real problem getting this to all work. i know i just have to find the right link to somebody who has done it on VW vortex or something, any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly received.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

portmanteau

according to this guy (see link), post 1993 you will have the immobiliser, and your ecu was in 1995 cars

I guess you have seen this guide before?

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133418&highlight=abf+ecu

The guy who runs www.s2central.net can, I think, recode the equivalent audi ecus to delete the immobiliser.  I'm guessing he could do the same to the VW digifant version, but it would mean sending the ecu to the UK

Here is another option:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169853&highlight=abf+ecu

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168741&highlight=abf+ecu

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

Angle

Are you running the ABF fuel injection or do you just have the block and running carbs or is it a hybrid system?

portmanteau

Quote from: AngleBox on July 25, 2008, 12:09:11 PM
Are you running the ABF fuel injection or do you just have the block and running carbs or is it a hybrid system?

sounds like he wants to use the digifant ecu ............

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

80 Vert

It will have an IMMO, if you can get the key reader and the key you will be sweet. Otherwise you may have to wire in the scan port so that a key can be coded to the ECU, bit more stuffing around but perfectly doable.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

slayer00

Would be sweet to run it on carbs

80 Vert

Why would you want to loose your driveability doing that?
Injection is the way to fly.

slayer00

You wouldnt loose driveability

80 Vert

Cold mornings, no chokes- hmm no thanks. Have had many aircooled VW's on carbs, injection much better.
Carbs have their place but not on a modern VW engine, just my opinion though  ;)

BB

I want the EFI from the mk3 to run anglebox.
It looks pretty easy to connect the hoses to the fuel rail and I will be able to use the origonal k-jet mk 1 fuel pump with a regulator. Will the reg on the rail thats already there be enough to control the extra pressure a k-jet has?

I doubt i will be able to get the key and reader :P ill ask but i dont think so and the rest of what you say maybe i need to pay somebody to do ???
do they call this digifant in the mk3 as well?
thanks alot from the start to all who give me advice and links to site where I can get the info i need. I know this is a fairly straight forward swap but it is still quite a new thing to me.

BB

Why would i want to spend an extra thousand dollars to put it on some carbs ::) ::)

80 Vert

The regulator will have a set pressure so exess fuel should be bypassed.
The key reader and control box from a simmilar year car (engine year)
will work fine, you need the ign, key reader and control box.
Provided you wire up your diagnostic port you will be able to code a key with vag-com.
The MK3 IMMO isn't in the cluster like a MK4 so its simpler to adapt to older cars.
Should make a nice combo for you.

gti vr6

1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

BB

Ok thanks vert I will hunt down these parts. i am pretty sure i will still have the Diagnostic port I have been very careful to sort the loom and keep any plugs that were part of the ecu, i totally want to be able to use Vag com to scan it.

Angle

That will be very cool. I'd leave the ECU port under the drip tray and make a rubber bit to cover it all up with. I guess you could always put it under the dash as well.

BB

Ill probibly put it where they have them in the mk3s ;) make it kind of familiar to people who work on them. I may fit a mk 3 dash and gauges one day as the parts will be as good as free. or maybe i will just fit the gauges and keep the origional dash if that fits at all?

Angle

Hidden behind a panel next to the ash tray?  ;) Looking forward to hear how it works. I think you'll need to get a different set of pulleys as well or is this one already less A/C, power steering, etc?

80 Vert

Different pulleys needed, or custom make something. Sure you could use pulleys etc from MK2 engine to make it all work.

robh

Quote from: Michael on July 25, 2008, 05:29:17 PM
Would be sweet to run it on carbs

Carbs are for old school aussie muscle cars and people that like carrying around a box of jets for different seasons  ;)
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

Filx

Great project Jem - keep us fully updated! Would love to see some pics as you go along as well.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning