ABF into mk 1

Started by BB, July 25, 2008, 09:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Period_Correct_

told ya im no good with vag stuff buddy...  ;)

its gonna be a minter mate...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

Period_Correct_

and yea.... carbs are outdated.... ITBS is where its at!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

BB

Lets forget about the carbs. :)

Yes the pulleys, as mentioned I'm hoping some genius (who is way better at searching than me)is going to magically show me a pic, and instructions of exactly what I need to do, basically what has been done before. i can easy enough make some brackets and stuff but in the end its been done before and I wanna see somebody else's sweat go into make mine easy.  ;D There are far cleverer mechanics out there than me.
So come on chaps I will deposit $20 into the online account of anybody who provides the best system info for this.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Angle

Save your money Jem and scan VW Vortex or Club GTI. It'll be there. S has just come back from Japan, or I'd go for a bit of a look for you.

BB

There is a kit you can buy for mega dollars :P on VW vortex. i wont be doing that.
i have been told there is a bracket and alternator that is fitted to a mk3 that has no a/c but that they are quite rare.
Is anybody wreaking a mk3 with no A/c?

Angle

Quote from: BB on July 26, 2008, 11:44:13 AM
There is a kit you can buy for mega dollars :P on VW vortex. i wont be doing that.
i have been told there is a bracket and alternator that is fitted to a mk3 that has no a/c but that they are quite rare.
Is anybody wreaking a mk3 with no A/c?

No, not a kit. Guys do lots of swaps and if you posted up a question (after you searched) you'd find an answer. There are several posts on ABF swaps.

BB

Yes i have found a few but none that really help me surprisingly. thats why i will happily pay $20 and hopefully get a bit of help ;) its not much but somebody might think its good to win it.

VR6

Worked on a mk3 with no aircon today and that is the system you want to run. Funny how one turns up the next day after you have just been talking about one. Still runs a ribbed belt but the water pump has a smooth pulley and the belt runs on the back side when it runs over the water pump. Very much like a VR6 arrangement. There is a seperate belt that runs the power steering so the ribbed belt only runs the alternator and water pump. PERFECT !! I have the alternator to fit that arrangement but not the bracket to suit. It would be worth calling Euroline for just the bracket and water pump pulley as the alternator sits low and would clear the inlet manifold of the ABF. That way you get to keep the excellent ribbed belt and not have to go back to vee belts.As for the Immoblizer, I swaped a bad (first one ever )ecu in another MK3 today also and had to extract the pin code to be able to code the key. I thought the tacho was holding the pin but I will remove a speedo next week and see if the sucker still goes.

BB

Quote from: VR6 on July 26, 2008, 08:26:14 PM
Worked on a mk3 with no aircon today and that is the system you want to run. Funny how one turns up the next day after you have just been talking about one. Still runs a ribbed belt but the water pump has a smooth pulley and the belt runs on the back side when it runs over the water pump. Very much like a VR6 arrangement. There is a seperate belt that runs the power steering so the ribbed belt only runs the alternator and water pump. PERFECT !! I have the alternator to fit that arrangement but not the bracket to suit. It would be worth calling Euroline for just the bracket and water pump pulley as the alternator sits low and would clear the inlet manifold of the ABF. That way you get to keep the excellent ribbed belt and not have to go back to vee belts.As for the Immoblizer, I swaped a bad (first one ever )ecu in another MK3 today also and had to extract the pin code to be able to code the key. I thought the tacho was holding the pin but I will remove a speedo next week and see if the sucker still goes.
Thank you so much VR6, i will do exactly that ;) i will ring on monday and see what i can get and can i have or buy that ALT off you?
Alan at Platnuim said they had one of those brackets but they threw it away :P And maybe i can get you over to help me with my key recode once i get the other parts I need, key reader and black box is it?

80 Vert

The black box is under the dash by the steering colum, the key reader plugs into it. No immo in the cluster as they only use key, reader and black box for conversions into MK2's
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

VR6

crap that will be easy then. See you soon. All you need to do is code the key to the ABF ECU once you get everything in place. I would fit a MK3 key barrel to the mk1 steering column, which has the key reader and get your door handles changed to suit the coded mk3 key. I,ll get a black box that I have got the pin code to out ready for you.

BB

If its easy to swap the ignition onto my column i will do that but if not is it one of those keys and reader things that you just have to have the key next to the reader?

80 Vert

You could also take the barrel out and put it in your housing but i think fitting the whole lock/ign unit will be easy.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

portmanteau

Quote from: BB on July 27, 2008, 05:35:31 PM
If its easy to swap the ignition onto my column i will do that but if not is it one of those keys and reader things that you just have to have the key next to the reader?

This was covered competely in the first link that I posted for you at the start of this thread.

The crude but effective approach seems to be just to tape the transponder from the immobiliser key onto the coil reader, and hide the both of them inside the dash.

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

VR6

But if you use the mk3 golf key and barrel it just might help one day when someone else likes your car more than you.

BB

Quote from: VR6 on July 28, 2008, 07:59:17 AM
But if you use the mk3 golf key and barrel it just might help one day when someone else likes your car more than you.

I will try to do it this way but will do it the easy way if i have trouble, thanks guys, lots to get on with now.

BB

Ok after spending a half day at Platnuim I now have the ignition with key and reader the black box, the fuse box and the rest of the loom i needed.
I have spent the evening going through the loom and cutting out what i don't need and finding i had cut out some of what i do need :P oh well a soldering iron and shrink wrap will cure that.
i was unsure as to how the key system and the VAGcom plug connected to the ECU. It connects through the fuse box, so i will be adding the fuse box too along with my other one :)
Still got a few probs tho, i will need the correct coil and i don't know which wires go to the coil yet, plus my black box wires come out and go into a small plug in box that has only one wire going out and then another wire that i don't know where it goes :P
the MK 3 wiring loom is a crazy mess i can tell you! however i feel as though i am about 50% through sortingg it so it wont be that bad.

I also got the pulleys and stuff I needed, which is a huge problem solved, I got that alt off Platnuim and then rang euroline and Rob sold me a bracket and the pulley for the water pump for $75, so that was easy.

Photos soon.

portmanteau

Quote from: BB on July 29, 2008, 09:05:40 AM

i was unsure as to how the key system and the VAGcom plug connected to the ECU. It connects through the fuse box, so i will be adding the fuse box too along with my other one :)
Still got a few probs tho,.................... my black box wires come out and go into a small plug in box that has only one wire going out and then another wire that i don't know where it goes :P

Again, these questions are are all addressed in the first link that I referred you to, complete with photos

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

VR6

No the first link shows how to fit an ABF into a mk2 with KR and retaining the KR fuel injection system, which would be easy as.

dubstar

Quote from: VR6 on July 29, 2008, 01:15:58 PM
No the first link shows how to fit an ABF into a mk2 with KR and retaining the KR fuel injection system, which would be easy as.

No, if you read the whole thread it shows how to use the mk3 ecu/loom/keys.  perhaps read more, write less ;D
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."