Intercooler Sprayer How To Setup

Started by veedubman, July 29, 2008, 11:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veedubman

Source Topic: VW Vortex by User 'the_journalist'

All of the intercooler sprayer setups I've seen use the rear washer for a GTI as a source for the fluid and pump.  I actually use my rear washer, and think it looks stupid to have the rear wiper turned on while you are blasting through the mountains in hot weather.  I'm also not too fond of using washer fluid to cool down a hot intercooler.  The rear washer idea leaves Jetta owners out in the cold too.  So, here's my solution:

Parts needed
1.Generic windshield washer pump
2.Generic radiator overflow tank with mounting bracket (Found mine at Pep Boys)
3. A few feet of 1/4" vacuum line
4. A few feet of 14 guage wire
5. Switch of your choice
6.Misting nozzle from Home Depot
7.Self drilling screws
8.Various electrical fittings to get power to the pump

Remove the front bumper skin. (If you haven't done it before, it will almost frighten you to know how little is holding the front of your car on there)
Mount the radiator overflow tank and pump to frame on the driver's side of the car using the self drilling screws.  Also, use spade lug on the ground wire to the pump and ground it to one of the screws you mounted the pump with. Cars with CAIs may have to find another spot to mount the tank, but this keeps the tank below the nozzle and prevents it from siphoning the tank dry while parked.  No aquarium valves needed!

Here's a better shot of the pump (little black cylinder just above and left of the tank)

Route the hose from the lower fitting on the tank to the intake of the pump and another across the car to the nozzle (you can see mine across the top of the bumper core in the first pic.)  You may need a couple of different sizes of hose and adapters to get everything mated up.
I can't remember the brand, but the nozzle I used can be found at Home Depot with all the irrigation stuff in the plumbing section.  They come in packs of three for about $6.  Use the small plastic piece of tubing that comes with the nozzles and zip tie the whole thing to the part of your bumper that the tow eye screws into like this:

Be sure the adjustment valve on the nozzle is all the way open.
Take a third piece of hose and run it up through the fender next to the battery.  Connect the lower end to the vent fitting on the tank you installed.  This will allow you to fill the tank later.  You won't be able to get to the tank's lid once you put the bumper back on.  Take a knife or an awl and punch a hole in the cap on the tank. If you forget this step, it will blow the lid off the tank when you try to fill it up. :eek:
Finally, splice some wire onto the positive lead for the pump and run it through the firewall.  Get power to it however you prefer to do it.  I used a toggle switch just above the ash tray, but others may prefer a momentary switch mounted wherever.  It's your car...
Fill the tank with water and test the system.  You will probably want to fool around with aiming it.  Just remember that you need to consider the airflow coming into the intercooler.
Reinstall your bumper skin. 

Enjoy not having a heat soaked intercooler when it's hot outside.
To refill the tank, just hold a garden sprayer to the end of the extra hose you ran up next to the battery and gently fill the tank until water runs out the bottom of the car. 

Simple, functional and costs less than $30 in parts