56 Oval

Started by 57oval, July 31, 2008, 09:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

57oval

A little something to keep the air-cooled appreciated. My new car, I bought this a month ago. It is a ChCh car originally, 56 - 82, then moved to Invercargill until now. I flew down to collect it and drive home. This is a totally original matching numbers car with only two very small paint touch-ups. Check out these photos that I took while cruising home.    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11966916@N07/sets/72157606252817295/show/
03' NZ New 4Motion Passat
MK2 GTI
56' Oval Beetle - stock
56' Oval Beetle - stock, project
57' Oval Beetle - modified, 2165cc engine, narrowed beam with disc brakes - project
65' Kombi
66' Split Kombi - Devon Torvette with Dormobile Pop Top
86 T25 Westfalia

tedz

Very nice score on that one mate, love the early plate too.

From the stories going around I thought we'd lost you to the "dark side". now i see there was no cause for concern. ;)
00 Passat 1.8T Manual
76 1303 Cabrio

gti vr6

Its beautiful!!

Reminds me of my first car.... Colour wise any way. Mine was only a 62 no where near as old as that.

Is it going to stay original?
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

Filx

Awesome car! One for the collection.

And the pictures are great - just make me want to go for a cruise somewhere. What camera are you using?
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

57oval

Quote from: tedz on August 04, 2008, 11:18:51 PM
Very nice score on that one mate, love the early plate too.

From the stories going around I thought we'd lost you to the "dark side". now i see there was no cause for concern. ;)

Cheers Colin, I sold my bus and the little 61 that you drove at Hanmer, swapped straight into my new Golf so I did bloody well!! I was getting too 'old' to be cruising in a slammed big engined Kombi.

As for crossing to the dark side, I love them all, i can't tell you how much fun it is to blast around in, done 8000 k's already. I seem to remember you owning a Passat there for awhile.

Quote from: gti vr6 on August 05, 2008, 05:25:44 AM

Is it going to stay original?
Absolutely, to find a car like this and of this vintage is becoming a bit of a rarity, any of us can restore a car, you can't do original again. I have another 56 as well, another original car but with some rust removal been done and nearing completion. I also have a 57 that is a total body off the pan resto, this is being slammed, narrowed disc beam and a 2165cc engine and freeway flyer box in it. A work in progress.

Quote from: Filx on August 05, 2008, 07:58:23 AM
Awesome car! One for the collection.

And the pictures are great - just make me want to go for a cruise somewhere. What camera are you using?

Thanks, the camera is just a compact Canon Power Shot A640 10MP

MK2 GTI
56' Oval Beetle - stock
57' Oval Beetle - modified, 2165cc engine, narrowed beam with disc brakes - project
65' Kombi
86 T25 Westfalia

SOFTLAD

Those pics are amazing, I found myself being almost memorized by the flowing lines of the car. They don't build them like they used to, and it proves if you look after something it will last, unlike the disposable culture of today.
Really cool car 8) 8)

57oval

Quote from: SOFTLAD on August 05, 2008, 12:08:47 PM
Really cool car 8) 8)

Thanks.

I washed my Golf today then parked it next to the Oval, here's a crap load of photos for any one thats interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11966916@N07/sets/72157606548849765/show/
MK2 GTI
56' Oval Beetle - stock
65' Kombi
86 T25 Westfalia

SOFTLAD

You have a very good eye for a good photo, I love the one of the GTI badge with the tree reflection in the body work all in focus.
There a some fantastic panel shapes on the '56.......the way the head light sits in the front guard, and the raised W on the rear deck lid dragged down from along the sides of the roof 8)

tedz

Umm yea, we still got the passat :-[

It has been troublefree motoring for the wife. She says, I can play all day with that old aircooled stuff as long as she's got something reliable.

I didn't realise there was an age limit to cruising in a slammed big engined Kombi. A lot of guys are gunna be dissappointed to hear that.

It's all about the toys, and it's good to see you've still got more than your fair share.

Cheers
00 Passat 1.8T Manual
76 1303 Cabrio

vonripsnorter

Quote from: tedz on August 04, 2008, 11:18:51 PM

From the stories going around I thought we'd lost you to the "dark side".

I sometimes wonder which side is the DARK SIDE!! Air cooled or water Cooled??

You could successfully argue the point for both sides I think, I just love the way My V5 Golf sounds & goes.

Took my Beetle out for a Sunday drive yesterday , first time it was used since March! & what a hoot they are!!
Seems every where I stopped, People would come over & make a positive comment or two!! & it certainly turns heads  :)

To think it crossed my mind yesterday (even though it was very briefly) if I should sell it to make room for a new Scirocco

(something else will have to go ;) )

Filx

Aaaargh - stop posting those lovely Beetles.  ;D I've gotta get me some aircooled action again soon I think.  >:D
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

57oval

Quote from: vonripsnorter on September 01, 2008, 12:44:51 PM

To think it crossed my mind yesterday (even though it was very briefly) if I should sell it to make room for a new Scirocco

Don't sell!! Buy a new Scirocco by all means, but don't sell your beetle.

Now that I have apparently crossed to the 'dark side', I kick myself that I didn't buy your GTI, it looks cheap now.

MK2 GTI
56' Oval Beetle - stock
65' Kombi
86 T25 Westfalia

80 Vert

Quote from: Filx on September 01, 2008, 04:46:39 PM
Aaaargh - stop posting those lovely Beetles.  ;D I've gotta get me some aircooled action again soon I think.  >:D

Just doooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Less thinking about it, more action  ;D
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

vonripsnorter

Quote from: 57oval on September 01, 2008, 06:00:49 PM
Don't sell!! Buy a new Scirocco by all means, but don't sell your beetle.

Now that I have apparently crossed to the 'dark side', I kick myself that I didn't buy your GTI, it looks cheap now.

That GTi of mine was a real bargin for the guy that got it, There is a lot of debate on here as to the price of MK2's But I have not seen one as good overall since I sold it & I even got an email from the guy who got mine to say that it was "Better" than he was expecting!! ::)

Any one who knows me & buys one of my 'old' cars will be getting top notch examples of what ever it is I'm selling at the time, & its Murphy's law, I have had a good dozen people come to me "After" I sold the GTi & some tell me they would have paid more than I got for it simply because they have been looking long & hard & cant find one to compare

(maybe I should have kept it :-\)

I know it would be the same story if I let the Beetle go!!, not to many around like this one

Angle

Let me know when the 'bargain' is for sale  ;D. I'm still hooked on the old Beetles, but only want one with a massive motor. Both of these are great looking cars.

vonripsnorter

Quote from: AngleBox on September 01, 2008, 08:12:05 PM
Let me know when the 'bargain' is for sale  ;D. I'm still hooked on the old Beetles, but only want one with a massive motor. Both of these are great looking cars.
Make me an offer I cant refuse & you will be getting one of the best 1300 Beetles in the country

vonripsnorter

Nice.....................even if I say so myself ;)

Keep in mind that this interior is all original & has not been redone!!...........................not bad for a 40 year old car

Bullseye

Wow that is stunning, a credit to you and the previous owners, well done!
B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

rambo_005

Very very tidy... still have a soft spot for aircooleds, but I'd much rather have one with a Porsche badge ;)

57oval

If anyone is interested in Vonripsnorter's beetle, you won't find a better car. It easily won our ChCh Nationals, hands down. This is an incredibly sound example of a beetle of this era. Highly recommended.

However, I would still prefer to see you hang on to it Paul!!
MK2 GTI
56' Oval Beetle - stock
65' Kombi
86 T25 Westfalia