If there was ever any doubt that older is better:

Started by portmanteau, August 09, 2008, 01:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portmanteau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBVBlFCT2g&feature=related

I have experienced exactly this situation so many times  ...... my S6 with EDL could not move anywhere as soon as there was a drop of snow

In the interest of mass appeal, Audis long since stopped having any 4wd capability in adverse conditions

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

89Golfer

??? whot? Why?  is it all gone new-age/electronic and soft/crap?

85 Nissan Exa, 89 Subaru Leone Gtxi,
85 Honda Civic, 89 Volkswagen Golf (digi)
92 Volkswagen 2NF Polo "Steilheck"

SteveC

could be the narrower tyres of the older car cut down through the snow and grip better

portmanteau

Quote from: 89Golfer on August 13, 2008, 04:33:02 PM
??? whot? Why?  is it all gone new-age/electronic and soft/crap?

yes. EDL = electronic diff locks, and they just can't cope with these conditions .  Lose just one wheel and it's all over

The old 200 of course has manual locks - those were removed in part to make later cars "idiot-proof"

Here's the "before rescue" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfB7gNQIyU

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

veedubman

well that was about as impressive as rocketscotts W8 Snow Launch Video.. L00K no traction loss!!!

:P

slayer00

Lil that thread on es was funny. But the traction on the old quattros was unbelievable

Turbo

hard to say what was going on there as we can't see the other 2 wheels.
if they're not spinning would it be a problem with the diff and if they are a problem with traction?
sometimes in those autos you need to press the brakes a little bit to make the wheels think they have traction.

posted before but snow test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-FLbgL7KKQ

edit:
apparently there's a story on campbell live tonight about a driving school on ice in the south island. testing popular cars. i wonder if they'll have any audis.

2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

89Golfer

Quote from: portmanteau on August 13, 2008, 06:58:22 PM
yes. EDL = electronic diff locks, and they just can't cope with these conditions .  Lose just one wheel and it's all over

The old 200 of course has manual locks - those were removed in part to make later cars "idiot-proof"

I still don't get it.. so as soon as one wheel slips the EDL doesn't work? Isn't that what 4wd is supposed to be for?

with manual locks you mean, mechanical locks (auto locks of some mechanical sort)? or just manual locks as in a lever 4wd selector thing?
85 Nissan Exa, 89 Subaru Leone Gtxi,
85 Honda Civic, 89 Volkswagen Golf (digi)
92 Volkswagen 2NF Polo "Steilheck"

portmanteau

Quote from: 89Golfer on August 15, 2008, 08:23:33 PM
I still don't get it.. so as soon as one wheel slips the EDL doesn't work? Isn't that what 4wd is supposed to be for?

with manual locks you mean, mechanical locks (auto locks of some mechanical sort)? or just manual locks as in a lever 4wd selector thing?

yes, the "EDL" just cannot cope, unless, as has been mentioned, you employ tricks to fool it (and I bet that is not in the owner's handbook!)

older quattros had vacuum-operated manual diff locks, centre and rear, separate, that were engaged at will

at first they were engaged by levers beside the handbrake, then a push/pull  knob on the dash, and then a rotary control with graphic indicators and warning lights. The 200Q in the video would have had the last type.

I think towards the end they used to disengage automatically above a certain speed (memory fuzzy on this), but apparently that was still not "idiot-proof" enough

the problem was that idiots used to leave them on when they should not be on - with dire consequences for safety and mechanical damage - so they deleted them

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_haseltine/quattro/tech/difflocks.html

slayer00

On the later models they had thetorsen center diff so there was no locking and the rear disengaged after 25k

BB

The old system was better for mud plugging but that isnt what they really wanted Audis used for.
I wish i could find some place that i needed to use my diff locks but I haven't ever needed them yet.
Going up a smooth snowy road the modern audis would still be pretty good I think the guy in the modern was using to much boot and i agree about the old tyres sinking through the snow more.

Looking at that stuff makes me want to love my old 200 again but the last time i drove it the brakes went all solid and impossible to push :P Either im out of fluid but then my steering would have gone too so its probibly the booster which is a bit of an unknown to me as i have yet to replace one, it wont be the bomb as that is always duff na dthat only really makes a difference when the engine is off....
ill have a look today at whats up but i tell you the thing goes wrong every time i drive the old bitch :-\
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Pushbutton_auto

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

portmanteau

Quote from: BB on August 16, 2008, 09:30:06 AM

Going up a smooth snowy road the modern audis would still be pretty good I think the guy in the modern was using to much boot and i agree about the old tyres sinking through the snow more.

The occasions when the EDL on the urs6 showed itself as useless was  far from mud-plugging, and just as slight as having dropped a wheel into a snowy verge

BB

Really! that crap eh ??? The time I went around taupo with Rex in his S2 the torsen diff was banging away under the car doing all sorts of crazy stuff.
I like my old lockables they do make for a good snow car. Wish i lived somewhere cold enough to need emm, I want to have a spin up in a field sometime.
Brakes on mine..... Not low fluid so maybe booster behind the master cylynder. We got one at your place Pushbutton?

portmanteau

Quote from: BB on August 16, 2008, 12:30:08 PM

Brakes on mine..... Not low fluid so maybe booster behind the master cylynder. We got one at your place Pushbutton?

let's hope so, cos a rebuild usually runs to about $150 from the guy in hamilton?

BB

Quote from: portmanteau on August 16, 2008, 12:52:19 PM
let's hope so, cos a rebuild usually runs to about $150 from the guy in hamilton?

For the booster part behind the master cylynder? Thats not too bad if so, I've heard that they cost the earth if you can get hold of one.
The bombs are around $300 glenT says he can get em

Pushbutton_auto

Only brake stuff would be on the 100, don't recall recovering any off the wrecked 200s,  :-\

portmanteau

Quote from: BB on August 16, 2008, 06:56:22 PM
For the booster part behind the master cylynder? Thats not too bad if so, I've heard that they cost the earth if you can get hold of one.

Yea. he did a couple for me (urs6), and he also makes a mod to them due to what he believes is a design flaw

I have a leaky core here from a urs6 if that helps.

BB

Pushbutton, they are the same on a 100 as they are on a 200, do we have one? Can you look for me please, pretty please :)
And whats this guy in Hamiltons ph number and business name?

Pushbutton_auto

The 100 is my white one, still complete az.

wanna make a convertible, but it won't stop raining,  :(

but if money is right then it will set the wheels in motion to wreck it.  :'(