$65,000 Mk1 GTI

Started by bigbumper, August 16, 2008, 09:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbumper

Reading Quentin Wilson's column in the July 2008 issue of Thoroughbred & Classic Car:

"The other day a man rang me up wanting a valuation for his 1983 Y-plate Golf GTI Mk1 that had only done 4000 miles.  A peach of a car in Alpine White, it was completely original, had all the books, manuals, tools and spare keys and been in careful long-term storage.  I told him it was worth an easy ?20k.  A week later he rang me back to tell me he sold it for ?25,000."

Now I'm sure all you Mk1 owners will be gleefully rubbing your hands together at this news... but am I the only one who finds the thought of a $65k Mk1 GTI ridiculous?  ???

GTI's

Yehaa!  I must mint my GTI out soon.

robh

Coming from the UK, you can't always apply the exchange rate against stuff, it's all relative.

If you earn 50k sterling and buy a mark 1 GTI for 25k sterling it's 50% of your yearly income.

If you come to NZ you won't earn 2.65 times your salary from the UK, so if you earn 50k NZD there is no way on earth anyone here would pay 65k NZD it would be more than 100% of your yearly income wouldn't it?

My mates come over and say wow look at that mansion it's only xxx in pounds, but that only works if you have pounds to start with, if your here earning NZD that's what you have to spend aye?
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

Angle

4000 miles and un-blemished. One of a kind I would say.

BB

Not ridiculous at all.
As well as what Robh is saying its a 4000km original! No matter how tidy brendo makes his one it can never be what that car is, unless you find a mk1 with less miles and immaculate and with all the paper work etc that car is the best mk1 you could possibly find so its worth that and in fact if a multi millionaire buyer was bidding in an auction for it and really really wanted it and was bidding against another multi millionaire the price could be in the millions, everything is worth what somebody will pay for it.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

bigbumper

Quote from: robh on August 17, 2008, 08:15:20 AM
Coming from the UK, you can't always apply the exchange rate against stuff, it's all relative.

If you earn 50k sterling and buy a mark 1 GTI for 25k sterling it's 50% of your yearly income.

If you come to NZ you won't earn 2.65 times your salary from the UK, so if you earn 50k NZD there is no way on earth anyone here would pay 65k NZD it would be more than 100% of your yearly income wouldn't it?

My mates come over and say wow look at that mansion it's only xxx in pounds, but that only works if you have pounds to start with, if your here earning NZD that's what you have to spend aye?

I agree with what you're saying, to a point.  A couple of things though: if you're on ?50k and you come to NZ, you should be on a hell of a lot more than NZ$50k (NZ$100k at least I would say).  And as Anglebox says, that Golf is one of a kind - so if you want it you're competing with buyers from all over, who are earning pounds, euros, US$, whatever.  You couldn't say "oh but thats more than a years salary for me", the owner will just sell it to the highest bidder... and you miss out.

bigbumper

Quote from: BB on August 17, 2008, 12:21:34 PM
Not ridiculous at all.
As well as what Robh is saying its a 4000km original! No matter how tidy brendo makes his one it can never be what that car is, unless you find a mk1 with less miles and immaculate and with all the paper work etc that car is the best mk1 you could possibly find so its worth that and in fact if a multi millionaire buyer was bidding in an auction for it and really really wanted it and was bidding against another multi millionaire the price could be in the millions, everything is worth what somebody will pay for it.

Worth and value are two subtlely different things.

So you buy this mint Golf with f-all mileage on it... then what?  You park it up and never drive it (to preserve its value), or you drive it and enjoy it and it becomes another $5k car?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: bigbumper on August 17, 2008, 12:40:54 PM

So you buy this mint Golf with f-all mileage on it... then what?  You park it up and never drive it (to preserve its value), or you drive it and enjoy it and it becomes another $5k car?

Yes, but lots of people do that sadly. It ends up being art than a car.
I couldnt do it, Id want to get out there and enjoy them.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

robh

Quote from: bigbumper on August 17, 2008, 12:34:19 PM
I agree with what you're saying, to a point.  A couple of things though: if you're on ?50k and you come to NZ, you should be on a hell of a lot more than NZ$50k (NZ$100k at least I would say).  And as Anglebox says, that Golf is one of a kind - so if you want it you're competing with buyers from all over, who are earning pounds, euros, US$, whatever.  You couldn't say "oh but thats more than a years salary for me", the owner will just sell it to the highest bidder... and you miss out.

I work in IT and 50k in UK does not translate to 100k here, it's much closer than that.  Maybe other industrys have a bigger gap?

Also the years salary thing was just to give an example of % of income rather than exchange rate.

robh

Quote from: bigbumper on August 17, 2008, 12:40:54 PM

You are spot on here :)

I can't stand the idea of something stunning that you could never drive  :)

GTI's

So in reality if i put another KR motor in my NZ new MK1 GTI it will be worth less than it would be with 1600 k jet and fd 5 spd box?
I know what i'd buy.

BB

Quote from: GTI's on August 17, 2008, 04:09:30 PM
So in reality if i put another KR motor in my NZ new MK1 GTI it will be worth less than it would be with 1600 k jet and fd 5 spd box?
I know what i'd buy.

That car is a totally different thing. if you did your one up as an origional to exact original specs it might be worth more than if you do a do up with a 16v motor, but it would make bugger all difference really.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

ritmo

At the end of the day it is just a golf, so 25k pounds is indeed crazy. It is not like it is/was an exclusive car with some sort of pedigree.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: GTI's on August 17, 2008, 04:09:30 PM
I know what i'd buy.

Original cars are normally worth more than modified ones.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

RS ZWEI

Quote from: 130tc on August 17, 2008, 04:48:34 PM
At the end of the day it is just a golf, so 25k pounds is indeed crazy. It is not like it is/was an exclusive car with some sort of pedigree.

Haha, whatever Terry, it didnt start a revolution or anything did it?
But its not like we are talking a rusty 80's hatch with leaf springs and a 1960's engine :P ;)
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

ritmo

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on August 17, 2008, 04:51:19 PM
Haha, whatever Terry, it didnt start a revolution or anything did it?
But its not like we are talking a rusty 80's hatch with leaf springs and a 1960's engine :P ;)

haha we are talking about a rusty 70s hatch with single overhead cam ;)
.....if someone paid that sort of money for a fiat strada they would also need their head read. I think the revolution had already started mate, they just built on it.

Leaf springs and 1960's engine will still kill a golf mk1 ;D If you want to talk about engines, lets talk about single overhead cam and crossflow, whoops what is crossflow? we could talk about torque...oh what is that?
Oh yes that 60's engine is possibly the greatest engine in rally history :o

robh

Quote from: 130tc on August 17, 2008, 05:56:48 PM
Oh yes that 60's engine is possibly the greatest engine in rally history :o

5 cylinder audi turbo did you say ?

ritmo

Quote from: robh on August 17, 2008, 06:48:47 PM

you may want to do some research :police:

bigbumper

Quote from: robh on August 17, 2008, 06:48:47 PM

Wanna count championship wins?
Fiat twin cam = 10x constructors wins, 6x drivers wins
Audi 5cyl = 2x constructors wins, 2x drivers wins

Or individual world rally event wins?
Fiat (and Lancia using the Fiat twin cam engine) = 78
Audi = 24

Getting back on topic, any historical significance as "the original hot hatch" (such a cliche ::)) is offset by the fact that they made hundreds of thousands(?) of them.

What would a similar condition E30 M3 be valued at?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: bigbumper on August 17, 2008, 09:03:31 PM

What would a similar condition E30 M3 be valued at?

I heard 65,000 pounds for a one owner 2.3 done about 20,000kms.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S