ABS light popping on - problem?

Started by Blake, December 27, 2004, 01:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Hi guys, merry christmas and all that! Glad we have a nice day in Auckland here, so will try and make this short and sweet.

Every now and then when I either go round a corner on a gradient or if the road is worn in certain areas and I am breaking at the same time - not heavily mind you - the breaks will make a sound much like when the ABS comes on and then the ABS light comes on and stays on for the rest of the journey. Some times when driving it will come on without the sound or breaking happening. Any ideas?

Plus my handbreak light is coming on at the moment and staying on - but only does this every now and then. I topped up the fluid under the bonnet however it hasn't solved the problem completely.

Any words of wisdom?

Cheers - gym time!

RS ZWEI

The ABS light coming on is something VR6s are very well known for doing. Mostly its just a crapped out wheel sensor, but your best to get someone to look at it with the proper VAG computer software.
Oh and if it is a wheel/ABS sensor, get a new one out from either the UK or Europe, way, way cheaper.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Blake

Mmm I will be looking to get the car in to have a proper service. Then go from there. Don't want problems to compound.

Still not sure why on uneven surfaces etc the car is making a strange noise down near the peddals then hand brake light coming on. German cars huh!

orggti

have you checkedf to make sure no wires that go to pads or wheel sensors are loose and rubbing?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: orggti on December 29, 2004, 08:19:17 AM
have you checkedf to make sure no wires that go to pads or wheel sensors are loose and rubbing?

There is a different light on the dash if the pads are getting low.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Blake

haven't done anything like that - but suspect when I put my wheels on we might find something

old4130

Hi,

I have something similar on my MK3.

Every so often when I start it, it does the checks, & the lights go out & then handbrake & ABS light come on & stay on, with the handbrake released.

So I restart & all is fine. Happens about once every couple of weeks.
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

swayv6

I had similar intermittent problem.
But when I checked the brake fluid level and I noticed my cap was a little loose.
Tightened it down, and problem went!!
There are sensor wires at the cap - so maybe they talk to the ABS?
Not sure if this is related - but it did the trick.