'78 Mk1 Wheel Bearing

Started by Audi Life, September 12, 2008, 01:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audi Life

My Mk1 failed a WOF because of a rough rear left wheel bearing. Where could I get one of these?
Oh and perished wiper blades. Repco for those?

Cheers

qta4

Wheel bearing really easy,same as Mk1Mk2Mk3,try platinum
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

80 Vert

You local bearing supplier will have them too, such as precision bearings etc or even Brake & Trans mission
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Audi Life

rambo_005

Supercheap have cool Bosch wiper replacements, they are Aero wiper style - wipe sooo much better than normal ones.

Audi Life

Quote from: rambo_005 on September 12, 2008, 07:02:56 PM
Supercheap have cool Bosch wiper replacements, they are Aero wiper style - wipe sooo much better than normal ones.
Oh rats, I already got some. Just got some from Repco and the bearings from BNT.

rambo_005

Quote from: Audio on September 12, 2008, 07:04:35 PM
Oh rats, I already got some. Just got some from Repco and the bearings from BNT.

Ah well... theres always next time - at least you can get a WOF now ;D

Audi Life

Yeah but I didn't get it done in time to get the WOF aswell, so I'm just gonna have to be sneaky when I drive over the bridge tonight ;)

BB

Mk1 rear bearings fail far to often. And they also seize up and spin in the hub making any new bearing flop around so make sure you look out for this..... just threw some drums away so i knew people would be needing them the next day but hopefully you dont. I still have some spares. Discs easy to get the drums not so easy.
Put a glove on and put the wheel grease on your hand and wipe the bearing back and forth on your hand to force the grease into the bearing properly. make sure you have the iside packed with enough grease but not so much that it will come through onto the shoes.
Dont fill the cap with greae but do put some silicon on it or at least some grease around it to seal it properly i have seen many rear bearings rust out from water leaking in.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Audi Life

Yeah I've done it, all packed with grease nicely.
Cheers

VeeDub

You love packing it don't ya luke.

Audi Life

Quote from: VeeDub on September 18, 2008, 05:58:32 PM
You love packing it don't ya luke.
Oh I didn't realise we had a funny guy on VASK, keep up the good work ;)