Oil In coolant!

Started by rambo_005, December 27, 2004, 10:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo_005

Found my Mum's 91 Passat GT to be running a bit funny yesterday, checked the water level to find a vomit like mmixture in the reservoir  :-\ The oil had been replaced about 3 weeks ago and is now on the minimum level.

It is the 9A 2L 16V engine, of which I have a spare she may need.

Headgasket? Head? Block?

What kind of exciting bits do we have to deal with?

RS ZWEI

Something like that should just be the Headgasket but it depends on how hot shes let it get etc?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

orggti

If the coolant was very dirty and rusty before, meaning that the head gasket could be rotted out, OR its got a coolant leak and was then overheated and warped the head letting the oil and water mix then its probibly just the water/oil heat exchangers got a hole in it mixing the two. Mat who used to own nastnas jetta fixed his head gasket twice when it was the heat exchanger. It way be the head gasket for sure but get the exchanger pressure tested if you car has one.

rambo_005

I am hoping just for the headgasket, but the heat exchanger is a good point Jem, I will have to put that into consideration also.

Cheers for the help. :)

orggti

Unless the car was overheated or had very dirty rusty water id go the heatexchanger pressure test first as its the easyest and you will be pissed if you change the head gasket and it wasnt that.

rambo_005

I am unsure if the car has overheated or not, if it has then no one noticed!

Is there any simple way of describing overheating to a blonde woman?

likegolf88

Quote from: rambo_005 on December 30, 2004, 12:16:05 AM
I am unsure if the car has overheated or not, if it has then no one noticed!

Is there any simple way of describing overheating to a blonde woman?
lol  ;)

orggti

if its low in water its a good indication.

rambo_005

The water appears to be at its normal level (altho it does have oil in it)  ???

orggti

i recon its the exchanger.

rambo_005

Wheres the exchanger likely to be Jem?

rambo_005

The car is a a mechanic in town, he reckons its gona cost heaps to fix  ::) He reckons its the head (cracked), I havnt had a chance to ask him about the exchanger.

What symptons does a cracked head give?

We have oil in the coolant but no water in the oil  ???

What do you think Jem?
Where is that heat exchanger also?

orggti

the exchanger is where the oil filter goes on. I would be very surprised if its a cracked head as it takes a hell of a overheating to do anything to a vag motor as they are big lumps of alloy, tho im not so sure about the 16v but generally a golf head weighs twice as much as a japper. ive got a 1.5 carb gls here that has had water loss issues with leaky frost plugs, old bursting hoses and leaking steel hoses for the last 5 years ive known it ive chased leak after leak but its still perfectly good with a good head gasket even tho its been overheated 100s of times. they are v strong like that.
GET THE EXCHANGER TESTED did i say it loud enough?

rambo_005

Its not the exchanger, been tested and that is ok.

orggti

well then it probly is the head gasket or a crack but at least you know now. its a pain to do the other things to find it was the exchanger. Mat did his head gasket twice then found out it was the exchanger as i said. ;D

rambo_005

This car goes on the weekend (still broken), traded it on a 97 Audi A4 1.8 SE. That's Mum sorted for a while (hopefully this has no trouble!).

Thanks for the help everyone :)