Looking at buying 100 or A4

Started by Kiwi6539, September 19, 2008, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi6539

Any advise on what to look out for when buying a 100 with high kms.

What are the common things that go wrong with them?

Has anyone done a manual conversion to one?

Any Advise welcome

Pushbutton_auto

Ok, Auto to manual is possible but really not practical.

100 signs to look out for,

Auto trans f out all time, leaving you with a BEAUTIFUL car, that sits in the drive.

power steering pump and sometimes the rack leak, again fixable but pain in butt, esp the rack.

weird wiring affects windows, speedo, trip meter, lights, indicators ..... . .... ...

But other than that, they are a GREAT CRUISING car, luxury ($ 90-125,000 new) still, and holds road like its bolted on, awesome brakes, great gas mileage (unless u open up a turbo) and a safety feeling like NO other car.  :)

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

vag_nutter

THB It wouldnt be worth trying to convert to manual, main thing to look out for is the trans.

What model 100 is it?

5-pot

I think his reference to an A4 means he'd be looking at the C4 chassis 100.  A.K.A. body shape of the urS4, urS6, urA6.
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

vag_nutter

My brother has one, 2.3 5cyl, auto, really nice cruiser

BB

100s are too old too run now unless you manage to pick up a real good one real cheap. if it goes and its legal that about as good as it gets.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

typ53

Unless of course it's a C4 100/A6.  I bought my one as a cheap but comfortable work hack but it's become like a favourite old pair of shoes.  Somehow I've ended up with two of them, both very comfortable cruisers with lots of extras for the money.  As Pushbutton says, very nice cruiser.

The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....