034 Motorsport Strut Mounts. Anyone used them?

Started by RS ZWEI, September 23, 2008, 07:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

5-pot

Rex has a set in his car and I've got some sitting on my desk at home  :D along with some solid subframe bushings.  They're a fair bit stiffer than the factory ones and look a bit beefier but I haven't installed them so, I'm not much use to you :P
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

wilco

I've just put a pair in the front of the quattro so design comparable to the RS2 front end.  To be honest I have never seen a type 89 strut mount "fail" like they tout. So as a back to back comparison it is difficult to feel any improvement.  I replaced the inserts at the same time so any change was overridden by having a semblence of handling back.
The bearing within the mount to be blunt is crap. It is a cheap ball bearing, not sealed, was dry when they arrived, had to fill with grease to give it some smoothness, and mounted on the strut it still had lots of movement.  It was actually no better than the stock ones I'd just taken off.  The rubber mounts had worn so it was still worth changing but I have no extra confidence in the bearing itself.
In saying that I have 4 others to use on a selection of other cars as necessary so will definitely use them, but may look at a better bearing setup.

The guts of it is, with everything botled up tight I still get a bit of a shimmy and rattle rolling down my gravel driveway.

BB

the rubber mounts dont so much fail as start to turn inside out which mucks up the careful distance between the shock and lower ball joint with wheels off the ground, with car jacked up you can lift the wheel and shock up and down, put new ones in and you cant even tho it is still all just hanging their untill the top big washer thing let it drop through the hole.
  They are all a bit different on the VW audi range and all of them are crap and need replacing far to often.
The bearing surprisingly as they are fairly small I have never seen fail and this isn't the problem with them.
its as i say the rubber turning inside out and or on some of them tearing away from the metal as on the mk1 and 2 golfs, they then ditched the metal and just used rubber that fits into a dome on the body which is cheaper to replace.
they are a high wear item and you just need to replace them when they wear its fairly easy.
I have heard of them wearing out in as little as 6 months tho :P  We have a VR6 in at work thats had them done twice in 2 years for wofs.

golfboy do fit the motorsport034 ones, they are better.
comfort wise they should be fine , VW would say their ones are soft for comfort, and i guess they would be right.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

wilco

Roger all that BB, thats where the extra meat in the 034 mounts does its thing.  I've never seen a bearing fail either and as it was the same, or at least no better than the stock one, it must be enough to work OK.