"Flick" style keyfob in a MK3

Started by Aidan, September 23, 2008, 07:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aidan

Can it be done?

I have access to all the parts from a MK4 Bora, including the Fob, Barrel (if necessary) and providing it can be found, the remote receiver (I have an aftermarket jobby in mine)
Das Auto(s): 2007 MKV GTI Manual and a random Beemer

HaNs

I know the fob can be done.

Bit of chopping to the old key and drill a hole a put in in place.

Not sure how the immob chips would work(if they are in the way?), thats if your car has one.

Aidan

Quote from: HaNs on September 23, 2008, 07:42:02 PM
I know the fob can be done.

Bit of chopping to the old key and drill a hole a put in in place.

Not sure how the immob chips would work(if they are in the way?), thats if your car has one.

Yeah, that was what I was wondering, I believe it has a chip necessary to the running of the car as I was given the price for re coding when I went to cut one.

Aidan

My method was going to be; cut a new copy of my key, cut off the key on the current fob, and weld the key for my car on. I know keys can be re-coded through VAG-COM, but would the signal go through the weld. Or am I getting this all screwed up.

HaNs

I thought that the chip just needs to be near the ignition.

MK3 and MK4's use different immob chips?

Best bet it to retro fit in the mk3 key, ie dont weld.

But i would hate to carry around a fob if i didnt have the usage of the remote locking  >:(

Aidan

Quote from: HaNs on September 23, 2008, 07:57:36 PM
I thought that the chip just needs to be near the ignition.

MK3 and MK4's use different immob chips?

Best bet it to retro fit in the mk3 key, ie dont weld.

But i would hate to carry around a fob if i didnt have the usage of the remote locking  >:(

Thats why I would like to know where the receiver is in the Bora's, does anyone know? Otherwise I will just break down my current remote and put it all into the fob. With the retro fit, how would it go in? Obviously I would only have a straight key, where there is that piece of rounded metal at the top where it pivots.

HaNs

http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=380

I cant find the site with the retro fitting pics  :(. But yeh straight key, with a hole drilled in the top. Make sure the hole is straight or your key will be on the piss

Aidan

Quote from: HaNs on September 23, 2008, 08:04:02 PM
http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=380

I cant find the site with the retro fitting pics  :(. But yeh straight key, with a hole drilled in the top. Make sure the hole is straight or your key will be on the piss

So would it mean the key would be lying on its side instead of flat like they are on the newer cars? Does the flick still work?

Aidan

Despite already having the necessary parts, this link: http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=380 looks like a good idea, I wonder if that would work.

HaNs

Quote from: Aidan on September 23, 2008, 08:12:12 PM
So would it mean the key would be lying on its side instead of flat like they are on the newer cars? Does the flick still work?

Na, it sits like OEM. Flat like factory.

Quote from: Aidan on September 23, 2008, 08:15:58 PM
Despite already having the necessary parts, this link: http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=380 looks like a good idea, I wonder if that would work.

They are not quite the same a OEM and have 2 external screws. But it has more features out of the box.

Aidan

Quote from: HaNs on September 23, 2008, 08:22:25 PM
Na, it sits like OEM. Flat like factory.

They are not quite the same a OEM and have 2 external screws. But it has more features out of the box.

I'm thinking I'm going to go for the right click one, just means a bit of installation fun, hard to do?

HaNs

Quote from: Aidan on September 23, 2008, 08:25:48 PM
I'm thinking I'm going to go for the right click one, just means a bit of installation fun, hard to do?

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,11571.msg148270.html#msg148270

Well we would do a bulk buy from TM.

mmmm i didnt look that closely at the wiring of the TM ones, how hard can it be?

HaNs

Aidan

I have no ides where that wiring is, but I'm sure it can be found...

SOFTLAD

That's the wrong system I think. as it includes all the after market central locking motors you need to click on the next picture to the left on the TM website.
Most mk3 have central locking to begin with but not remote central locking the TM system I mention above piggy-backs on the existing mk3 central locking pump at the back of the car infront of the drivers side rear light. It's like a multi plug the remote control system plugs into the pump and then the original wiring plug plugs into the back of the remote plug, there are then additional wires that are connected up to your hazard flashers to indicate when operating and for your alarm system activation.
You will not need to remove door panels, I then tucked the remote box which has a little wire atena up under the parcel shelf supports. ;D

HandsomeDan

John - Vert1 has recently transplanted a whole lot of Mk4 electrics etc into a Mk3 wagon - he might know how to locate the ignition bits that are directly affected by the immobiliser...
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

Aidan

Quote from: SOFTLAD on September 23, 2008, 10:41:01 PM
That's the wrong system I think. as it includes all the after market central locking motors you need to click on the next picture to the left on the TM website.
Most mk3 have central locking to begin with but not remote central locking the TM system I mention above piggy-backs on the existing mk3 central locking pump at the back of the car infront of the drivers side rear light. It's like a multi plug the remote control system plugs into the pump and then the original wiring plug plugs into the back of the remote plug, there are then additional wires that are connected up to your hazard flashers to indicate when operating and for your alarm system activation.
You will not need to remove door panels, I then tucked the remote box which has a little wire atena up under the parcel shelf supports. ;D

Are you talking about the black polystyrene box right behind the tail lights? I have an aftermarket system in mine currently, but I was told it is behind the steering wheel, hence the plastic surround behind the steering wheel is broken. I'm thinking, instead of retrofitting a MK4 system, I'm just going to buy the rightclick setup, that way I can add boot release and window wind up to the same basket.