Head gasket replacement.

Started by cml52, June 29, 2005, 10:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cml52

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of overhaul the head unit such as head gasket replacement, etc to my cheap but fun toy. however, due to my limited knowledge, can't really figure it all out myself, so it would be great if someone out there willing to share their experiences. below are some non-experience questions.
is it necessary to take the engine out to replace the intake gasket? do i need to drain all the coolant and engine oil out? any comment will be appreciated.

thx

[attachment deleted by admin]

orggti

why do you wanna change the head gasket? changing a head gasket is not a head overhaul. Whats wrong with it?

cml52

I need to replace it because air leak causes a warm start problem. the engine only crank and hard to start when the engine is warm also the engine isn't smooth at operating temperature.
i hope my guess is corrent.. ::)

John Stone

Quote from: chch90Q on July 08, 2005, 05:03:49 PM
I need to replace it because air leak causes a warm start problem. the engine only crank and hard to start when the engine is warm also the engine isn't smooth at operating temperature.

Do a compression test first and do it with all the plugs out.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

orggti

Quote from: chch90Q on July 08, 2005, 05:03:49 PM
Oh Dear :P
Um if its got a air leak fix the air leak.
Am i guessing english is a second language and you are young and dont know crap about cars? :)
Audis often have air leaks that make them run rough, it will be either a ripped inlet boot from the fuel delivery unit to the inlet manifold. Remove it and check. Or whilst its running get a 400mm lenght of hose and put one end to your ear and then other end around all the inlet parts and also most importantly where the injectors go into the head. You will hear any leaks. to fix these stop the car and seal the backs of the injectors with red silicon, dont bother getting new O-rings and seats just yet and they are offten dissapointing when you do and you still need to silicon them up. Ok that all i can be bothered typing now. good luck dont pull the head off.

cml52

yes, english is not my first language.
well, you can say i'm young but depends on how you define it.
and yes, i don't quite understand what is the problem with my car. i just want it to start consistently when the engine is warm. i just feel sad when i turn the key and it doesn't start as the way i wanted.
oh well, lots of people do stupid things when they were young(such as spending $Xk just to polish a FXGT? ;D), i guess i'm becoming one of these people ;)
thx for your comments and let see if i can fix it.

orggti