For the type44/type89 audi gurus...

Started by 5-pot, October 09, 2008, 04:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5-pot

hi guys,

Any idea if, after having the timing pins transferred, the KV flywheel will work on a KG engine? 

I'm trying to put the KG into a 90q and I want to use the same flywheel with an uprated clutch and the 90q gearbox. 

Also, does anyone have a tool to lock the crank so I can undo the flywheel/driveplate bolts?  I think there's a tool that bolts through one of the bellhousing holes and jams the ring gear in place so the bolts can be undone...

Gonna try and get KV out this weekend (along with gearbox... at long last)
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

wilco

Yep, but I thought the timing pins are actually in the same place on the flywheel. ?? When I used a type 44 flywheel (skimmed thinner a bit) on the V6, they were the same.  So I'd assume.
However, if they arent but you change them so they are, then no reason to suspect not. Just check though that the crank bolt holes are correct, not to call you a goof, but easy to get wrong when comparing eh?

Yes I have a tool to lock the crank too, shoulda told me yesterday.  I'll get it in the post tomorrow.  Its a vdub flywheel tool trimmed down to fit in the starter hole properly (for an auto driveplate).  Works outside too of course.

S.

5-pot

Oh ok.  I thought they might be seeing as they're very similar engines but I wasn't sure.  Will find out when I pull the KV this weekend (hopefully).  Wanna try and avoid the front brake rotor scenario :P  I hope the flywheels are the same thickness too?  Since I want to use the same clutch on the gearbox...  Maybe...  Mmmm fun...

Thanks heaps Wilco!  Now to go turn the car around so I can actually access the engine...
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

I got a crank locking tool too if you want 5-pot.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?