VR6...... A Lemon or not?

Started by whittles jet, October 17, 2008, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittles jet

Hi,

I just bought a 97 VR6 auto at Turners for $2200 + costs, only 94kms, overall a pretty tidy example except left doors have been run up a wall or pole or someones lada, so need panel work...... Airbag light is on :-\, (fingers crossed it just needs a reset) and the engine runs like a sack of s&*t and blows black smoke, :'( smells like its running really rich,  hoping its just in need of a tune up, new leads and plugs etc........
I have It booked into Miles Continental in CHCH on monday so fingers crossed it comes back with a small invoice attached.....
Will keep ya posted!
If not f*&k it I will sell the parts to you guys! LOL ;D

I bought it as an impulse buy really, always wanted one but never had the cash, now I have been for a drive in it I was really impressed in the difference from my sad ole Primera (while it was running like s&*t), I'm getting rid of the Jap and never looking back!

Any ways just thought I intro myself as you may be hearing more from me in the future!
:)

whittles jet

RS ZWEI

Welcome to the fourm.

If your airbag ECU is toast I have one that I can sell you.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

BB

I don't think VR6s and continental garages and small invoices fit in the same sentence do they?
But no matter what you seem to have got a good buy as that is cheap for a vr6.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

shay

Quote from: BB on October 17, 2008, 07:08:22 PM
I don't think VR6s and continental garages and small invoices fit in the same sentence do they?
But no matter what you seem to have got a good buy as that is cheap for a vr6.

You nailed that in one.

The only thing small about the invoices are the physical size of the paper.

SteveC

BB, I'm not convinced that cheap purchase necessarily equates to cheap ownership!

whittles jet

Haha, yeah true guys, the cost of the service/inspection might be a bit exorbitant.
Its just that I don't know of any other options about getting this airbag sorted with confidence.
Anyways I have a money tree out the back, so might just have to harvest those $50s early, before they ripen to $100s.
Bugga...... Hate doin that :'(

whittles jet

BB

its a low km one and it will need a few things they always do, but im sure they will get it running ok and if it needs a air bag ecu Nic has one and it could be just the ring corroding.

gti vr6

Quote from: whittles jet on October 18, 2008, 05:08:52 PM
Haha, yeah true guys, the cost of the service/inspection might be a bit exorbitant.
Its just that I don't know of any other options about getting this airbag sorted with confidence.
Anyways I have a money tree out the back, so might just have to harvest those $50s early, before they ripen to $100s.

whittles jet

Really  :-X
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

whittles jet

Quote from: BB on October 18, 2008, 06:26:04 PM
its a low km one and it will need a few things they always do, but im sure they will get it running ok and if it needs a air bag ecu Nic has one and it could be just the ring corroding.

What do you mean by the ring corroding?  ???

veedubman

Quote from: whittles jet on October 18, 2008, 05:08:52 PM

whittles jet

Why not go to platinum vw & Audi on felton Mathew Ave..

they dont charge the earth?

BB

wilco

..and might even look at your airbag light problem.  :-* :-*

HandsomeDan

There's nothing funny about a corroding ring...too many curries usually causes that.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

veedubman

Quote from: jasoncordelle on October 20, 2008, 11:27:58 AM
There's nothing funny about a corroding ring...too many curries usually causes that.

oh wtf lol

whittles jet

I didn't know there was a problem with my ring ..........  :laugh:

Hey thanks Ante , but I am in Christchurch, couldn't find any other genuine service agents down here

whittles jet

Hi all,

Any one who is interested (or not) I got my VR6 back from Continental Cars last week, the Airbag was reset and the light went out!  ;D
They serviced it and did some diagnostics on the engine/electrics. It appears it was having some trouble with the throttle system, The ECU lost all its default settings somehow, they thought it might have been a weak battery interfering with the system? Other than that they removed the throttle body and cleaned it as apparently it was filthy, very strange I thought, but it is running a lot better now. 
The Battery appears to be holding its charge now, It had just been siting around unused for a while.
I am happy that it came back in pretty good order with very little wrong, a good value car on the road.
Although last night it started to miss and choke a bit under acceleration, also idling is rough at times.
So I'm doing the plugs and leads soon to see if that helps.

If not maybe need some ideas from any one out there who has had this rough running problem before.............?

If the leads and plugs don't fix the problem i'm thinking along the lines of faulty sensors ie: Air flow meter, stepper motor etc maybe even ignition coil? although I would have thought the diagnostics test might have picked this up, any ideas please  ???

Cheers whittles jet

BB

Dirty throttle bodies are common as the blowby from the engine gets plumbed back through there.
Yes do the plugs and leads, they can be a bitch look up other posts regarding the special tool ::) etc
Yes you got a good deal there.