Missing check engine light?

Started by A_Man_Eating_Duck, November 01, 2008, 02:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Man_Eating_Duck

I had a solenoid go in my trans so it was in limp mode, but i had no indication of the fault from the cluster. When i ran VAG-Com on the car to find out what was going on, it also reported an error code with the engine (Idle Adaptation At Limit). So there were 2 fault codes and the cluster appeared normal.

I took the cluster out this morning to see if maybe a bulb had gone, when i looked on the back, the only bulbs i could replace were the indicator, high beam and back light bulbs. I had a quick look through my Bentley manual and the picture of the back of the cluster didn't match up to mine. I also put the cluster in the sun so i could see the symbols underneath the dials, but i couldn't even find the symbol.

Any ideas?

it's a 1997 golf Mk3 VR6, 01M auto trans, Jap import.

VR6

Trans faults do not show in the instrument cluster. Nor engine ones for that matter. There is no check lights until the mk4 models. What trans fault codes came up? If the fault open or short to solenoid 6 came up it is more likely to be the internal wiring loom to the solenoids. There are 7 solenoids. 5 are high resistance but 2 are low resistance. which means thay draw a bit of current. This is the most likely cause of the wiring loom failure

80 Vert

Have had a few with open or short to solenoid, which turned out to be the auto ECU. This is just as common as the loom failure.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

A_Man_Eating_Duck

ahh ok, thanks guys.

I thought i was loosing it for a second :)

The Trans is already been fixed under warranty, one of the solenoids was faulty (i think solenoid 3). the trans guy said it was the first time he has seen a solenoid fail so quickly in a 01m (only been in there for 1.6 years).

Another quick question, for the people with 01m transmissions, are the gear changes with this box through the 1 - 2 usually quite heavy? this being my first auto (and last :)) i really have nothing to compare it to.