Rust repairs

Started by td19, December 29, 2004, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

td19

The door support pillars on both sides in my Coupe Quattro need some fairly major rust removal work...particularly the drivers side where there is bad corrosion under the windscreen as well.  Can someone recommend a reliable place in Auckland where I can get this work done?

bsting

Porana panels in Glenfield - very good at color matching too.

orggti

sounds like pretty bad rust. make sure you cant pick up a better car for the cost of extencive weld repairs as when a car has "the rust" its a bad thing and you will pay dearly to get a good job done if you need pillars and windscreens and stuff done with proper nice finish paint job. And unless they are really good and rust proof the whole car you will chase rust forever.A rusted car is a rusted car forever unless its really fixed well. there are good ones out there for great prices when you compare it to a weld up and paint. Always figure in that if you buy a second car you will have loads of good 2nd hand parts which you do need if you own one of these cars now days.   

Mike

I agree with jem.

These cars don't normally rust if looked after, but one with badly repared accident damage, or one that has always lived outside will be showing rust by now. Blocked sunroof drains cuause rust similar to what you describe, and this can prove terminal. They do get a bit of rust at the base of the A pillar but if caught early is an easy repair.

Get one with a good body and the rest is plain sailing. Mechanical issues are a lot easier to resolve than rust.

td19

This was an ex-UK car that I have owned since end-1995.  Since I have owned it it has always been garaged.  I don't know if the windscreen has ever been replaced but suspect that water may have gone in under the seals.  The rest of the car is almost totally rust-free which makes this corrosion particularly frustrating.  It actually became apparent at the door mounts (hinges) and also through water in the driver's glove box ....anyway, will possibly try to find another or a good URQ.