passat syncro? 4x4?

Started by likegolf88, December 30, 2004, 03:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

likegolf88

Is there such a thing as a 4x4 passat? i was just curious  ;D

dubstar

There was also a limited run of syncro passats in the early 90's. (haven't seen one in nz though)
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

bsting

Never seen early 90s passat syncro here - have seen a couple of 2.9 vr6 wagons tho. Red vr6 badge front & rear.

RS ZWEI

My mates W8 Passat is a syncro.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

dimistyle

Yes there are Passat Syncro's, all are probably Jap imports and are yes 4WD.? Most of the import though are V6 2.8 4Motion.

The Syncro was re badged in 1998 as 4Motion

quote from Web
Volkswagen used the term syncro for all its four-wheel drive models, in those days with a lower case 's'. This tradition continued until 1998, when a new name, '4motion', came into being. There was no fixed drive ratio between front and rear axles as with the Quattro system. While driving in normal conditions there is a 50/50 power distribution between the front and rear of the car. When slippage occurs the transmission decides which wheel(s) get the most power. The system in the Passat used a viscous and an Electronic Locking Differential(EDL) that was tied into the Teves 3-chanel Anti-lock braking system to detect wheel spin. The torque split, under normal conditions was 90% front and 10% rear. When the front wheels began to slip, the viscous differential would begin to distribute as much as 90% of the power to the rear wheels. This system only split the torque front to back and not side to side as in the Audi-built Torsen system found in the current Passat V6 4motion.[/i]

http://web.telia.com/~u42109931/index.htm

Hope this helps, If you are after a Passat 4Motion Wagon, they seem to be rear as at the moment, the dealers are finding then hard to find in Japan/Singapore. I work mate bought the last one from Global Presige Cars on Beach Rd Parnell, and the dealer has offered to buy it back from him, go figure. ???

robh

Quote from: BSTING on December 30, 2004, 10:32:51 AM
Never seen early 90s passat syncro here - have seen a couple of 2.9 vr6 wagons tho. Red vr6 badge front & rear.

pretty sure all vr6 passat's are 2.8, to my knowledge the only 2.9 vr6's were euro spec Corrado (LHD and RHD, but not US market they got 2.8) and Golf III Syncro (LHD only)
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

robh

Quote from: dimistyle on December 30, 2004, 04:13:21 PM
Yes there are Passat Syncro's, all are probably Jap imports and are yes 4WD.? Most of the import though are V6 2.8 4Motion.

quote from Web
Volkswagen used the term syncro for all its four-wheel drive models, in those days with a lower case 's'. This tradition continued until 1998, when a new name, '4motion', came into being. There was no fixed drive ratio between front and rear axles as with the Quattro system. While driving in normal conditions there is a 50/50 power distribution between the front and rear of the car. When slippage occurs the transmission decides which wheel(s) get the most power. The system in the Passat used a viscous and an Electronic Locking Differential(EDL) that was tied into the Teves 3-chanel Anti-lock braking system to detect wheel spin. The torque split, under normal conditions was 90% front and 10% rear. When the front wheels began to slip, the viscous differential would begin to distribute as much as 90% of the power to the rear wheels. This system only split the torque front to back and not side to side as in the Audi-built Torsen system found in the current Passat V6 4motion.[/i]

Hope this helps, If you are after a Passat 4Motion Wagon, they seem to be rear as at the moment, the dealers are finding then hard to find in Japan/Singapore. I work mate bought the last one from Global Presige Cars on Beach Rd Parnell, and the dealer has offered to buy it back from him, go figure. ???

that quote from the web is slightly misleading "Syncro" to "4Motion" wasn't a simple rename, it was a completely different physically setup.  Also doesn't a post 98 passat share it's platform with Audi's A4 or was it the A6, can't remember?  in which wouldn't it actually be a quattro underneath not a haldex setup????
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

dubstar

Quote from: robh on January 01, 2005, 09:58:15 PM
Quote from: dimistyle on December 30, 2004, 04:13:21 PM

quote from Web

that quote from the web is slightly misleading "Syncro" to "4Motion" wasn't a simple rename, it was a completely different physically setup.? Also doesn't a post 98 passat share it's platform with Audi's A4 or was it the A6, can't remember?? in which wouldn't it actually be a quattro underneath not a haldex setup????

Rob's right, syncro and 4motion are totally different.  The Audi's that have transversely mounted engines use the haldex system, but are still badged 'quattro'.
confused yet?!?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

likegolf88

Quote from: dubstar on December 30, 2004, 09:56:33 AM
There was also a limited run of syncro passats in the early 90's. (haven't seen one in nz though)

It's a shame. Ive only ever seen those nice passat GT's usually navy or grey, hardly ever manual tho'.

carlos

Now I'm seriously confused.............I was contemplating trading the A4 Avant TQ on a W8 sedan.......need more space than an A4 sedan, but sick of the price of the Avants and the hits I've been taking when I trade them, and I see what I consider some real good deals on W8 sedans (mid $60k's)....but I'm a bit wedded to a 'real' 4WD rather than a viscous coupling......so who can help, please.......what does the W8 have?????

bsting

Quote from: wannabGti' on January 09, 2005, 02:06:15 AM
Quote from: dubstar on December 30, 2004, 09:56:33 AM

It's a shame. Ive only ever seen those nice passat GT's usually navy or grey, hardly ever manual tho'.

Seen one Passat GT 2L 16V man in Takapuna - it was Red.

dimistyle

4Motion and Quattro are the same 4WD system as far as I am aware.

And W8's are best of best Passats so I would say they still use the Audi Quattro 4WD system.

A friend just bought a 2000 Passat 4Motion wagon, badged 'Syncro' on the outside '4Motion' on the inside ???.

Back to web Batman.............................. :-\

Neil_Corrado

There is my theory..

Syncro is a Asian home market badge, the reason the don't use 4motion badges (its the same system on a Passat) is that generally the number 4 is considered unlucky in those countries. (Alfa Romeo had the problem when they launched the 164, it was re-badged Alfa Romeo 168.)

chocolatelustboy

I've just bought a 1999 V6 stationwagon 'syncro' / 4motion - dealers all told me the same as what Neil says - 'syncro' was the Asian market name used instead of 4motion. drives beautifully: responsive engine (would have been nice to have a bit more power at lower revs), sticks to the road like glue and pulls up nicely - if this is anything to go by then the w8 must be better than sex (likely to lead to lots too, I reckon...).    ;D

likegolf88

Quote from: chocolatelustboy on April 18, 2005, 04:35:06 PM
I've just bought a 1999 V6 stationwagon 'syncro' / 4motion - dealers all told me the same as what Neil says - 'syncro' was the Asian market name used instead of 4motion. drives beautifully: responsive engine (would have been nice to have a bit more power at lower revs), sticks to the road like glue and pulls up nicely - if this is anything to go by then the w8 must be better than sex (likely to lead to lots too, I reckon...).? ? ;D

Yea i bet its awesome, i was next to a w8 in sationary traffic this morning, asked if the driver wanted to swap for my mk2.... he wasnt too keen tho  ;D. Nice guy, but i didnt have time to tell him about vask

syncro_symphony

I am from Bulgaria (You may be don't know this contry) and I have Passat 2.0GL Syncro -92- it's an old of course,but i'm happy at winter time

likegolf88

Hey nice to see more foreign members, do you or anyone know if your model 92 passat would be a good syncro system donor car for the mk2 golf?

dubstar

You'll be doing so much fab work to make it fit that there really isn't any 'good'/easier donor car!

1.8t

Unless you get hold of a Rallye!

But you would have to be mad to go at it one of those.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

likegolf88

Hah yea probably mad and rich!