1.8t Conversion

Started by Aidan, November 10, 2008, 04:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80 Vert

You are right about it being kinda seperate but it will never run as nice in all conditions as with a factory ECU.
There is more scope for tuning with aftermarket but a stock ECU with chip will do 350hp with a matched turbo anyway, so..... if you chip it then have the Immo removed = problem solved with less cost and less headache in regards to tuning.
With the Vento coupe we are aiming for 400hp, there is a kit in the US now that still retains the stock chipped ECU so thats what we are going to try and use.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Filx

That's a good point. I expect you'd want to "chip" (remap) the stock ECU for some extra performance. Doesn't seem to be a lot of point in changing a 150 hp ABF for 150 HP 1.8T. In which case the Immo delete is kind of free as it comes along with the extra performance the remap delivers.  :)
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Aidan

Certainly is no point in staying with stock performance for sure. Chip and immo delete is all that I'll do to get in and running. Mods will be a whole new lesson.
Das Auto(s): 2007 MKV GTI Manual and a random Beemer

80 Vert

1.8T's have inherently weak internals.
Anything over 250 reliable HP will require stronger rods anyway, we have to replace rods & install forged pistons on our engine.

Vag_Hag

Interesting post indeed, I thought about the same idea for my Corrado. I'm glad i'm over the idea of transplanting a 1.8t into my rado. The cost of exercise would have been enough to buy a tidy vr6 manual and maybe a schrick manifold from the uk.

I guess 136hp +/-  and a 40mm weitec ultra gt shocks and dampers  will have to do for now...
Current weapon of choice: B5 Passat Tdi
Corrado 16V - RIP
2008 Seat Ibiza 1.9 Tdi Sport (UK)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.9 Tdi (UK)

VR6

The 1.8t engines are strong enough for 99% of people using them. 225hp engines chipped to 270-290hp don,t have to have the bottom end modified. You have to remember that when you modify the engine enough to get 350hp out of it you will certainly not use a 2nd hand engine that has done over 100000km and expect it to survive while you rape it. I think the 1.8T engine is such a great block to start with. Stock performance is great and there is so much aftermarket stuff available for them. Mega squirt seems to be fairly popular and I am pretty sure with a bit of hunting you could buy one that comes with a map for a 1.8T. I have been looking and have been able to find one for an ABF with proven dynoed map supplied for only $249.00 usd. Don,t be put off. It all comes down to knowledge

qta4

Stock rods on the AEB engine are certainly 16v rods, and bend at quite low power levels,espescially if there is any detonation .

I dont know about any other models of the 1.8t engine tho.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

VR6

Same conrods for a Golf AGU and Passat AEB engines. Later engines 180hp onwards have a different conrod and crankshaft. I service a 1997 A4 which had a MTM 210hp chip from new and done over 110km. They are strong motors when looked after. These days if you were looking to get 350hp from a 1.8t you would be silly not to start with one of the later 2000 on engines.

qta4

210 hp is what i would class as very low hp Bob.These engines will run all day with that sort of power.

I think that even with the cast crank that the aeb engines have ,a set of scat rods are really cheap $399 US. And then they can do much more HP than we will ever chuck at them.

I have personally seen an AEB engine with a Ko4 bend rods, mind you it was probably detonation that bent them TBH
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

VR6

Why don,t you turbo the 2.0 16 engine you already have ?. There seems to be alot of stuff for them these days. I found a place that sells cast exhaust manifolds that fit a ko3 straight to a 16valve. Then you will have a 2.0 l turbo

Aidan

That would be the ultimate solution, but it was said on here that a modded ABF wouldn't be daily drivable. Please correct me if that's wrong however.

80 Vert

Would be reliable if done right, however I don't recall seeing a Turbo kit available for this engine. and to peice one together with the correct size turbo etc could be fun.

Aidan

Quote from: vert1 on November 16, 2008, 01:54:21 PM
Would be reliable if done right, however I don't recall seeing a Turbo kit available for this engine. and to peice one together with the correct size turbo etc could be fun.

By that you mean hard right? My concern is after talking to Cameron about his conversion, I simply don't have the money to put into it like he has, and if I can't afford it, I don't want to have what was a perfectly good car lying in bits. I have skilled help for it now, but I still have that lingering worry with a conversion. If the bits to turbo my motor were source-able,  then it would be an easier way to go, wouldn't it? Having much less wiring etc to worry about.

80 Vert

The harsh reality is that if you don't have any mechanical ability/skill (which you say you don't really have) then all of this will be hard.
What I can see is that your car will end up in pieces, it all becomes a mission and you are left with a car that doesn't go anymore. (sorry if it sounds harsh but someone needed to say it  ;))
Its very easy for others to say yeah yeah, just do it but they are not the ones left with the aftermath when it doesn't work out - You are!

If you can find a turbo kit for the ABF (UK maybe???) then that would by far be the best way to go as it will come with some kind of instructions, all the parts needed and its proven to work already, It still is going to cost a fair bit of coin though.

Aidan

At least it'll be money up front, not constantly scratching for it! I knew it would be hard, it's about learning. I've just started to think that this is the wrong car for it. It's a nice thought that I now have someone with skill on board, though if I was doing the 1.8t conversion, I don't think he's gonna let me keep the stock ecu. If there is a kit available, that will be the way. To google it is, but if anyone already knows where I can find one, could they let me know. Cheers!

Aidan

BahnBrenner do a Turbo kit and a S/C kit  8) Thing is it's for the ABA Motor with a 16v head conversion, would work the same? If so I might flick them an email :)

Aidan

And it's pushing 160 - 200whp >:D :police:

80 Vert

Yup that sounds like what you want, no harm in asking if its suitable for an ABF engine. 200whp would go quite nicely.

vag_nutter

There are guys on the vwvortex site with a 16v head on a aba block putting out 300hp on stock internals

Aidan

Quote from: vag_nutter on November 16, 2008, 04:59:24 PM
There are guys on the vwvortex site with a 16v head on a aba block putting out 300hp on stock internals

The ABF bottom would be stronger than an ABA too wouldn't it.