PROJECT: vw offroader :D

Started by AndyGti, December 11, 2008, 07:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86gte

try putting it in gear and rocking the crank back and forth for a while, could free it up

AndyGti

Quote from: 86gte on December 23, 2008, 04:22:46 PM
try putting it in gear and rocking the crank back and forth for a while, could free it up
crank shaft is seized

86gte

How did you get on with seperating the engine?   got any more work done on it yet?   mines going pretty slow as im preparing to get married in a few weeks and i get in too much trouble if i even open the garage...   but i have wire brushed back the small rust spots and put brunox over the effected areas, and cut off a few messy welds and old unwanted bits etc...

AndyGti

no progress over xmas /new years. i spend another hour or so on the darn engine and have moved it a further 10mm so i can now see the flywheel but still no give very thing. you should post some pics up of your one

86gte

Here are some pics from the day i got it, has had a bit of work since but not much.

Lots of fun work to be done yet

86gte

Oh and it came with a set of masserati air horns!    :laugh:

AndyGti

nice its pretty much a single seater of my one. one they are both running we should hit a beach sometime.

86gte

Yea definatly, your frame shape seems a little different to mine, esp aroudn the engine area. but that might end up changing to fit the 4age anyway. Let me know if you find any good sources of parts etc

AndyGti

Quote from: 86gte on January 07, 2009, 11:20:17 AM
Yea definatly, your frame shape seems a little different to mine, esp aroudn the engine area. but that might end up changing to fit the 4age anyway. Let me know if you find any good sources of parts etc
vw shoppe is pretty good but then again there a customer of mine so they look after me.

86gte

Looks like a 5 pot is lined up for this now, will be a torque monster!

AndyGti

5pot! awesome! im gonna stik with the air cooled just in the off chance i roll it i dont have to worry about busting a rad or anything. been slowly chipping away on it removed everything thats not tube frame and engine now. yes the engine is still stuck!!!!! short of cutting the gearbox open to cut the d/shaft i think ill have to take engine g/box out at same time

AndyGti

update on buggy time
spent the weekend in garage with my brother ripping the thing apart, it took a 8inch angle grinder to get the engine off! but now its all tube frame and we have to look into what need to be replaced and where we go from here. here afew pics from when we were pratting around, maybe next project vw offroader rat rod??

qta4

How are you going to attack this project Andy, i suggest making all modifications , re welding etc, then getting frame sandblasted, then powder coated.should then be sweet.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

SOFTLAD

Would it not be better to sand blast first and a quick blow over with primer
a. To show up all the rotten areas that will require work.
b. To give a good clean base to weld to when modifying and patching.

Otherwise you'll always be working in rust duct, and before you can weld anything you'll have to get the grinder out, once blasted the only thing the grinder will be used for is cleaning up the welds.

Just my thoughts that might be wrong

qta4

You are right, the main point was powder coating.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

AndyGti

my old man wants to rebuild this chassis but i reckon start fresh :p and use it as a blue print. we shall see where it goes from here. have pipe bender and welder organised. anyone know of a company in auckland that used to build these? aparently they built a whole series of them including this one, i want there blueprint plans!!!

old4130

There was a guy who I was student with years ago.. His dad was fully into these, & used to build them

He was the auto lecturer at Unitec.. He will know all the ins & outs, & maybe plans

Will see what I can track down for you
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

vag_nutter

How bad is the chassis? I would just repair it

AndyGti

Quote from: X 130R on August 17, 2009, 11:01:14 PM
There was a guy who I was student with years ago.. His dad was fully into these, & used to build them

He was the auto lecturer at Unitec.. He will know all the ins & outs, & maybe plans

Will see what I can track down for you

cheers dude!!
the bottom 2 chassis rails dont exist and the two big ones from front to back are also rusty

86gte

Oh Man, now i have to get my arse into gear on my one after see your pics!   Got to get the 90q out of the way first which means getting the suspension etc sorted. Then try to figure out getting the 5 pot to hang off the back of it. Might have to put wheelie bars on the back of it with all the extra weight so far back.