Flushing the box

Started by Pushbutton_auto, July 15, 2005, 04:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushbutton_auto

Jem, if I take the pan off and clean the filter, sump.. etc, then refill and a week later, do it again, I will be removing more of the fluid that was in the converter, that didnt drain the first time, correct ? and then did again say, 2 weeks later it would be close to clean ?
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

1oldAudi

There is logic there but that filter maybe quite full of contaminants so best to change it. When i did the trans for my old 100 i pulled down a second wrecked unit and was amazed at the amount of sludge products that had built up in the valve-body channels. Running fresh fluid would not have cleared all this because of pressure/flow variations occuring within the channels. One thing though that a fluid change would benefit things is that of any ingress of diff oil that might be happening because of dieing seals... The same should be done for the diff, but draining one is a bit of a project indeed. You'd need to syringe it out i guess....

orggti

Oh god i hate those old 3 speed transmissions  >:( I HATE them >:D they are the killer of audis. unless of course your 1old audi, but even then ??? you are hust about to sell someone a whole load of audi 100 parts to do up there old car then the trans flops and they offer you the whole thing for free..........sheesh. >:(

Pushbutton_auto

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

1oldAudi

Yes orggti they are the bain of all 1980s 100s and well, Audi got it REALLY WRONG.... A big ooops in the engineering department with design i suppose. Built in obsolesence some say. Relying on seals to prevent the transfer of trans fluid into the diff oil when the whole thing goes through a cycling variation of temperatures as the engine /trans heat up and cool down. No wonder the thing only lasts 200,000kms and crapes itself.

I wonder (still) what could i put in there instead. Subaru? (eeek). Anyway... since i've rebuilt my trans i've treated it to quite a few HotRod attitudes where i go out of my way to see if i can BREAK THINGS. I can report that i've not been able to and the car really is a joy to drive on long trips.

orggti

you could fill your diff with ATF so when it leaks through it wont matter ;D

1oldAudi

...but then you'd end up with a grindie diff in no time at all..... That part of the system HAS to have diff oil... EP90 in there!

orggti

Quote from: 1oldAudi on August 04, 2005, 01:30:46 PM
...but then you'd end up with a grindie diff in no time at all..... That part of the system HAS to have diff oil... EP90 in there!
Yea i know. Shame tho that all the other makers of autos seem to manage with their diffs running in the same ATF fluid as the rest of the box.

Pristle

When it comes to auto transmissions, I recommend giving Harold a (client of mine) call at Euro-Jap 09 2722 111.

I know it's a plug for another S. African, but he knows what he's doing and as the name suggests Euro cars are his specialty, even if they come by way of Japan.

orggti

He wont want to know about old audi 3 speed autos, trust me.

Pristle

Oh he does.........I've heard the groans already

orggti

Quote from: Pristle on August 04, 2005, 06:37:04 PM
Oh he does.........I've heard the groans already
Hmmm im not quite understanding you here? He wants to fix them but he groans about it? Cause they are impossible for ANYBODY to repair for a cost that is worth what the car is. Any auto shop can do them they are in fact a easy box to work on they say, its just the cost of removing it from the car, repairing it with a parts kit AND the diff if you dont want that to crap out soon after, and fitting it all back in the car its about $2500 in parts alone (crown wheel and pinion,full auto box rebuild kit) so even if theres no labour charge its a dead duck. 5-7 years ago yes, now no. If he still says yes he can do it after reading this for a price that befits the cars then ill eat my hat. which happens to be a piece of lettuce i wear on my head :P

Pristle

I wasn't suggesting he wants to repair them. I understand it's because of the cost. As you've said , all too often the repairs are more than the car is worth. Despite this though, there are customers who are prepared to wear it. (I'm in the IT game, I love this kind of client)

The groans are metaphorical.

He recently did my bro's Mk3 GLi (Japan import). The groans were from the mechanical insurance company, the repairs costs were ?$2300 inc. GST.