Buying a Mk3 VR6...help needed please

Started by nzgti, January 01, 2005, 02:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzgti

Hi there

Found this on trademe..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Volkswagen/auction-20261669.htm

have a friend who is lloking for a new car......this looks to be a good deal, only we don't know what to look out for with regards to what needs doing and when.

i.e when should the clutch/waterpump etc be expected to last, what sort of things should i expect a 140k car to have had done sso that i won't have to do it.??

any links to an online buying guide or your own advise appreciated...

regards..

1.8t

Tom has looked at this one I think? Its been on trademe for a while, it does look nice though :)
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

RS ZWEI

Looks to be a nice car. Ive seen it on Trademe before. It would be a rare car being NZ new, a manual and a 3 door.

Ive had my VR6 for 8 months, I got it at 127,000 Kms and its now done 142,500 kms, all Ive replaced was front pads and discs. At this Kms I would say the dampers and springs might be getting passed there best and may need replacing, as with my car. Oh and the bushes up the front (that engine is quiet heavy).
I think that coil packs and leads are a bit costly so keep that in mind (not that I have had to replace them in my car)
Other than that, check the service history, it should be easy being as how its NZ new etc.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

bsting

Looks ok - fair price. I looked at 3dr man UK import 1993 sunroof 106miles for $7800 last month.
? Find out if all the belts (ac & ps too) have been done. When ?

FSH helps. Get full inspection - plugged into vagcom. Approx $120 from vw dealer incl a hoist.
Haggle with real cash.

robh

pretty much any vr6 with those sort of km's will need shocks and top mounts replacing, they take a real pounding with all that weight, most people don't bother replacing shocks until they leak (fail wof) but they will be totally knackered by now.

apart from that just do the full inspection including compression test, make sure they have some decent paperwork showing it has been regularly serviced.

you don't need to worry about cambelt change as cams are chain driven

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

RS ZWEI

Quote from: robh on January 01, 2005, 09:39:36 PM
pretty much any vr6 with those sort of km's will need shocks and top mounts replacing, they take a real pounding with all that weight, most people don't bother replacing shocks until they leak (fail wof) but they will be totally knackered by now.

apart from that just do the full inspection including compression test, make sure they have some decent paperwork showing it has been regularly serviced.

I thought it looked like a chain.

In an AA report in the history if my VR6 a few years ago, (80,000 km/h) it states that the cambelt is cracking and will need changing! lol
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

RS ZWEI

nzgti, have you had a look at this car? What is it like?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

robh

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on January 04, 2005, 08:57:39 AM
Quote from: robh on January 01, 2005, 09:39:36 PM

I thought it looked like a chain.

In an AA report in the history if my VR6 a few years ago, (80,000 km/h) it states that the cambelt is cracking and will need changing! lol

they were probably talking about the water pump/power steering/air con belt????
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

nzgti

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on January 04, 2005, 08:58:52 AM
nzgti, have you had a look at this car? What is it like?

My friend has gone to AKL to check out some cars, I hope this ones still on his list as i wouldn't mind a drive!

Thanks for your help.

bsting

Ive seen a few mk3s out there that have damage to the underside - because people jack them up in the wrong spot.
Hence one reason for putting car on hoist.

GLIDN

My brother had a vr6 about 18 months ago. Generally between 145000km and 165000kms the petrol pump some times go. Those things are not cheap, you have to buy the complete unit and if you go to a vw dealer here expect to pay between $1300 and $1500 for the unit the still installation on top of that. The petrol pump is very tricky to get out. At those kind of kays. Not only the struts and springs and the top hat. But check the bushes on the lower control arm on the front, as well as the bushes on the rear sub frame. and possibly even a wheel bearing or two. One i looked at about 8 months ago. All the shocks springs, top hats, all the bushes under the car, and brakes all around. The rear sub  frame was really loose.

And this car had only travelled 90,000km. Bad hey.

Well those are a few things you should check when buying one.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

nzgti

Quote from: 1.8t on January 01, 2005, 03:08:41 PM
Tom has looked at this one I think? Its been on trademe for a while, it does look nice though :)

Who is tom?  and what did they think?

1.8t

Quote from: nzgti on January 07, 2005, 12:23:06 PM
Quote from: 1.8t on January 01, 2005, 03:08:41 PM

Who is tom? and what did they think?

PM him and ask, his user name is veedubtom

Im not sure if he did check it out but he mentioned he was interested in it on the old forums.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

Mike

VR6 suspension feels floppy even when not worn out - inadequate damping from new - reviews at the time commented on it frequently. If replacing shocks, use quality aftermarket like Bilstein or Koni. Makes an enormous difference and the car is so much more agile.

The sump is quite low and vulnerable, so have a look for damage there.

Also, they do use oil, even when there is nothing wrong with the engine. Check the oil level of any car you're looking at.

Some tyre shops jack the car up on its sills - behind the front wheels the edge of the sill can bend inward as there is a lots of weight there and it is only supposed to be supported in this spot by the factory jack, where all the weight is not on the edge. If using a trolley jack etc there is a point inward of the sill illustrated in the manual.

There were some problems with early cars, mainly fit and finish. Get a late car if possible.