Traction Control in Mk3 Golfs

Started by RS ZWEI, December 16, 2004, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

I have come across T/C in alot of Mk3 VR6s, my VR6 hasnt got T/C so I am trying to find out what models do and what models dont.

Anyone have any ideas?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

MRVR6

MRVR6

mine is import, but still no T/C. Having said that, what is it look like, a button somewhere?

Mike

Mine was '93, NZ new manual and it did have T/C

The Admiral

1997 16V - no traction control...

I think the t/c on these (if available) would be the simple version. I think they basically apply braking to the wheel that's starting to spin. Not 'real' traction control...

Mike

It does not prevent wheelspin unless one wheel is spinning at a different speed to the other. Then it applies the brake to the faster spinning wheel. The fact wheelspin still occurs easily in a straight line might lead people to think their car is not fitted with T/C when it actually does have it. I've got a '97 VR6 brochure somewhere that describes it.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Mike on September 14, 2005, 11:05:24 PM
It does not prevent wheelspin unless one wheel is spinning at a different speed to the other. Then it applies the brake to the faster spinning wheel. The fact wheelspin still occurs easily in a straight line might lead people to think their car is not fitted with T/C when it actually does have it. I've got a '97 VR6 brochure somewhere that describes it.

The 1st VR6 that I drove  when Dad was a VAG dealer had a button to switch the TC off.
Mike. was the TC in your old car switchable?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Mike

No button to switch it in or out on my car - it was what I call 'nanny state' traction control - you get it whether you like it or not.

From memory it didn't flash a warning light when TC was operating either - unlike the 180bhp FWD TT I drove - booting it up a hill I had the light flashing most of the way up. 

I was driving up a muddy slope once in the VR6 - a mate of mine watching from the side said he could see the TC operating, slowing the spinning wheel down. Inside it felt like a tugging on the steering, one side then the other, probably as the TC alternated as one wheel then the other as it started to spin. The brakes were warm afterwards.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Mike on September 15, 2005, 09:06:19 PM
No button to switch it in or out on my car - it was what I call 'nanny state' traction control - you get it whether you like it or not.

From memory it didn't flash a warning light when TC was operating either - unlike the 180bhp FWD TT I drove - booting it up a hill I had the light flashing most of the way up.?

I was driving up a muddy slope once in the VR6 - a mate of mine watching from the side said he could see the TC operating, slowing the spinning wheel down. Inside it felt like a tugging on the steering, one side then the other, probably as the TC alternated as one wheel then the other as it started to spin. The brakes were warm afterwards.

So my VR may have it and I just dont know?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Mike

I was under the (possibly incorrect) impression it was standard on the VR.

You can feel it operating - exactly as BSTING describes. Try it and see.

Or give Neil a call with your VIN and he would be able to tell you.

bsting

Try this..... wet road, stuff all traffic about, pref late at night, corner at an intersection in 2nd and leave it in 2nd, feed it!!
this is hard to explain online.

get back to us....btw drive safe  ;D

Simon MkII

Or just give me your chassis number and I'll look it up in ETKA  ;D
Mazda Mx5

hitmanGTI

Skids what a socially demeaning past time..... not lol >:D

hitmanGTI

160 in a 100 yesterday... didn't get snapped thou... lol

dont worry my uncle got pulled up in his Clubby for this reason i quote the Cop "Sir do you realise you were doing a 101kmh in a 100" i mean WTF

He got ticketed.. lost another 20 demerit points (two speeding tickets already in the previous month)

Period_Correct_

Quote from: hitmanGTI on October 29, 2005, 08:08:51 AM
dont worry my uncle got pulled up in his Clubby for this reason i quote the Cop "Sir do you realise you were doing a 101kmh in a 100" i mean WTF

He got ticketed.. lost another 20 demerit points (two speeding tickets already in the previous month)

did it really happen, you're suppose to be able to do 110km/h
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

Quote from: NasTnaS on October 29, 2005, 08:32:12 AM
did it really happen, you're suppose to be able to do 110km/h

It did really happen... could have been worse.. cos he abused the crap out of the cop afterwards

RS ZWEI

160 in a 100 yesterday... didn't get snapped thou... lol

I find that hard to believe.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

hitmanGTI

Thats your perogative cheif..

anyway.. back to traction control in Mk3 Golfs

Dubious

How could he get 20 demerit points for doing 1km/h over the speed limit? The number of demerit points for up to 10km/h over the speed limit is 10:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/roadcode/driver-responsibility/stepping-over-the-line1.html

He must have been doing something else other than speeding to get that many points.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

Period_Correct_

well if you get a ticket gor being 1 km/h off, theres so many errors that add up to get that ticket erased its unbelievable.

1. error within the laser gun.
2. error within the speedometer.

lol, ok not that many reasons..
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26