IPOD Interface for A3

Started by A3TURBO, January 13, 2009, 10:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A3TURBO

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of installing an iPOD interface for my A3 (2007 2.0 T) - an authentic Audi interface is around $450 installed, whereas an aftermarket is around $350 installed.  Does anyone know how good the authentic Audi product is vs aftermarket?   Pros & cons?

I have heard that the Audi interface allows you to control the iPOD via the factory stereo - is this correct?

Many thanks... ::)

fatjoez

yeah i think the audi one would naturally let you control the ipod via stereo since it's made by audi....

The alternative is replacing the head deck with an aftermarket one with Ipod support.

or the alternative you suggested which would be an aftermarket whatever it is..

Up to you

Trofeo

Forget the Audi one as you can ONLY control the Ipod from the Stereo (and the interface is hopeless - you will hate it). Get one from Grom (around $140 on ebay) and you can control from either the stereo or the Ipod itself.
http://www.gromaudio.com/

there are some threads on this forum around this topic too.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Quattro30

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits/parrot-mki9200

With the Mki9200 you can play your ipod through car stereo and have hands free calling  :)

rotten

did you end up getting something for the ipod integration?  need to do the same thing, the Dension setups look like they fit might the bill ;D

HaNs

Quote from: rotten on May 26, 2010, 09:35:28 PM
did you end up getting something for the ipod integration?  need to do the same thing, the Dension setups look like they fit might the bill ;D

What car do you have? We have some stuff in development for Audi's and VW's at the moment.

rotten

Quote from: .... on May 26, 2010, 09:48:20 PM
What car do you have? We have some stuff in development for Audi's and VW's at the moment.

2005 A3, do tell more about what you've got  8)

RUFUS

I have a factory fitted IPOD interface in my A3 2.0T.  It's not too bad, it does the job, and that is to play music from my Ipod.  The interface connects to the CD changer, but still allows you to use the stereo and in dash CD player.  To use it, you have to press the CD button twice, then it loads all the songs into 6 tracks.  Everything is controlled from the stereo system.  The Ipod tucks neatly into the glove box and away from the dash area, which is good for security.

I thought about getting an aftermarket IPOD interface before purchasing the Audi one, but I wanted the Ipod to be put into the glove box instead of being attached to the dash in a holder or lying on the seat.  I find it safer to play with the stereo when driving (if that's considered safe) rather than trying to use the actual Ipod controls to change tracks...

The only thing I find annoying - it sometimes reloads intermittently after I turn the engine off and restart the car, meaning I lose the track that I was on....

rotten

I ended up getting a dension unit, real pleased with it  8)