Car Seat - ISOFIX

Started by Vicked, January 28, 2009, 04:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vicked

Hi there,

I've just moved to New Zealand and we've bought a 2003 VW Passat Wagon 2.8. It's a fantastic car.

We argued with the car dealer to have an anchor point installed, he took us to some Mechanic who said the luggage tether point was safe for a car seat...

Long story short, I disagree.

I have read about the ISOFIX system, but am not sure how it works. We don't have the car manual, so not sure if our car has it. Can anyone tell me how it works on an 03 Passat Wagon? Our car seat supports it.

We will probably still take our car to an anchor point installer and have an anchor put in.

Thanks in advance!

beeker

Firstly DO NOT USE THE 4X LUGGAGE NET POINTS AS A POINT TO ATTACH A CHILDS SEAT!!! THIS IS HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED BY ANY INFORMED MECHANIC OR ENGINEER.

Secondly, i highly recommend the use of ISOFIX. It has two U clips that sit in the joint between the backrest and seat pad. Stick your fingers down and look for them. My 2001 RS4 didnt have them, but you can buy a kit for retrospective installation on the Aud B5 platform - not sure on the passat?. There will be two for the left side and two on the right side (none for the centre, and rarly on the front seat). Google it or see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13216

Thirdly, some car seats (AU spec, such as the AU made Britax) have a 3rd overstrap. This is in addition to the seat belt OR ISOFIX. This needs an additional mount put into the back of your seat. You can get these guys: http://www.safeseats.co.nz/index.cfm to weld one in (very tidy). Again, do NOT use the luggage brackets for this. They are simply not strong enough.

here is a pic of me retro installing the ISOFIX bracket into my car:

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Filx

Hi Beeker - have you got any other pics of that retro fit brackets? Did your RS4 already have the mounting points but just missing the brackets or was there some customisation required?
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

beeker

Quote from: Filx on January 28, 2009, 05:54:44 PM
Hi Beeker - have you got any other pics of that retro fit brackets? Did your RS4 already have the mounting points but just missing the brackets or was there some customisation required?

My 2001 B5 RS4 (and all A4 B5 platforms ?? i think?) have the mounting points already there. All you need to buy is the bracket, and 2x bolts - from audi. Check with Audi spares.

Sorry, thats the only photo i have. All i can say, is that ISOFIX is great, especially with the 3rd overstrap (for car seats conforming to the AU saftey std). The seat is so so secure, unlike many car seats i see installed in the back of cars which just wobble around in such an unsafe way.

Quick tip: Car seats comply to one of 3x standards. US (poor), EU (good) and AU (best). The 3rd overstrap OR floorstand make a big difference to the seats stability. Remember, you'll pay a million dollars to fix your kids, so spend $1k now and avoid it by buying a decent seat and car fixing point. Recaro make some great ISOFIX seats, else Britax (AU standard) support reto fitting ISOFIX belts.

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Filx

Thanks Beeker - I'd imagine only later B5s have the fixing points for ISOFIX. But investigating if ISOFIX can be retrofitted to a none ISOFIX car (in my case the Mk3 Golf wagon). In which case getting a 3rd mounting point added as well shouldn't be a major issue.

On a slight tangent from the main thread but reading this it appears you'd recommend the Britax over the Recaros?
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

beeker

Quote from: Filx on January 28, 2009, 07:07:44 PM
Thanks Beeker - I'd imagine only later B5s have the fixing points for ISOFIX. But investigating if ISOFIX can be retrofitted to a none ISOFIX car (in my case the Mk3 Golf wagon). In which case getting a 3rd mounting point added as well shouldn't be a major issue.

On a slight tangent from the main thread but reading this it appears you'd recommend the Britax over the Recaros?

I wouldnt retro fit an ISOFIX fitting to any car, other than those designed to take them. You are playing with fire.

Seats, yes i generically recommend recaro and the AU made Britax. If using a seat belt (no ISOFIX support), get one with a locking buckle (like my britax which i'll take a pic of shortly), it makes a big difference.

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

beeker

Pics:

My 2001 RS4 B5. BMW car seat, ISOFIX. Very solid and rigid when installed, good head restraint, good height adjustable for top cross belt, Only good as a booster seat, rubbish for smaller kids.

My wife's car 2003 B6 Avant:

Rear seat brackets installed by the Recaro Disti's in Ponsonby/Grey Lynn (cant remember name). Very tidy install. Req'd for the Britax Overstrap.

Picture of our Britax seat for our 3 year old. Has both Harness (for 1yr+, but deinstalled in this picture) and support for std 3 point belt. Has a great feature when used with 3 point belt with a centre crutch belt which hooks over std 3 point belt. Anyone with racing experience would know submarining in a car accident is very common, and this stops this. We're using a Britax retro fit ISOFIX strap to keep the seat in place. Pretty solid.

Picture of our Britax seat for our 1 year old. Still using the infant harness. We're also using the Britax retro fit ISOFIX belt. You'll notice the red clip / clamp for when using the seat belt to hold the seat in place. This extra clip makes a big difference when using the seat belt (non ISOFIX installs) and helps stop it getting slack and loose. Highly recommended for non ISOFIX installs.

Close up of the Britax retro fix ISOFIX belt, that allows their typical seat belt attached seat to be ISOFIX attached. You also need the 3rd top strap thou, same as for the ISOFIX install.

I previously mentioned that car seats comply with one of 3x standards. The AU is the highest, and is tested to more G's. Thus the need for the top strap.

When installing the seats, its recommend to get the belts REALLY tight. Put you knee into it, and apply your entire eight when pulling the straps right. When the kids are in the seat, also make sure the belts are tight, they dont like it, buts its good for them if worst case happens.

This sites has some good tips: http://www.childrestraints.co.nz

If in doubt, visit the distributor for your seat, i've see some rubbish mechanic advice and installs over the years.

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Vicked

Thanks.

We will get an anchor point installed, in the meantime we will avoid driving as much as possible.

We're from Australia, so our Australian seat arrives soon.

Ridiculous the lengths the car dealer went through to avoid putting in an anchor point....

old4130

Great info Beeker

I had the anchor point mounted in my Golf [Non ISOFIX], I took the car up to Giltrap to ask who the recommended to do it, & they took the car & installed for free.

The SEAT Cordoba already had 3 points factory installed, Spanish must be breeders  ???

I used the same Britax seat as Beeker, great seat & size adjustable as they grow.  I looked at the Recaro ones [Yea I wanted to match up to my GTI's Recaro seats  ::) ], but thought the Britax was a better seat all round in the end

Definitely lock the belt into that red catch tight, & put the belts real tight.. he's right, kids dont like it, but they are secure
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

beeker

Quote from: X 130R on January 28, 2009, 09:44:05 PM
Great info Beeker

I had the anchor point mounted in my Golf [Non ISOFIX], I took the car up to Giltrap to ask who the recommended to do it, & they took the car & installed for free.

The SEAT Cordoba already had 3 points factory installed, Spanish must be breeders  ???

I used the same Britax seat as Beeker, great seat & size adjustable as they grow.  I looked at the Recaro ones [Yea I wanted to match up to my GTI's Recaro seats  ::) ], but thought the Britax was a better seat all round in the end

Definitely lock the belt into that red catch tight, & put the belts real tight.. he's right, kids dont like it, but they are secure

Giltraps use the same people i did. They are the ones that put me onto them.

PS. The latest range of recaro seats are way better that the OEM range or the old range. Insist on a test install, and give it the big rock test. IF it moves about, keep looking.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

robh

Quote from: Vicked on January 28, 2009, 07:56:35 PM
Thanks.

We will get an anchor point installed, in the meantime we will avoid driving as much as possible.

We're from Australia, so our Australian seat arrives soon.

Ridiculous the lengths the car dealer went through to avoid putting in an anchor point....

Not all, but a lot of car dealers here are sooooo lazy.  As you say they will try and wriggle their way out of doing anything that will cost them time or money.

I've even had them argue with me telling me I'm wrong about facts even though they have never driven the vehicle we were discussing!  Comparing Toyota Hilux with Nissan Navara, Toyota guy asked me what I thought and I told him I thought the Nissan was better because of this and that, he proceeds to tell me I'm wrong, I say have you actually driven or sat in the Nissan, he says "no", dork!
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

slowmo

looks like i need to revisit my carseat install.

i have a maxicosi and i just followed the manual's recommended install (no anchor points, just seatbelt)

it's going to need to be replaced soon after about 18 months of use, will try the britax.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Vicked

Thanks everyone.

We're having an anchor point installed tomorrow, they're going to remove the luggage tether point and install the anchor point there.

WillieVeins

Quote from: old4130 on January 28, 2009, 09:44:05 PM
Great info Beeker

How's that britax treating you? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being offtopic.
It's getting harder and harder to find a good car seat. There are so many on the market and with so many specs. This simple task turned into a month long quest. I feel that I've worked enough for a PHD. Now there are some scary amazon comments which almost made me drop this britax seat. Then I've checked out a few online blog reviews. There wasn't anything useful in them because they were all hype and neglected to mention any negatives. After some long searching I've came across a different site. It seems that they actually test these car seats in real life. After I've read the best britax seats article I've have added it to the short list. What do you think is it a good choice? How good is the clicktight system to others?

Pristle

Not just to hijack a thread, but I have one the VW ISOFIX bars available for retrofitting. I grabbed it out of the Passat before the insurance towie arrived. PM me if you need it.