wanting to buy a passat 1998-2001

Started by alijanjan, February 01, 2009, 12:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alijanjan

im looking for a passat as we will need a bigger car soon in few months :)
with my price range, i was checking on trademe
ive seen 1.8 turbos and 2.8
just wondering which one you guys recommend
currently i have a golf vr6 97. i love her but may need to let her go to get the passat
thanks in advance for your tips

John Stone

I've had a 1.8T 01 Passat for a while now. It's been a great car.
However over the last six months it's had a couple of engine management sensors fail and at the last service I was told the front brake lines were on the way out???
Also some of the turbo hoses need replacing too.
I would have expected better life span on these parts.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

wilco

alijanjan

depends if i can afford it. what sort of condition/price?
cheers

wilco

Of course its great  :D
Nah seriously it is a good car.  Dark blue metallic with "Saddle" leather interior, 5-speed tiptronic.  Has W8 BBS 17" wheels. 150,000km. NZ new, service history etc etc. Just finishing new CV boots on it, could do with new front shocks as it's a little soft on the bigger bumps.
I'll PM with more detail.
S.

alijanjan

thanks and sorry for the late reply
i did something stupid and traded my vr6 with a bmw!!

Winckel

Sick man,  ;D  Would you be interested in a 2000 VW Passat 1.8t Fully optioned, With black leather

alijanjan

Quote from: Winckel on March 28, 2009, 10:01:14 AM
Sick man,  ;D  Would you be interested in a 2000 VW Passat 1.8t Fully optioned, With black leather
not really since i got the bmw, unless you are willing to trade with a bmw740i, or trade with  my mk3 golf (of course with some cash :) )
cheers

Crockett

I had a 99 NZ new 1.8T tiptronic.  TBH I was rather diasppointed with it.  My old '94 Audi 80 2.6 avant was a much better car.  The 1800T seems a bit too gutless to me and on the whole the Passat was just a very boring car to look at and to drive.  I hear the 2.8 is slightly better, but that you would really want a 4motion to avoid the torque steer.  For my money, I would buy a nice facelift A4 2.8Q (98-01).
A BMW owner, but have in the past had some nice VAG!