RS6 C5 DRC suspension problems??

Started by xtr184078, February 05, 2009, 01:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtr184078

Hi there newbie alert!!

I'm looking at purchasing a 2003/04 RS6. However in many international foums there seems to be major ongoing issues with the Dynamic Ride Control suspension.
Many people in UK/USA claim they have the shocks etc replaced at intervals ranging from 6 mnths to 2 years.    :-\
Does anyone here in Kiwiland having any ongoing issues with the DRC ??
If so how is Audi handling the problem from your viewpoint ie: who is paying !!

Thanks for any comments
Andrew

spooln

Original warrantee is expired. If buying off a dealer, get the bolt on warrantee to cover it. If buying off a private owner......buyer beware.

PS: Great car.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Turbo

3rd party warranty from autosure should cover it. pretty comprehensive.

i think there's better cover if it's under 120km.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

HandsomeDan

Just out of interest...is your forum name based on a rear cassette from a  mountain bike?
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

RSVI

I haven't had any issues (yet, touchwood) with the DRC on my 03 UK spec RS6 which has 65ks.  I bought it private and considered the autosure warranty at the time but wasnt 100% confident it would cover the DRC due to the exclusions so you may want to check that first.  Note the maintenance costs on these things are nasty (eg. about $3k dealer cambelt service).  Still, if you want a beasty yet refined car, you cant go past it!

xtr184078

""Just out of interest...is your forum name based on a rear cassette from a  mountain bike?""

Hi Jason,

Nope I'm not that original !!  ::)

When registering I had a mind blank and so used a signon from work ........

xtr184078

"" I haven't had any issues (yet, touchwood) with the DRC on my 03 UK spec RS6 which has 65ks.  I bought it private and considered the autosure warranty at the time but wasnt 100% confident it would cover the DRC due to the exclusions so you may want to check that first.  Note the maintenance costs on these things are nasty (eg. about $3k dealer cambelt service).  Still, if you want a beasty yet refined car, you cant go past it!
[/quote]

Yep, I'm just making enquiries to various warranties at the moment. On the surface it looks like they cover suspension but not "shocks"  ???  and guess which bit packs up on these overseas DRC problems !!

Just as a comparison my 2002 A6 cambelt was $1.8K + gst [$600 labour + parts incl. waterpump, tensioners etc etc].
So yes If I do go for and RS6 then I'm expecting higher costs but think I'll aim for a low km dealer model with Silver Circle etc to try and keep things under control!

Apart from the maint. costs I've heard nothing but amazement over the performance of these ........ >:D

Thanks for everyones replies
Andrew

sisu

If you have it covered under the warranty then stick with the DRC, bear in mind alot of people have changed to coil overs for the long term as these 2 ton cars get older.

phil

There are a few RS6's on TradeMe at the moment advertised as having recent suspension replaced and updated under warranty - did Audi do a recall on the DRC on the RS6 ?

td19

The May 'Audi Driver' editorial is headed ' The DRC Affair' and explains the issue.  It appears it can cost in tthe rgion of UKP1500 to repair a single faulty damper!!  As suggested above a number of owners have apparently replaced DRC with conventional suspension, for only slightly more cost than that repair.

abe

I have just had the suspension on my RS6 replaced under a 3rd party warranty from Autosure. While a lot of owners in the UK reckon they have been through multiple sets of replacement shocks, CCS in Newmarket say they haven't had any problems with those they have replaced. Its a real issue with these cars and apparently the new RS4 has the same setup -with the same issue. Audi simply refuse to believe there is an issue and have argued with local NZ dealers that it is not a design fault - apparently they have had no replacements in Germany.

Yes, these cars are expensive to service and maintain. $3k for cambelt, $3k for rotors and pads, $3k for tyres, $1.5k each standard service etc. But they are a fantastic car and well worth the extra cost.

BB

All shock absorbers can wear out in 2 years. On a very heavy and fast car they probibly will.

What exactly goes wrong with them? Do they start leaking and therefore fail a wof or do they set off warning lights and or collapse causing severe driving issues?
I cant understand them failing in the UK and US and not in NZ or Germany ???

If it was me who was buying (it never will be) i wouldnt beat around the bush with a mechanical insurance policy. I would ask directly will this cover me for the DRC suspension? But it sounds like you know it dosen't as its the shock absorbers eh?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?