Audi Snook, the one-wheeled car with a brain

Started by B5Passat, February 27, 2009, 08:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

I think that is so cool.
Imagine how well a car could corner if it had wheels like that, an easy to park etc.
It would also be great for things like forklifts.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Pristle

That's like giving the Segway guy a wedgie. When's the next iRobot movie due out anyway?

GlenT

Problem is, getting in and out of the thing whilst it's bobbing about trying to stabilise itself.
Imagine a whole pile of these at the lights, dancing and swaying in the wind, banging into each other.....

5-pot

If it's as good as the segway, they won't move much in the wind.  those segways can stand pretty still...  I'm just wondering how quickly they can stop... 
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

HandsomeDan

Quote from: 5-pot on March 02, 2009, 04:27:15 PM
If it's as good as the segway, they won't move much in the wind.  those segways can stand pretty still...  I'm just wondering how quickly they can stop... 
Segways stop pretty quickly - problem is you sometimes go backwards if you stop too quickly - same movement to do both - lean backwards.

Cool fun to ride, too.

I'd love to see Audi's like the "i, Robot" ones. Loving those completely spherical wheels.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

5-pot

And what happens when they run outta juice?  :D  I just imagine the panic when someone realises they're low on juice in grid-lock traffic :P
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

GlenT

Quote from: 5-pot on March 02, 2009, 04:27:15 PM
But a Segway has two wheels, and this Snook is far bigger with a high center of gravity compared to the Segway, plus a fair amount of this mass is outside/overhanging the wheel, whereas the Segaways' mass is all between the two wheels..
Can't see it taking off at all.
Sure, the technology has been around for years and can be utilised. It's just that it's not practical, apart from size.
But I too like the spherical wheels, but I'll be wanting four on my car.

SimonS2

Quote from: GlenT on March 02, 2009, 05:24:28 PM
... a fair amount of this mass is outside/overhanging the wheel...
Sticking to traditional Audi design principles then :)
Mecanum wheels might be cool for this sort of thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecanum_wheel)

SimonS2

While on the topic of single-wheel vehicles, check out this V8 'monowheel':
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/strange_vehicles/mclean_v8_monowheel.html
I think there's a video of a prototype crashing someplace.