Up grading my 200.

Started by BB, March 08, 2009, 07:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

Well i got the K24 rebuilt with new seals and bearings and all bead blasted etc ;D It looks and feels like new now spins very smooth and has absolutely no movement!
I will put the engine up on the engine stand tomorow and start ripping it down to see what sort of shape its in ;) Im pretty much just thinking valve guide seals a reface and new gaskets all round with all new seals and everything cleaned and checked. It went well and Ive got little money. I have a head gasket already so i only really need to buy the valves seals and the shop will just have some i recon.

I cant wait, a K24 make such a good car out of a 200. with the K26 they are annoying to drive.
I might try and fit the head lining in properly as well and sort thee sun roof as I have new slide thingys for it that arn't broken like most.
Theres not many 200tqs out there any more and I do get quite fond of it. Wish i could park it off the st :P
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

qta4

Is your old 200 K-Jet Jeremy, i suppose changing the turbo isnt such a problem if it ism as the flap just rises more and gives more fuel, and the retard on boost just happens,

You will have 2 Magic engines soon ;D
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

5-pot

Hey Jem, what are you doing with your old k26?  I think I might need a spare...
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

Yes it k-jet  turbo is a turbo works the same just earlier.
I will sell you my old K26 5pot if you want it for pickapart price which is about $80 I think. I have two.

BB

Well the turbo just bolts on but the hoses need some mods to fit. its gona be bitchin.

BB

All the hose mods will be easy enough.
I am missing two of the clamp things from around the k24s cold side that hold it together. I can make some up from other ones he has tho cut and weld them to right shape if hemihead hasn't got them.
Cost $500 to rebuild the turbo :P Which is cheap. New genuine kit plus shaft balanced and 4 hours to do the work including bead blasting it all up like new. A new K24 from Germany is over $4000 his cost.
It feels absolutely mint now no shaft movement at all, it will just hum.
Its something I always wanted to do but never thought I would ever find a K24.

Filx

Looks nice Jem - $500 for a turbo recon is great value.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

vag_nutter

Should haul ass when done, that 100t in wellington only went for $300, I drove it and the motor and trans was mint, only had done 110k, only if I had the space ::)

BB

The autos go well in the 100s and 200s you just stomp them and they lift up and take off! the 100 you drove will be a K26 tho nutter and you just cant believe how much better a K24 is. They feel like a reallly quick car with one. I had a mate help me move Rex old Avant with a k24 and he just thought it was crazy to have a car that had so much urge. Lagbegone!

Horch

turbo water coolant plumbing?
2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

BB

Quote from: Horch on April 05, 2009, 11:15:22 PM
turbo water coolant plumbing?

Er yes...... there is water cooling to these turbos.
Not much action here to damn busy working and then being to lazy or sick of cars.

BB

I have fitted all the hoses and hard ware to the turbo now and then removed it again and the head.
the head is at the shop and it looks so good I think it will only need guide seals :)
I do really want to hone it and re ring it tho. I think this can really bring back the best of a ageing motor. I will want to do the big end bearings to then but depends on price.
I rang Simon at Giltraps and rings are NLA :P I'm sure I can get some after market tho, will leave that up to my engine guys to find.
Hopefully this will bring the old 200 alive in the same way my golf has got me so happy.
As said I have driven a K24 200 and it was so much better than standard.
I will refit the modded ecu that dosen't cut out the fuel pump at 6psi boost! Rex modded it for me but it made my car pink unless I had mobil 98 and I use it where I cant always get that.

BB

Head done, reface, strip, vac test, all new guide seals, cleaned and checked straight through the cam tunnel and hardness etc.
$220 :) Im happy with that it looks mint.
I have also got new rings for it. Expencive :P $450 but it will be worth it in the long run, its done 168thou and a new set of rings will restore good compression.
I have stripped down the long block trying hard not to ruin any gaskets as I don't want to have to pay for anything more :P
The big ends look fine, tho I will price some.
loads of bits of steel to clean and paint, rocker covers sumps cam gaurds etc, i think i will bother too paint this engine all up and have it looking real nice.

qta4

Im really surprised any VAG engine requires rings at such an early age Jeremy, but good to see the old girl heading for another 168 thousand k's. Good tow vehicle ..
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

BB

It ran fine but the bores were smooth and getting a slight glaze. A hone and new rings will see it into the ends of time ;D

BB

Well got all the bits back except new head bolts on order.
Cost me $940 to get the block, pistons etc all cleaned and honed and assembled. $450 of that was the cost of the rings :P
It looks great and I fitted the oil pump and pick up and sump last night out in my man shed.
I love doing nice clean work like this.

BB

BB

Im trying to put up pics but it says this ???
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.
Why is it doing this? the pics are smaller than 120kb?

rambo_005

I'm not sure what the problem is... have you got a photobucket account Jem?

They are very handy for putting all your photos up on :)

GlenT

I've been having the same problem when trying to post pics for the last few weeks.
I thought it was since I loaded Ubuntu, but others are having problems too.
I even signed up with a Photobucket account and did it that way, but with the same result.