Up grading my 200.

Started by BB, March 08, 2009, 07:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5-pot

I don't think it's a bush that you swap over eh...  You yank the bush outta the crank and there's a pilot bearing in the flywheel for the gearbox input shaft.  But I think  you already knew that :D
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

It is a bush and its in the crank not the flywheel.
In the auto engine there is a big steel bush, in the manual engine there is a removable bush with a spigot bearing in it.
I have to swap the bush and spigot over but as nutter says I will replace the spigot roller bearing.
i have a spigot bearing ....just gotta find it now :P
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

5-pot

Ohhhh ok.  on the KV motor there's a bearing in the flywheel not the crank shaft.  Nevermind! :)
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

Yep there often is the bearing in the flywheel ;)
Well I got it out by getting a bit of metal lathed down to fit exactly and putting grease in and hammering it out and then i found that it stepped down and the hole was just the right size for me to hammer the new bearing I had in their so its all go.
I have the flywheel and clutch on and found a new engine mount and so on, all looking good and so good to be able to use all this stuff I have collected over the years.

Pushbutton_auto

You working on it tonight or in the morning ?

might pop over and lean on a shovel  ...  8)
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

BB

on and off all day. mostly just fluffin around.

BB

Good fluffin.
Engine in and bolted up.
Exhaust almost done up. Should have it running tomorow.
Will take some more photos.
pop over PBA.

BB

Sorry PBA and Simon who came to visit and help today :P I had ANOTHER migraine! That's 3 Fridays in a row now. :'( :'(
Only just getting better now an its 4 pm nearly. Feel like crap.

BB

Car is going. Its nice and smooth and goes well pulls about 7psi of boost as well when it only just got to about 4.5 before.
But its not quite as good as I thought it would be :P As in its no where near as good as Rex old 200 avant with a k24 was but maybe i still have a boost leak as his made 9psi.
I do have a modded ECU that I will fit today and see if that makes it better ;)
Only other thing is there is a slight scraping sound that could just be the fan belts but kinda sounds like its in the clutch area, i hope its not the thrust bearing as i did have to spray engine degreaser and water into the bell housing I hoe I haven't degreased the bearing to much tho I did try to not do that.
I will strip the belts off the front and run it to see.
And then maybe check its not the sensors scrubbing very slightly.
Im happy tho, its going good.

OOOO

Have you got the standard spring in the wastegate Jem?
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

BB

Yes. I think that may be the difference ;) Thanks Scott.

BB

Did some good stuff today.
Found out that the G60 calipers take a slightly different disc than the other single pot calipers and that the pad was not touching on about the bottom 7mm, making a big groove and breaking up the pad a bit.
I have ordered the correct rotors from Partmaster for around $100 each.
I have also run tests and found there is nothing wrong with the telemetic fuel pump relay system, I just have the wrong fuel pump relay.
I can get another from Giltrap for about $70 so will do that soon.
I have swapped the waste gate tops as the other one has had the glue removed and i have wound it down as far as I can. Will see how it goes when I get the brakes back together. I want around 9psi.
I have also fitted the modify ECU I have, I think the timing is advanced with this mod and also the boost cut out raised or deleted.

I have some very good 2nd hand pads I will fit,I got em from a car at pickapart for $12 the set after just paying over $100 for a set the day before.

So all I have to do now is fix the damn ABS. Has anyone got any wheel sensors for the older 100s and 200s? Wilco?

Plus I got the wires on the wrong way around for the speedo transponder and I think I'
ve cooked the speedo gauge in the dash :-\ I hope its the dash as the transponders are like hens teeth, tho Spinner has one with a stripped drive.
the rev counter dont work eitheer but i know how to test it and i think its the gauge
I got some other dashes to swap out and see what works.
Then I just gotta finish the headlining and put the new sunroof rails in i got.
Then fix the door locks the damn kids wrecked.
Then get a few scrapes and scratches and clear coat fixed up.
Sew the leather seats back up where they have seperated.

John Stone

Quote from: BB on September 01, 2009, 07:51:09 PM
Did some good stuff today.
  I have swapped the waste gate tops as the other one has had the glue removed and i have wound it down as far as I can. Will see how it goes when I get the brakes back together. I want around 9psi.
I have also fitted the modify ECU I have, I think the timing is advanced with this mod and also the boost cut out raised or deleted.

Nnnnnnoooooo - you'll cook a piston Jem. Put a pressure gauge in line in the inlet manifold to top of wastegate hose to see what boost you're getting, then wind in the spring.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

BB

I've got a boost gauge. I very much doubt I will even get 9psi and I'm sure it can cope with that.

John Stone

Quote from: BB on September 01, 2009, 09:26:32 PM
I've got a boost gauge. I very much doubt I will even get 9psi and I'm sure it can cope with that.
You should get close to 9psi without resorting to winding in the spring. It really sounds like there is a downstream issue here. what happens when you pull out the dipstick, or take off the oil filler cap? It should run like a hairy dog, or even stall if you have no air leaks in the system. If there is no change to the idle, there can only be an air leak in the inlet system.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

wilco

So all I have to do now is fix the damn ABS. Has anyone got any wheel sensors for the older 100s and 200s? Wilco?

Sorry Jem, none spefically from those, however I have loads from the 80/90 B3/B4 era.  Are they the same?

BB

Do they just push in or are they held by a allen bolt?
I will post up a pic.

vag_nutter

BB

Quote from: John Stone on September 02, 2009, 06:58:57 AM
You should get close to 9psi without resorting to winding in the spring. It really sounds like there is a downstream issue here. what happens when you pull out the dipstick, or take off the oil filler cap? It should run like a hairy dog, or even stall if you have no air leaks in the system. If there is no change to the idle, there can only be an air leak in the inlet system.

John

Im pretty sure you need to wind the spring to get to 9psi John. Rex did. They are 6psi standard and the ecu cuts out at that unless its modded.
The car runs pretty good and smooth, i dont think there is any leaks. i will try the dip stick and cap but I didn't think they were quite such a sealed motor? Does yours run bad if you pull the dip stick?

John Stone

Quote from: BB on September 02, 2009, 08:29:06 AM
Im pretty sure you need to wind the spring to get to 9psi John. Rex did. They are 6psi standard and the ecu cuts out at that unless its modded.
The car runs pretty good and smooth, i dont think there is any leaks. i will try the dip stick and cap but I didn't think they were quite such a sealed motor? Does yours run bad if you pull the dip stick?
You could be right about the spring but I always thought the KG/WR motors were the same except the KG didn't have the i/cooler?
Never really looked at the plumbing on a 200 though.
To get proper enrichment/boost the induction side must be airtight.
Mine stumbles if I pull the dipstick and often stalls if I remove the oil filler cap, yours should too.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5