Up grading my 200.

Started by BB, March 08, 2009, 07:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

Well I got my dash back from Steve at speedo repairs. He swapped out the MAF gauge that had burst its LCD, and he got the rev counter reliable I hope and fitted a speedo that not only went it also counts milage. And its all working :)
But the transponder was blown. Bummer but he recons a mate of his can fix it for around a hundy so i will see if that gets done.
in the mean time i have borrowed Spinners and its working like a charm. So nice to see these things work at the end of a job like this.
Will get a wof tomorow.

Car is now a far far better drive and the difference in the brakes is just amazing, they are actually pretty damn good.

Now all I wanna do is go boost it down the motorway but I can only go 100kph :P How boring is NZ I wish we had an autobahn somewhere.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

qta4

Easily fixed Jeremy, just export your trusty old 200 to Germany and do it. >:D
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

BB

Well the speedo guys mate fixed the transponder for $100. So that's good.
So I can give back spinners one. he has a stripped gear on his but i am going to take it to the model engineering exhibition on the weekend 2nd 3rd and 4th at the Wiapuna hotel in mt wellington and see if some old lathe dude will make us another one.
i have worked out the best way would be to lathe the old teeth smmoth and then make a new gear bit that could be slid over the old area and glued into place. Im sure it will be able to be done and will cost $100 which is well worth it.

Really if you try and think outside the square you can fix just about anything on a car.

I'm all legal now and its going lovely I just need to find a money earning reason to go to Wellington so i can have a nice long drive in the darling.

BB

Well mostly good news I have had the AC regassed (with the newer compressor fitted when I did the engine) and its working very well, nice and quiet.
It had a leak when I first tryed to fill it on a alloy connection hose at a point where there was a locating tag on the alloy hose. I simply cleaned it up with part cleaner and put a big gob of Kneed it around it all and the AC guy was very impressed with such a easy repair that still held all his pressure in. This stuff is great and as long as your not yanking away on it like John Stones gear stick then it will last....its held Heathers gas in her fuel tank for 6 years now 8).
Anyway its so nice to have a cold car as the audi 100/200s are pretty good at letting sun in.

Bummers are that the rev counter is still intermittent at best, and the new trip computer screen has leaked again as well >:( Tho its not so bad and can still be read. I hate dash problems tho as they are staring you in the face every time you drive.

All in all tho with the new brakes and engine and head lineing and tyres and AC and clutch and tie rods and battery and shocks and steering wheel and PS pump I think I mite be good for a few drives. :)

wilco

How long has Heather been holding gas??  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

BB

Cant you read Wilco? 6 years I said.

Well at least I know one person is in here that cares about my old 200.
Thanks Wilco even if your idea of humor is a little wonky :)

John Stone

Quote from: BB on March 06, 2010, 11:52:13 AM
put a big gob of Kneed it around it all and the AC guy was very impressed with such a easy repair that still held all his pressure in. This stuff is great and as long as your not yanking away on it like John Stones gear stick then it will last....

Oi, I'm not yanking on anything Jem  :o

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

vag_nutter

Carjam says its only done 407,000km,

BB

Quote from: John Stone on March 09, 2010, 06:55:14 PM
Oi, I'm not yanking on anything Jem  :o

John

:-X :-* I didnt mean it personally John :D But just that a gear stick is an area that gets yanked on, so it may only last a certain amount of time :) But its still a fantastic repair ;D ;D :D :D

Benni.B

hay bb great job with the car hope fully mine will be getting the same treatment next year

just a question my 200 has power steering but it feels sooooo heavy

itl be fine when im cruzing,going round roundabouts and stuff but when i put the clutch in and the revs drop the dam thing gets soo heavy to turn

sory to jack your thread but you seem knowledgable when it comes to 200s

1986 tornado red 3dr mk2
1999 b5 a4 quattro

Pushbutton_auto

More power assisted than full power steering ...

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

BB

Either your belt is slipping or your pump is faulty. Make sure the fluid is full the pumps leak like mad.
They are not as light as some PS systems but they are not heavy you have a problem.

BB

Well after my 200 stopped at the Platinum drags I have finally found out what it was in the process of wrecking it.
It was the crank angle pin at the back of the flywheel :P Must have been damaged when I fitted it all in :'( :'( :'(
Oh well in the end I am happy as I have decided to press on with the Avant which has nicer seats, is an avant and the dash all works and hey it goes!

maxmax

Ah, I just wandered through the whole thread only to find it's been wrecked, what a shame! Do you have a photo of the whole car? I need to see the body for closure!
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

slowburn

Hi Jem , you may have some bits I need to get the Ooze running legal again please? I'll get the list outta her tomorrow.... and PM you if that was okay?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

BB

Sure thing, if I can help slowmo. I don't want to sell things like front indicator lenses tho but you could just borrow some bits to get a wof. Naughty.

I was driving last night and my mate pointed at my diff locks and said what is that so I turned them on :P
I tried to switch them off again but the center one kept staying on and I was trying to find a park around the back streets of Parnell :P :P
It was making an awful noise, I think the center diff is rooted and/or the drive shafts twist so much they rub the exhaust. It felt like it was wanting to dump the whole drive train on the ground.
In the end I took thee dogs for a walk and then reversed into a driveway to turn around and hey presto the diff unlocked and it was all fine again.
I will be fitting the whole lot from my other car tho, which is in better condition.
Whole pile of work again :-[

rambo_005

BB

00quattro00

Quote from: BB on February 15, 2012, 09:42:59 AM
Sure thing, if I can help slowmo. I don't want to sell things like front indicator lenses tho but you could just borrow some bits to get a wof. Naughty.

I was driving last night and my mate pointed at my diff locks and said what is that so I turned them on :P
I tried to switch them off again but the center one kept staying on and I was trying to find a park around the back streets of Parnell :P :P
It was making an awful noise, I think the center diff is rooted and/or the drive shafts twist so much they rub the exhaust. It felt like it was wanting to dump the whole drive train on the ground.
In the end I took thee dogs for a walk and then reversed into a driveway to turn around and hey presto the diff unlocked and it was all fine again.
I will be fitting the whole lot from my other car tho, which is in better condition.
Whole pile of work again :-[

You need to drive straight for a bit for it to dissengage
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

Yea not that easy in this situation. I was dumb to turn it on. Sure does lock them.
I think they also get sticky and the plastic vacume pots can fail also and work only one way