Removing Air Con Evaporator?

Started by robh, January 03, 2005, 07:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robh

ok, I've been having fun stripping the air con out of my mark II, it is a Diavia system based on Corrado VR6 parts because I have a Corrado dash installed.  The only part that is mark II is the fan motor.

I've stripped the condensor, compressor, receiver/dryer, but I'm stuck on the evaporator.  It looks to me like you have to split the heater casing into two pieces, mine appears to be sealed and riveted (not by factory, obviously) and then you can drop the evaporator out of the casing and then reassemble.  I don't want to spilt the casing and then find I've rooted the heater which I want to keep, does anyone know if you can split the heater casing and then reseal it after removing the evaporator?
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

dubstar

on my non-ac system I can split the heater box and then reseal, without any problems.  Need a hand?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

robh

yeah Bryce, txt me when your free and pop over I'd appreciate you looking if you have already split yours???

orggti

robh

did it last night, the blower and evaporate box is one piece and it bolts in with 4 bolts, mine was kind of not really very secure and sort of came out with a bit of a wiggle!

splitting the case in 2 was harder, I drilled all the rivets around the sides out, but the 2 halves were quite well sealed together, took me more time to get that bit done.  Now I just need to get a plastic welder to cover up the holes where the evaporate used to sit and reseal and rivet the casing together....

dubstar

Just get a soldering iron and weld it up yourself ;D

Started on the mounts yet?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

robh

gonna get some metal strips tonight and start on them Tues/Weds as Aims is away...

robh

made excellent progress yesterday, have installed a non air con blower box (heaps smaller) and didn't have to remove dashboard, which was a bonus.

also pulled even more wires out from air con switches and previous air con blower box.

the wiring and space underneath the dash is far less of a nightmare now, I'm not really worried about the wiring job, it all looks much easier now!

replaced the bulky 4l washer reservoir with a smaller 2l one from a polo and made up some mounts for it, tick that off the list of stuff to do....

dubstar

robh

hell no, there are still 1,000 jobs to do!