1.8t hesitating under full throttle

Started by noj, April 12, 2009, 05:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noj

On the way home from the nationals I overtook a car in 5th gear and the engine seemed to lose power and splutter until I backed off the throttle.

I tested this several times in different gears with the same result. Seems to happen only under 3500 revs under full throttle? Once the revs get up it goes fine.

I'm running BP 98 octane fuel. Will do a VAGCOM scan asap to see if any faults show up.

Has anyone experienced this?
1994 VW Golf VR6 manual
2003 VW Passat W8 4motion manual - RIP

BB

Id pick leads need replacing. I have just replaced my little ladys leads on her 16v KR motor and it started missing about 2 months later! It was the spark jumping out the side of the lead. I just wiggled and wiped it.
I think tho actually your car will have coil packs and they crap out with great regularity. They start arcing a hole through the side of the insulation.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: noj on April 12, 2009, 05:25:01 PM
On the way home from the nationals I overtook a car in 5th gear and the engine seemed to lose power and splutter until I backed off the throttle.

I tested this several times in different gears with the same result. Seems to happen only under 3500 revs under full throttle? Once the revs get up it goes fine.

I'm running BP 98 octane fuel. Will do a VAGCOM scan asap to see if any faults show up.

If it was the other way around John (hesitating up high in the revs) Id say fuel filter or fuel pump. Since its the other way round Jem could be right with the leads being the issue.

Let us know how you get on with VAGCOM.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

vag_nutter

Dont 1.8t have cop so theres no leads

80 Vert

Have had MAF sensor cause low rpm hesitation, and yes 1.8T has coil on plug.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Jetta CLI

Quote from: vert1 on April 12, 2009, 06:45:22 PM
Have had MAF sensor cause low rpm hesitation, and yes 1.8T has coil on plug.

had the same problem then replaced mine about a month back and its sweet again, mine is not 1.8t though

tonka

Quote from: noj on April 12, 2009, 05:25:01 PM

my mk3 16v did this.
mechanic said that the wrong spark plugs were installed, and so he just put some more powerful/correct ones in and then boom - problems solved :)

veedubman

Have you thought about the Ignition Amplifyer.. the damnin stupid Pluggy thing in the side of the Airbox.. that causes issues also..

most of these dont even show on vag com...

noj

Will look into some of these ideas, thanks. Green coolant temp sensor has been recently replaced, as has the MAF sensor.
1994 VW Golf VR6 manual

noj

Did a full scan with VAG COM tonight, no fault codes came up. Might have to drop the car into the VW shop and get them to have a look, thinking it might be the coil on plug system?
1994 VW Golf VR6 manual

BB

If the coil on plug fails it just causes missing all through the rev range.
What about this ingnition amp that Anton mentions? He is quite clever really.

veedubman

Im wondering if your crank angle sensor maybe on the blink...

that can cause cut power if it isnt plugged correctly.. but then again that one would showup over any of the others... try and borrow a working Ignition Amp (the thing in the side of the airbox) :)

You may have ended up with a Faulty MAF thou.. people seem to forget that parts that are out of the box.. can actually be faulty...

BB

But A faulty MAF would show up on the vag com scan wouldnt it?
Did you check the vacume line thaat goes to the ecu? If there is one, In brendons 16v it pulled perfectly to 5k then cut out, he put the hose back onto the ecu and it was fixed.

noj

I took the car to the VW service agent yesterday for an oil change and to have a look at the above problem.

What they thought was that the turbo was overboosting, and are waiting to hear back from Superchips UK for some info.

I'm not convinced this is the case, surely it would show in their VAS program?

After a quick read on some forums it looks like a lot of chipped 1.8t's are running N75J valves.
1994 VW Golf VR6 manual

veedubman

Quote from: noj on June 12, 2009, 08:13:35 AM
I took the car to the VW service agent yesterday for an oil change and to have a look at the above problem.

What they thought was that the turbo was overboosting, and are waiting to hear back from Superchips UK for some info.

I'm not convinced this is the case, surely it would show in their VAS program?

After a quick read on some forums it looks like a lot of chipped 1.8t's are running N75J valves.

all 1.8t have N75 J valves?

Ur hesistating will be coil packs or ignition module or MAF

noj

Quote from: Ante on June 12, 2009, 11:06:22 AM
all 1.8t have N75 J valves?

Ur hesistating will be coil packs or ignition module or MAF

Hmm apparantly there's several different ones. the J one is used in the Audi TT 225HP, whereas the VW ones regulate turbo pressure differently.

I'll price up an ignition module too.
1994 VW Golf VR6 manual