Competition for the A3.....

Started by Pristle, August 06, 2005, 05:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

Not a new VAG car but the forthcoming Honda Civic. Interesting styling. They claim to be targetting the BM 1-series and Audi A3 market segments.

"The company's managing director , Hiroaki Shibata , said: "This model represents a real opportunity for us to move the Civic up into the premium segment of the market, both in terms of the number of features and overall styling of the vehicle.

"A lower-end budget version of the vehicle will no longer be available and we therefore foresee targeting this vehicle against competitors... such as the BMW 1-Series and the Audi A3," he added."

Cartoday article with pics

Dubious

15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

dubstar

It looks like a toyota windy (aka corolla 2).  As for the civic being 'a real opportunity for us to move the Civic up into the premium segment'.  Unfortunately for the Japs, no matter how great their 'luxury' models are (and some of them are pretty good), they will always be perceived as the cheaper alternative.  There have been numerous attempts by the Japs to break into the euro/high-end market, Lexus is the best example, but none of these attempts ahve been a mind-blowing success.  It comes down to the Japanese always copying the existing market leaders and when you spend premium$$ on a car you don't want it to be a copy.

I think a line from that cult classic film The Castle sums it up best "Tell him he's dreaming"
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

hitmanGTI

Cheeky Buggers put D Plates on it to

John Stone

An area where the Japanese vehicle manufacturers have led the way is putting Euro style options on base level cars, and  I reckon good on them too, air con, electric everything, engines that run forever as well as engines that crank out the ponies!!
The shame of it is I've yet to drive a Japanese car that steers properly and is comfortable to sit in, perhaps they should have a crack at copying the French  ;D

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

OOOO

Quote from: John Stone on August 08, 2005, 08:49:24 PM
The shame of it is I've yet to drive a Japanese car that steers properly and is comfortable to sit in, perhaps they should have a crack at copying the French ;D

Ditto..
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

1.8t

If i want into VAG cars I would be in a little Civic EG.

Hondas are a decent value for money car in NZ imo.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

dubstar

Quote from: 1.8t on August 08, 2005, 09:22:37 PM
If i want into VAG cars I would be in a little Civic EG.

Hondas are a decent value for money car in NZ imo.

They are decent value for money (except if you have to by Honda parts!!), but they will never be competition for the Euro market in NZ.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Lunar7

looking at the sales figures, wouldn't it be more accurate to say the euro's will never compete against the japenese cars sold in NZ ???

dubstar

I believe the Honda guy was saying that they would be increasing the price of the civic and losing the base models so that they could compete with the high-end euros.  I don't think that the euro car market has ever aimed their marketing at attracting the middle age, middle class jap car buyer who wants something reliable and not too costly.

Dubious

My old lady went out looking for a Merc or BMW to replace her Mondeo, and ended up getting a new Accord Euro L. It came with full options for $8k less than a 2nd-hand base 318i.  It's a nice car to drive, and quality is much better than anything Japanese I've seen before.  Too much imitation wood in some areas though!
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

1.8t

The Accord Euro is a fine car, looks better than the v6 by far!

I dont think people who want a european car will even bother looking at a Honda.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

Period_Correct_

Jappas are just so "plasticky"  :(
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

Quote from: NasTnaS on August 10, 2005, 09:11:48 AM
Jappas are just so "plasticky"? :(

High five to that.. how ever who ever designed the interior trim of the Mk4 must of had yellow fever or something all plasticy and squeeky

im going to strip the car out one weekend for fun and just leave the two front seats in

Dubious

Quote from: hitmanGTI on August 10, 2005, 10:31:02 AM
High five to that.. how ever who ever designed the interior trim of the Mk4 must of had yellow fever or something all plasticy and squeeky

I think the Mk4 is excellent for interior quality! At least there is a lot of 'soft' plastics etc. It's a very similar interior to the E46 BMW.

Quote from: hitmanGTI on August 10, 2005, 10:31:02 AM
im going to strip the car out one weekend for fun and just leave the two front seats in

I hope you're joking about ripping out the interior of your car! Trust me from experience- it will NEVER be the same once it has been taken out and put back in
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

hitmanGTI

I've done it in all my cars..

plus some of my interior trim needs repairs any way.. so yeah its kinda not not an option

SamEEE

Its easy enough to take it out, but its an absolute dog to put back in. I had to take out my carpet when I got all my rust cut. Havent put it back in yet. Its cold and noisy. What would be the advantage of stripping it anyway?

What im trying to get at is that the difference in weight would be negliable- if you are going for weight reduction don't take cheap shortcuts.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: SamEEE on August 10, 2005, 08:11:23 PM
Its easy enough to take it out, but its an absolute dog to put back in. I had to take out my carpet when I got all my rust cut. Havent put it back in yet. Its cold and noisy. What would be the advantage of stripping it anyway?

What im trying to get at is that the difference in weight would be negliable- if you are going for weight reduction don't take cheap shortcuts.

no its just for fun.. and to repaired some damaged mounts on the trim

Period_Correct_

has the definition of fun changed  ???
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

no i just like doing things out of the ordinary