2 GTI's

Started by JDVW, April 15, 2009, 06:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDVW

every where apart from the sun roof..thats silocined up. it can be brought back its just guna take a long time. yea its says nz new but the speedo has km/h and mp/h whereas the gold one is just km/h
7̶9̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶L̶S̶ (̶t̶h̶e̶ r̶a̶t̶)̶
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

RS ZWEI

Quote from: JDVW on April 22, 2009, 12:55:01 PM
every where apart from the sun roof..thats silocined up. it can be brought back its just guna take a long time. yea its says nz new but the speedo has km/h and mp/h whereas the gold one is just km/h

Its a UK import then. For some reason I think Ive seen that car - years ago.
Whats the number plate?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

BB

How experienced are you at really knowing whether a rust job is hard or not?
I only ask cause i see alot of people put off by what i consider to be fairly acceptable rust levels.

I have welded up many rusty cars when they were rust buckets.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

JDVW

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on April 22, 2009, 01:47:04 PM
Its a UK import then. For some reason I think Ive seen that car - years ago.
Whats the number plate?

ok but the reg say 1982 golf and imported 1/82 so im guessing theyve registered it wrong cause they told me it was a 1980
plate's KJ9007
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

JDVW

Quote from: BB on April 22, 2009, 02:04:11 PM
How experienced are you at really knowing whether a rust job is hard or not?
I only ask cause i see alot of people put off by what i consider to be fairly acceptable rust levels.

I have welded up many rusty cars when they were rust buckets.

I dont have that much experience but ive done some work on some old rusty cars. Its not a hard job cause ive got the tools needed to do it
but its just goin to take a while form me to do it as the gold one is my main priority and some of the parts arent worth
fixing cause it would prob easier just to replace them.
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

BB

Sounds good, you got a mig and everything? Great tools those mig welders if you can use one well.
If you need a hand or want to borrow my baby folder etc I am happy to come take a look.
Good on you for concentrating on one car first tho, I have made the mistake of having to much on the go and you end up with nothing :P

JDVW

Yea got a mig but dont think i can drop the power down enough for such thin metal
it will probably just blow it away cuz its running .9 wire. The Green ones in Mangawhai
but if you wana take a look at the gold one im down in auckland every weekend.

Had a play around with the green one today theres more bog then metal in the roof and it hasnt been prepd
properly so its just dissolved the metal slowly. At one point theres about 10mm layer of bog before you reach
an old repair some ones welded in haha
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

80 Vert

You'll need .6 wire with your mig, should have low enough setting for that as most do.
Have tried welding panel steel with our 3 phase one and .8 wire but no good, same machine works well with .6 wire tho.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

JDVW

oh yea ill see how that goes when i get a chance.
theres pretty much nothing to weld up on the gold one but
will deff need to weld the green one when it comes time
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

JDVW

has anyone got a sunroof seal or know where to get one?
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

GTI's

i got a new one coming at Platinum, They order them in!

JDVW

:'(  into my car this mournin and it wouldnt start (batterys not flat) after tryin to start it it kicked over once and made a loud bang and out came a cloud of smoke....any ideas of what migt be wrong? its just been tuned and serviced
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

BB

Do the usuals check for spark, see if the plugs are wet with fuel etc.
Things that go wrong are fuel pumps and fuel pump relays, and check for a burnt out dizzy cap.

JDVW

Haha not to sure what the problem was in the end as the fiddled around with some of the wires goin to the coil and
is started up straight away. put a new dizzy cap on cuz it was making a really bad sound so hopefully thats the end of it.

Ive just stripped the green one out theres some pretty bodgey repairs in the floor aswell
All the carpet and insulating was soaking wet! As soon as the engine and suspension is out it
will be goin up on the shelf and restoring the gold one can continue  ;D
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

JDVW

hey guys does anyone know a good engine recodtioner? ive decided to keep the gold one original instead of putting in a newer engine
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

BB

Where are you? I use Auckland Engine Reconditioners in Pollen St Ponsonby, Never had a problem and I have used them for near on 20 years. They do loads of stuff others cant do and they are very reasonably priced.
PH 3762196

JDVW

I'm in Auckland. I'll give them a call on Monday see how much it'll cost
Cheers for that.
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

JDVW

does anyone want the green cars shell theres nothing on it....no window doors or anything like that
its pretty rusty heaps of bog ;D....posibly been rolled over onto its side at one stage of its life

update on the gold one ive got a new sun roof seal and am stripping all the paint and rust around that area
and changing the panel as that had two big rust bubbles in it. the two rear windows are coming out next
week as theres rust right along the bottom of them and so thats gettin patched up.

Ive decided to keep the car original and re con the original motor and get a slight upgrade on the cam
but that wont be happening for another month or so yet....rust is the main mission right now :)
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

BB

Ive got a shell i gotta bin too :P This one is straight as a die but has some rust but not to bad i feel its a real shame to have to bin it.

What are your reasons for keeping the engine original? Originality over boy racer needs I guess :D 

JDVW

yea this shell is anything but straight theres more metal than bog so i dont feel to bad about it going
to the wrecker its hardly a golf anymore.

I really want to put a quick engine in it but right now that seems the trend haha so as u say orignality
over boy racer needs  :P

after i win big wed tonight ill have the R8 so ill be sorted in the fast department
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon