New Project Quattro

Started by 86gte, April 27, 2009, 02:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86gte

Ended up using cheap valveoline stuff from the warehouse, will run with it for a few hundy km as a flush then put some good stuff in, Seems to run quite good on it though - no rattles!

On an interesting note while i was waiting for the oil to drain i had a wee clean in the engine bay and checked a few things over and noticed the head gasket has "turbo" stamped into the little tag that sticks out.... why would someone use a turbo gasket? surely that would change the compression ratio??

And on another less happy note the accelerator pedal has left me stranded on my way to work this morning, has just fallen loose to the floor. Engine still idles fine but am obviously not getthing any throttle, Anyone know where a diagram is of the accelerator arrangement? or have any idea what could be the cause?    Im hoping not a broken cable....

Thanks

BB

The valvoline will be fine no need to do a quick change, just change it again when it starts to look a little dirty.
Probably a broken cable, get down and have a look no need for a diagram :)
Don't worry bout the turbo gasket they are not fatter just have a stronger cylynder ring embedded in the gasket I think by the look of the one I have here. Would have been a case of wait for a few weeks for the correct one or pay $30 more for this one now type thing ;)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

GlenT

If you want to flush the oil galleries out, then best to use Wurths engine flush.
You just add it to the engine and run for a few minutes or even go for a drive (making sure the engine is nice and hot), then drain with old oil.
Then re fill with whatever oil you decide on.
Running a "cheaper" oil as a flush really wont do a heck of a lot.
If you take your car to get serviced this should be done as a matter of course, along with an injector cleaner added to the fuel.

BB

Most engine flushes stipulate that they are poured into a cold engine and run only at idle for 5 mins. I myself dont always follow these instructions and prefer to drain oil hot even with a flush.
if an engine, like some old 12valve Corrola motors ive seen have so much gunk that a flush would just dislodge all this crap and cause a blockage :P
Just make sure you read the instructions on products you use, and follow them as best you can or at least know how to lie that you did if something does go pop ;)
The best way to do an oil change is to just get the car up to full temp with fans going on and off then let it drain overnight to get it all out, also look at the angle of the sump plug hole etc to make sure its not leaning back slightly leaving a small pool of old oil and gunk.

86gte

Ok went and collected the car, cable is fine. The linkage between the bar the pedel is on (that goes across to the passangers foot well) and the cable itself has rubber bush things that hold things in place - These have perished so i need to replace them. Any ideas where i can find a new set?    Am about to go a few doors down the road to the audi dealer to check with them.

BB - I purchased this car from Havelock North. Has been very neglected and i have a few pages worth of small jobs to be done when i get time, The engine itself is in very good condition! But just lots of little jobs to be done, a few small leaks, door handels etc... The guy i got it from took it away for free as it was cluttering a guys driveway and he was just using it as a dog kennel !  :o

But its in good hands now

RS ZWEI

Quote from: 86gte on May 26, 2009, 11:54:23 AM
Ok went and collected the car, cable is fine. The linkage between the bar the pedel is on (that goes across to the passangers foot well) and the cable itself has rubber bush things that hold things in place - These have perished so i need to replace them. Any ideas where i can find a new set?    Am about to go a few doors down the road to the audi dealer to check with them.

Sounds a bit like a Mk1 setup.
I had a rubber bush that holds the pedal in plave give up on me years ago. My quick fit was to turn it round 180 degrees and use bluetac where it had split.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

86gte

Just priced up a new set of two grommets at over $60, and they also have to come from singapore so i might just have a look at what I can put together in my kiwi mans shed tonight instead.   

BB

Arn't they great those crappy bushes ::) Just when you pull out in front of a bus they fall to bits

vag_nutter

86gte

That is pretty nice, looks like an 80 with a 90 bumper on it?

When i get the time and money i will be putting the coupe flared guards on and giving it a decent paint job, already have the paint just have to find the $ to pay a decent painter

86gte

Had a look inside the boot lid while replacing a reversing lamp last night and found the central locking mech for the boot, is it pneumatic? There is a green hose that goes to the mech. wierd? if it is then where is then central pump for it?

Also still puzzled why my front left park light comes on when i put my foot on the brake, anyone come across this before?

rambo_005

The central locking is a vacuum system, there is a pump inside a foam/rubber housing somewhere in the boot (can't remember where it was)

86gte

Having two annoying problems at the moment...

1st
Blowing brake light/horn fuse all the time. have new bulbs in the back, have disconnected and isolated the wires to the horn switch in the steering wheel and to the horn itself but still blowing, some days it wont blow then other times it blows with a 5 min drive...? - Bugging the hell out of me.

2nd is less major but still annoying
Idle seems to hunt a little bit but only when you give it a wee push on the accelerator, and I think this is also causing the whole car to jump about when decelerating in gear with the clucth out. Im thinking its the idle valve but i have pulled it out and cleaned it and we still have the problem... (the idle valve is the tube looking device with two air connections at one end and an electrical connection at the other end that seems to go from the intake before the throttle butterfly to inside the intake manifold right???)

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Trofeo

Quote from: 86gte on July 09, 2009, 08:42:18 AM
Having two annoying problems at the moment...

1st
Blowing brake light/horn fuse all the time. have new bulbs in the back, have disconnected and isolated the wires to the horn switch in the steering wheel and to the horn itself but still blowing, some days it wont blow then other times it blows with a 5 min drive...? - Bugging the hell out of me.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

sounds like you have a short somewhere. This may explain the park light coming on with the brake too. Check around the tail lights for a bit of corrosion/rust. Does it have a towbar? if so check the wiring for this too.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

BB

Disconnect the idle valve completely and see if that helps. usually they either dont work at all or the stick open and cause the idle to be to high.

John Stone

Quote from: 86gte on May 26, 2009, 11:54:23 AM
Try Qualitat for the bush - I got one from them for my quattro a year ago when the original disintergrated, it's the same part as on a golf.....

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

86gte

I managed to sort out the problem with the front park light coming on, seems the owner before me didnt know the difference between a single and a dual element bulb and had a single in the dual socket, this caused it to short across to the other connection (park light) whenever the brake light was on. I was quite chuffed when I worked that out and thought it had fixed the problem I have with the brake fuse blowing but it didnt  >:(

Managed to bloke up a fix for the throttle linkage but it still needs some finishing off.

vag_nutter

I found a site that sells smoked lights for the type85 90 whilst searching for some for mine and a b3 coupe

http://sites.internet.lu/folders/customautocraft/main.htm

BB

Make sure the brake light bulbs are all good as well and not 24 volt ones. if you fuse only blows after you push the brakes you either have 24v bulbs or you have a short at the rear where the brake light bulbs go.

86gte

Quote from: vag_nutter on July 09, 2009, 09:27:44 PM
I found a site that sells smoked lights for the type85 90 whilst searching for some for mine and a b3 coupe

http://sites.internet.lu/folders/customautocraft/main.htm

Sweet thanks mike,

The bulbs are new so shouldnt be the problem although i will check that i didnt put 24v ones in.... cant see any shorts but will investigate further