SEATS in NZ?

Started by therealvw, May 10, 2009, 08:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therealvw

HI guys and gals?!

Just on the off chance, anyone know of a SEAT dealer in the Auckland area? Was trying to get some prices from Trademe, and there isn't even a category for them!

rambo_005

No chance, haven't been sold here for a while sadly... :(

RS4

Closest you can get is a VAG product with the same motor.
They make some neat little cars in europe though.
Audi RS4 450 BHP, Milltek, intake, remapped (sold)
VW Edition 30, 307 BHP remap. Manual. (sold)
Audi S6 V10, Milltek , Audi A4 B8 (sold)
VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black
Skoda Octavia vRS TDi, Blue, Coilovers, Mapped, 19's SOLD
Audi B7 A4 3.0 TDi , Mapped, more to follow

RobClubley

Didn't they just import a test batch and that was it?
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

rambo_005

Quote from: RobClubley on May 24, 2009, 05:19:23 PM
Didn't they just import a test batch and that was it?

There are a few mid 80s Ibizas around also, not sure whether they were sold through dealers or not? Pre VW group anyway.

donnyrover

I asked the same question and the answer is no, we had a Leon in the UK and it was a fab car and consideably less than a VW. Damn shame you can't get them here. 

Mike1410

Quote from: rambo_005 on May 24, 2009, 05:59:23 PM
There are a few mid 80s Ibizas around also, not sure whether they were sold through dealers or not? Pre VW group anyway.

VW have owned 51% of Seat since 1986 and bought the remaining portion of the company in 1990.

I have not seen any mid 1980's Seats (ie the mk1 Ibiza or Malaga) in NZ but - but have seen several 1996/1997 model year facelift Seat Cordobas around Auckland and one or two on TradeMe. They have all appeared to be autos with the 2.0 litre 16V engine (which is ex Golf mk3). Prior to the '96 facelift they were 1.8 engines.

The Cordoba is the saloon version of the Ibiza hatch, the Cordoba Vario was the wagon. It is based on the Polo 6N platform, so it's certainly not pre-VW. In fact, VW Polo saloons and VW Caddy vans of this era were buiult in Spain on the longer Cordoba chassis not the Polo one.

rambo_005

I know there are a few Cordobas around, and 1 or 2 Mk2 Ibizas (probably from Australia) - but I have seen no less than 4 or 5 Mk1 Ibizas in around the country also :)

Ssom

Back in 2000 there was a shipment of about 100 Cordobas that came into NZ after the SEAT brand was axed in Australia.  They were sold new through VW dealers at a price in the low $20,000's.  The shipment ran out in early 2001, models on offer were a 1.6 manual and a 1.8 automatic.

The SEAT Ibiza was sold new in NZ in the late 80's.  When I was growing up, one of my mates mum had one.  The name "Seat" was very funny to a 7 year old.

Other than those, you're looking at a few imports from Australia (pre-facelift Cordobas and a few Mk II Ibizas) and 2 or 3 Leons imported from the UK.

Max

Giltraps used to have a few in their company fleet. I got a loan one a couple of times back around 2001_02 when the A4 was in for a service.

RobClubley

There was a silver Leon parked by Te Papa with Transformers badges covering the Seat ones.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

HandsomeDan

Quote from: RobClubley on July 21, 2009, 11:56:05 AM
There was a silver Leon parked by Te Papa with Transformers badges covering the Seat ones.
Cool.

Did you try communicating with it?
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

old4130

Just came across this thread..

I am the lone VASK SEAT Owner as far as I know..

We have one of those 2000 shipment Cordoba's.. I love it

Its a much more fun, & lively drive than my Golf GTI..

I saw the UK Imported Leon Cupra a week or 2 back, that was for sale in Grey Lynn earlier this year

There are a few 90's Ibiza's around, & still some of the NZ New 80's Ibiza's still floating around.. with the Engineered by Porsche window stickers  :D

I have also seen the odd 90's Toledo around Auckland

Love the SEAT's  8) 8)
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

rooprob

Hi there!

I'm in the UK and will shortly be emigrating to NZ. I hope bring my 2003 Seat Leon Cupra mk1 with me...

I know there's precious few of them, but perhaps I can reawaken this thread .....

Transformer - are you out there?

RS

Welcome.

Awesome, Seat is the coolest VAG brand  ;) Love the Cupra-R

You can order parts for them through local VW dealers but it may be a bit expensive, basic service parts are likely shared though!

ranton-inc

There are heaps in the Auckland Domain?

le mans

Ha ha. I have just been in Barcelona and SEATS are everywhere. Both of our taxi rides to and from the airport were in SEATS. Also saw this on display at the airport this morning:

Looks very nice, good spec and 6 speed manual to boot. Would love to see them in NZ.

As an aside, we walked past about 20 parked cars in the city and noted that every single one had a manual gear box.

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM