Why petrol is so expensive

Started by spooln, August 12, 2005, 01:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orggti

Basically we need petrol to be that excpencive to offset the huge ecological damage it does to our world. They are raising the price not so much cause they (the big companys) arnt making enough money its because they want us to start conserving it properly. Even if we had a endless supply of oil we still couldnt keep burning it up into our atmosphere at the same rate, something has to give. What im left wondering tho is whats going to happen to the planes? They cause most of the pollution really. Along with industry. I dunno its not looking good to me. I think we should get round the city by flying foxes and swings personally, but im totally mad and nobody ever listens to me  :P

tempq18t

I reckon fuel prices must be about right to offset the cost of public transport now. I live on the shore and I have noticed the traffic quantites have dropped since the fuel price got so high, maybe thats all that was need to get people to realise that car pooling/bussing/ferrying aren't such bad option since 50% of them go from within a km of each other to within a km of each other every damn day.

Turbo

Quote from: orggti on August 22, 2005, 10:55:55 AM
I think we should get round the city by flying foxes and swings personally, but im totally mad and nobody ever listens to me? :P

i've thought about flying foxes as a transportation option. use the sky tower in a sort of maypole arrangement with tension wires going to the outer suburbs. then build towers out there to travel to town.  Hardly dangerous at all.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

orggti

Quote from: Turbo SquatLo on August 22, 2005, 11:51:44 AM

i've thought about flying foxes as a transportation option. use the sky tower in a sort of maypole arrangement with tension wires going to the outer suburbs. then build towers out there to travel to town.  Hardly dangerous at all.
And cars arnt dangerous? I cannot belive it when people bag a idea because they think its dangerous when its actually not very dangerous and probibly much less so than cars. Which are bloody dangerous.
The flying fox is the only anti gravity contraption were ever going to get that works nicely. And yes you would build lots of cheap sky towers all over depending on the lie of the land and have elevators going up to them. You would pay per jump or have a all day consession, there would be security and everyone would have a harness. If auckland did it, they would pay for the whole thing in two years id say in tourisim. Welcome to the worlds first flying fox city, enjoy your ride. :) Its such a great idea itll never happen. :'(

hitmanGTI

Quote from: orggti on August 22, 2005, 07:04:27 PM
Its such a great idea itll never happen. :'(

just like the V8 Street race..

stupid wanker dick hubbard

Turbo

Quote from: orggti on August 22, 2005, 07:04:27 PM
And cars arnt dangerous? I cannot belive it when people bag a idea because they think its dangerous when its actually not very dangerous and probibly much less so than cars. Which are bloody dangerous.

i wasn't knocking it, just a healthy dose of sarcasm at the end. ... hmm maybe i was knocking it, i don't know anymore.

but yeah, i really had thought about a network of flying foxes. it would need support poles, like a gondola system, to keep the wire from sagging under its own weight. then i thought, hey, why not just have gondolas going everywhere, they only need to be a couple of stories high, cheaper than building massive towers everywhere.
then i thought we might as well make it more stable, a monorail taking everyone in and out of the city like clockwork.
then i thought, hmm, clockwork is a bit strict, what if you want to leave work at 5:17 but the train doesn't leave until 5:30 - the cumulative loss of time would be tremendously expensive... compounded with all the commuting to the staions.
so then i cracked onto a brilliant idea:
individual trains that we could drive when ever we wanted on a network of flat tracks. we could put rubber on the wheels to give them traction and we'd be free to roam where ever we pleased. It will be a defining moment for mankind!

2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Turbo SquatLo on August 22, 2005, 07:33:04 PM
i wasn't knocking it, just a healthy dose of sarcasm at the end. ... hmm maybe i was knocking it, i don't know anymore.

but yeah, i really had thought about a network of flying foxes. it would need support poles, like a gondola system, to keep the wire from sagging under its own weight. then i thought, hey, why not just have gondolas going everywhere, they only need to be a couple of stories high, cheaper than building massive towers everywhere.
then i thought we might as well make it more stable, a monorail taking everyone in and out of the city like clockwork.
then i thought, hmm, clockwork is a bit strict, what if you want to leave work at 5:17 but the train doesn't leave until 5:30 - the cumulative loss of time would be tremendously expensive... compounded with all the commuting to the staions.
so then i cracked onto a brilliant idea:
individual trains that we could drive when ever we wanted on a network of flat tracks. we could put rubber on the wheels to give them traction and we'd be free to roam where ever we pleased. It will be a defining moment for mankind!

Or we could just use the legs god gave us and walk...

Turbo

Quote from: hitmanGTI on August 22, 2005, 07:35:17 PM
Or we could just use the legs god gave us and walk...

that's just crazy talk.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Turbo SquatLo on August 22, 2005, 07:43:45 PM
that's just crazy talk.

yeap yeap it is.. my legs get use so little they are malforming as they are used only for the functions of accelerating braking and clutching and the occasional handbrake stomp in bmws or mercs

orggti

Hmmm the train idea and gondalas sounds retarded, but the flying foxes sounds excellent. Obviously not everyone would use them, they wouldnt become the ONLY form of transport, after most people had caught the bus or train to work the rest of us could fly around having a great time with our shopping in bundle buggys. :)

Pristle

Quote from: orggti on August 23, 2005, 08:09:33 AM
Hmmm the train idea and gondalas sounds retarded, but the flying foxes sounds excellent. Obviously not everyone would use them, they wouldnt become the ONLY form of transport, after most people had caught the bus or train to work the rest of us could fly around having a great time with our shopping in bundle buggys. :)

Hey Jem, here is an example of your Flying Fox idea once Global Warming had really set in (I apologise to anyone who may find nudity offensive;)):

[attachment deleted by admin]

Turbo

lucky that guy is wearing a hat ... don't want to get sunburn.