V12 Q7

Started by b0000st, May 23, 2009, 01:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0000st

Had our first V12 TDI Q7 delivered today and took it for a quick test drive and man can it haul ass. Will get some pics on Monday. The only thing I can liken the power to is the RS6 but it seems more fun in a big SUV. The engine does not sound like a diesel at all it also has full ceramic brakes which are huge!

Matt

qta4

At 60 degrees , this engine must look massive, also 2000bar fuel pressure, thats close to 30000psi, wouldnt want any fuel leaks >:D.

I bet it is an impessive animal.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

b0000st

The exterior isnt that much different with deeper front bumper, arch trims and the oval tail pipes which are part of the bumper and not actaully fixed to the exhaust.

Brakes are huge wheels are 20's for some scale, front calipers are made by Alcon. I'd imagine that they are shared with the RS6 to save some $ on development.

And the centre piece is the engine, its pretty impressive and fingers crossed it will never go wrong as it looks like a right bitch to work on.
1000Nm of torque from 1750rpm  >:D
It will be interesting to see how it survives as the guy who's bought it is in the logging bussiness and actually uses his old Q7 out in the bush and I imagine will do the same with this one. Imagine $275000 worth of car banging round in the bush  :o

rambo_005

The brakes do appear to be the same as the RS6, I think you can get the RS6 alloys on the V12 Q7 also.

Very impressive car 8)

Does the exhaust system not connect to those tips at all?

qta4

I am just so happy that i dont have to work on these engines, bloody nightmare diagnosing faults effectively IMO
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

beeker

Assume it has the Q7 disconnected driving feel...
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

RS4

Dont all the V12's here have 21 inch wheels? Same style as the RS6 but an inch bigger. As does the anniversary Q7.
As awesome as the v12 TDi is, i would save a 100K and buy the V8 TDI AND remap it to 1000Nm and buy something else as well :)
Audi RS4 450 BHP, Milltek, intake, remapped (sold)
VW Edition 30, 307 BHP remap. Manual. (sold)
Audi S6 V10, Milltek , Audi A4 B8 (sold)
VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black
Skoda Octavia vRS TDi, Blue, Coilovers, Mapped, 19's SOLD
Audi B7 A4 3.0 TDi , Mapped, more to follow

GlenT

Fark, that is a beast!
That engine looks insane. So much torque. Oh the joy.

b0000st

They do come on 21's but he specced 20's as he can get off road tyres in that size.  :-\
The tailpipes are sat behind the oval trims, Honda did a similar thing with the Civic type R.
Interestingly the vin begins WUA which is the same as the RS models.

Matt

RS ZWEI

Quote from: b0000st on May 26, 2009, 06:51:04 PM
They do come on 21's but he specced 20's as he can get off road tyres in that size.  :-\
The tailpipes are sat behind the oval trims, Honda did a similar thing with the Civic type R.
Interestingly the vin begins WUA which is the same as the RS models.

Matt

Matt, is that Dennis's?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

veedubman

thats cool...

from what i have been told they can have engine completly out and unplugged in 30 minutes...

Simon MkII

WUA denotes cars built at the Quattro gmbh factory i think.
Mazda Mx5

GlenT

Quote from: Ante on May 27, 2009, 09:19:30 AM
thats cool...

from what i have been told they can have engine completly out and unplugged in 30 minutes...

So nothing like an RS6 then?
30 mins, that's Le Mans kinda time. ;)

veedubman

I wouldnt have a Clue...
I was talking to a Service Manager at Contis

Apparently because you cant reach or service anythign in Situ.. they loom and lines are very easy to unplug and the engine slides out the front.. on the "Vag Special tool" Engine lift

So the engine needs to be easy to pull for the purpose of replacing bits...

Where does the RS6 come in to the equation?

Im just repeating what i have been told...

HandsomeDan

I now officially want one.

As much as everyone gave me stick for being a fan of the Q7, I still stand by what i said...I want a Q7!!!!!!
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

GlenT

Quote from: Ante on May 27, 2009, 09:33:35 AM
I wouldnt have a Clue...
I was talking to a Service Manager at Contis

Apparently because you cant reach or service anythign in Situ.. they loom and lines are very easy to unplug and the engine slides out the front.. on the "Vag Special tool" Engine lift

So the engine needs to be easy to pull for the purpose of replacing bits...

Where does the RS6 come in to the equation?

Im just repeating what i have been told...

From memory, it takes 17hrs to replace the spark plugs on a V10 RS6. You have to drop the engine to get at the back two plugs!
I'd like to see the guy at Conti's drive the car in get it up and have the engine out in 30 mins though.

SteveC

Quote from: jasoncordelle on May 27, 2009, 09:40:49 AM
I now officially want one.

As much as everyone gave me stick for being a fan of the Q7, I still stand by what i said...I want a Q7!!!!!!

I'm sure the wiggles would sound great on the stereo in there, Jase

b0000st

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on May 27, 2009, 09:16:24 AM
Matt, is that Dennis's?

Yes it is, its away having all the radio gear fitted at the moment.

As for engine out in 30mins I do believe someones been bull crapting, the bed that is used for taking the motor out is handy but i'd love to see it done that quickly. On the V10 TDI the looms stay on the engine and the whole lot drops out on the front subframe that engine has a lot more room around it but it is still prob about 1/2 a days work to drop out.

Matt

HandsomeDan

Quote from: SteveC on May 27, 2009, 12:33:21 PM
I'm sure the wiggles would sound great on the stereo in there, Jase
Ah...can you imagine it? Toot, toot, chugga chugga, big V12, we're gonna, drive the whole day long..."

Fabulous.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

5-pot

Eek, I think I'd go clinically insane if I had to listen to that all the time... :-\
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI