V12 Q7

Started by b0000st, May 23, 2009, 01:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinner

nah a slight scale difference....maybe say that about a stag???  ;D

i have heard the DB7 described as an XJS with a posh frock on, never really thought that was fair on the Aston....... so by that logic a far less flattering but more realistic description would perhaps be that the xjs is a DB9 with a boiler suit and a hankie tied in 4 corners on its head ;)

wilco

Quote from: b0000st on May 27, 2009, 07:19:13 PM
Yes it is, its away having all the radio gear fitted at the moment.

Matt

Dennis from the Bay Nic??

RS ZWEI

Quote from: wilco on August 21, 2009, 03:46:21 PM
Dennis from the Bay Nic??

Thats Matt, Im Nik.

But yes, roger that.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

RS ZWEI

Quote from: GlenT on August 21, 2009, 02:34:56 PM
Isn't the Jag just a re-shelled Spitfire? :D
I nearly bought an XJS before I turned to Audi.
God I was young back then. ::)

Young and quite sick by the sounds of things, an XJS??? Id rather have an STD!
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

GlenT

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on August 21, 2009, 06:09:39 PM
Young and quite sick by the sounds of things, an XJS??? Id rather have an STD!
I still think they're cool.....
I know, I'm mentally challenged.

b0000st

Quote from: GlenT on August 21, 2009, 09:16:26 AM
You and I know what's coming, but Joe Blow who sees a V12 Q7 for 50k and thinks WOW!!! Buys it and spends the rest if his ownership selling vital organs and becoming a "rent boy" to cover his garage bills.
It's been getting worse for the last ten odd years. Just look at all the really cheap early 2000 model Audi's, Mercs bla bla.
There was that wicked 2001 S6 that went recently for 22k! Beautiful car, but later on it's just going to hurt too much.
They're just far too complicated for their own good.
And now having to drop V10 and V12 engines out of RS6's, Q7's for medial work etc is just plain dumb engineering.

Yeah but when they bring in their "bargain" of a car and get given a price for repair it will be our fault as a main dealer that it costs so much. Ive been told the ceramic discs for the front of the Q7 are $15k each  :o so I hope any future used car buyers do their research  :laugh:

Matt

GlenT

I agree with your assumption, but...
I do think someone's told you porkies with regards to the $15,000 per front rotor.
One of our esteemed VAG parts employee's could price one up for giggles.

vag_nutter

He works at a dealer

b0000st

Yeah doesnt mean I got it right lol

GlenT

I gathered that, but I still wouldn't mind finding out for sure, as that just sounds like a crap fight waiting to happen.
When you can get the ENTIRE brakes upgraded on a Murcielago to carbon for less than the front rotors on the Q7. Just doesn't sound right, even at Audi's silly prices.

vag_nutter

Someone probably added on a zero onto the price :P

M

I can check on Monday but I am sure I heard the same price for the rotors.

I wasn't too impressed by it to be honest.... especially for the asking price of $275,000NZD. The interior is also still a let down, they have added some carbon and trimmed the panel above the dash clocks in leather, WOW. Full leather and an alcantara roof would be more in keeping with the cost.

My in laws have a Cayenne Turbo and when it comes on song the mid range is stomping but it also builds to a nice top end. The Q7 started thumping and I thought "Oh, here we go" and don't get me wrong it is stomping pull but it is all over too soon.

I have driven all the VW/Audi diesels including the R50 Touareg and they are excellent to a point but as real fun they just don't do it. I still think the 4.2 Audi V8 TDi engine is the best of the lot, seems to rev nicely and torque doesn't tail off as fast.

My point in all this is that I think a diesel is still excellent for daily driving but I am not sure that for that little bit of excitement the diesel can cut it. Again the Cayenne can idle along nicely, quietly and reasonably efficient when needed, when you then flatten the pedal it has some great pull and excitement. I could buy a 4.2 TDi Q7 for $150,000NZD if I went for a new one and still have loads left for a toy, even less for a 3.0l TDi, would rather have a Cayenne for interior although I agree the Q7 looks better in top spec trim. In fact a new RS6 is cheaper and MUCH more fun, will do just about everything the Q7 would anyway, as let's face it, no one takes a V12 TDi off road for real, sure they might go through a little mud but not OFF ROAD like my Rangey could do.  ;D

That post was a LOT bigger than I thought hahaha.
Too much power is almost enough.

b0000st

Front discs $15,953 each
Front pads $1688
Rear discs $13,659 each
Rear pads $1524

All prices plus GST  :o

Matt

GlenT

That's damned!!!!
The after market outfits will be rubbing their hands together.

robh

Quote from: GlenT on August 21, 2009, 07:01:50 PM
I gathered that, but I still wouldn't mind finding out for sure, as that just sounds like a s**t fight waiting to happen.
When you can get the ENTIRE brakes upgraded on a Murcielago to carbon for less than the front rotors on the Q7. Just doesn't sound right, even at Audi's silly prices.

The price for upgrade on a new vehicle is often massively less than the cost of spare parts later. 

I seem to remember the carbon brakes for 911 Turbo's were only a few thousand pounds when you bought them as a new car option, but were into ten's of thousands to replace when they wore out.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

vag_nutter

They better last a lifetime

HandsomeDan

Quote from: b0000st on August 24, 2009, 12:28:42 PM
Front discs $15,953 each
Front pads $1688
Rear discs $13,659 each
Rear pads $1524

All prices plus GST  :o

Matt

H O L Y    F U C K !!!!!!!
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

Bullseye

Awesome you can a get full brake service or a 3 year old S4  :o
B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

HandsomeDan

Quote from: Bullseye on August 24, 2009, 02:33:19 PM
Awesome you can a get full brake service or a 3 year old S4  :o
Or a brand new Corolla.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

GlenT

More like four new Corolla's
That's truly bullcrap money.
It's still an SUV for Gods sake! Not a Veyron.