EGR Valve Cleaning

Started by 03Polo, June 12, 2009, 02:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03Polo

Hi Guys,

I have recently cleaned the throttle body on our 2003 VW Polo 1.4 (BBY) and noticed that it was quite dirty with oily carbon.  Where the EGR meets the TB seemed the worst with a big clump of crud.  The car has been playing up in that it is 'hot engine pinking' under partial acceleration.  The colder the ambient air the less it does it. The plugs and air filter have been replaced and there are no codes showing.  My question is, how difficult is it to remove and clean an EGR?  I have noticed that the TDi's seem to have filthy EGR's.  Would a restricted EGR cause pinking?  What is the best cleaner for an EGR?  (I have heard that Carb cleaner will damage the diaphragm??)

Cheers   

03Polo

Mmm... okay I didn't do a throttle body allignment as such.  The Haynes manual didn't mention anything about this!!  From what I googled on the net I assume that it is for the ECU to learn where the Throttle position is.  The car seems to be running better after the throttle body clean but I am still get the pinking problem occasionally. 

Would a VW dealer scan tool/computer provide any further information from the ECU than what your average mechainc's ECU scanner can?

Has anybody done the EGR clean and seen any benefits?  Smoother running... I'm not looking for more HP just a car that doesn't sound so rough ???

80 Vert

Our Lupo with BBY engine used to stall at random times, now with every service I remove and clean TB - never stalled again.
Always do TB alignment too.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration