Factory tour

Started by 57oval, July 03, 2009, 06:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

57oval

I have been to Hessisch Oldendorf, a small village very near Wolfsburg for the Olympic games of vintage VW shows. The organisers arranged a private tour of the factory which saw us drive around in several VW Golf 'trains', they were actually R32's towing three carriages each. We drove round the entire facility, right from the very start through to the finished car.

They were building the MK6 Golf which was very cool, the production chain had everything from a bog standard golf through to the GTI, left and right hand drive.
The build sees the car travel 16 km's around the factory and from a flat piece of sheet metal to a finished car takes only 24 hrs, unbelievable. The tour actually takes you around the floor in and amongst the action. Unfortunately they were very strict on not taking any photos.

The following day I spent at the Autostadt going through all the marques pavillions.

The Audi pavillion was awesome.

And then there was the Bugatti ........

When we pulled up at the VW Museum a Veyron pulled up at the lights right in front of us, I never thought I would ever see one driving in the flesh, they are a massive car and the sound made the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.

Yesterday I spent the day going through the Porsche and Mercedes Benz museums in Stuttgart, another must do.

03' NZ New 4Motion Passat
MK2 GTI
56' Oval Beetle - stock
56' Oval Beetle - stock, project
57' Oval Beetle - modified, 2165cc engine, narrowed beam with disc brakes - project
65' Kombi
66' Split Kombi - Devon Torvette with Dormobile Pop Top
86 T25 Westfalia