New toy in the family

Started by typ53, July 10, 2009, 05:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typ53

I haven't spoken to him about it in a while, he's got a lot on his plate at present.

I did have a chance to take it for a good strop out towards Waiuku a few weeks back.  It's amazing how progressive the power delivery is on that car, even if it does wheeze only like an asthmatic without his ventolin when you come off the gas.

The big feet on it have to go though, they rub on the guards when you hit any sort of bumps in the road and it tram-lines like crazy.  The torque steer almost caught me out a couple of times too - it's rather severe when you're not expecting it.

Great fun though and sticking to the speed limit is a real challenge.

How're you enjoying your baby Nic?

The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....

GlenT

Torque steer on a quattro?
Those wheels must be worse than they look.
Get some standard wheels with the correct size tyre and it will transform the ride.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: GlenT on September 06, 2009, 10:23:57 AM
Torque steer on a quattro?
Those wheels must be worse than they look.
Get some standard wheels with the correct size tyre and it will transform the ride.

I agree, Ive never had torque steer in the RS2 ???
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

RS ZWEI

Quote from: typ53 on September 05, 2009, 08:41:17 PM
I haven't spoken to him about it in a while, he's got a lot on his plate at present.

I did have a chance to take it for a good strop out towards Waiuku a few weeks back.  It's amazing how progressive the power delivery is on that car, even if it does wheeze only like an asthmatic without his ventolin when you come off the gas.

The big feet on it have to go though, they rub on the guards when you hit any sort of bumps in the road and it tram-lines like crazy.  The torque steer almost caught me out a couple of times too - it's rather severe when you're not expecting it.

Great fun though and sticking to the speed limit is a real challenge.

How're you enjoying your baby Nik?

The RS2 is going well thanks Craig, coming up a years ownership in a few days, and so far (touch wood) no speeding tickets to speak of  :police:

When you say the rr wheezes when you come off the gas, does it have an aftermarket DV or a factory one? If its a factory one it might need replacing.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

typ53

I think it's an aftermarket DV.  When I get a chance I'd like to get someone who knows a bit more about them to take it for a spin and give an honest appraisal.  Turbos are a whole new world for me.

Good to hear the RS hasn't lost it's glow.
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

le mans

Just popped my head in here for a look. That car is SEX. I remember seeing it on trademe a while back and salivating over it.

robh

Quote from: typ53 on September 06, 2009, 11:31:36 AM
I think it's an aftermarket DV.  When I get a chance I'd like to get someone who knows a bit more about them to take it for a spin and give an honest appraisal.  Turbos are a whole new world for me.

Good to hear the RS hasn't lost it's glow.

Craig, I'm an authorised expert on quattro's let me take it for a spin and I will give you my honest appraisal  >:D
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

GlenT

You mentioned you were amazed at how progressive the power delivery is.
This is extremely odd as the quattro's are renowned for the opposite.
Big turbo lag, then around 3000rpm you get a wallop of power and woosh! The big kick in the pants arrives.
I love it. It feels like not much is going to happen, then all of a sudden the car just launches away.

td19

Quote from: GlenT on December 08, 2009, 08:55:16 AM
Big turbo lag, then around 3000rpm you get a wallop of power and woosh! The big kick in the pants arrives.
I love it. It feels like not much is going to happen, then all of a sudden the car just launches away.
The Haynes' Audi Quattro' book suggests '... the highlight (of the 20V) was the massively improved spread of pulling power provided by the 20-valve 2.2 litre RR engine'.  I have not really noticed turbo lag in the RR ... the RS2 of course is a different story ::) despite having the same engine.

5-pot

It's also a 2.5 if I remember correctly...  Probably helps off-boost grunt?
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

RS ZWEI

Quote from: td19 on December 08, 2009, 10:32:48 AM
The Haynes' Audi Quattro' book suggests '... the highlight (of the 20V) was the massively improved spread of pulling power provided by the 20-valve 2.2 litre RR engine'.  I have not really noticed turbo lag in the RR ... the RS2 of course is a different story ::) despite having the same engine.

Today an elderly woman almost bet me across an intersection from a standing start due to turbo lag, hehe

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

typ53

Yep, I was expecting fearsome lag but it's more progressive than the WR we drove a few years ago when Dad first started looking.  It's a nice drive. 

I guess being 20v there's a difference, and then it's had fairly extensive aftermarket tuning - crank, pistons (now 2.5l as 5-Pot says) exhaust, turbo and turbo plumbing mods, I suspect head work, higher flowing injectors, piggy back ECU and so-on.  Quite a different beast.

I still need to get someone who knows UR's to take it for a spin for a verdict (although I think we can get something worked out in exchange for a blast in the Golf Rob!) but I am very impressed.

Haven't found an elderly woman to race yet though....   ::)
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

graeme

Phil took me for a ride before selling it on,I suspect the reason it's so drivable is the lack of a huge turbo.The previous owner Quentin said the kit had been fitted less the upgraded turbo for undisclosed reasons.His brother built it,then passed it on to Quentin after a few "close calls".
For a older turbo car it's super smooth ,I could see how it would loose your licence for in it easily.

BB

A good turbo car with good ring seal and a nice new turbo should pull well low down as well, there are many reasons for lag.

A auto mitzi mirage will get the jump on a big Audi everytime unless you are trying. Who cares ;D
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

typ53

So I've been doing some reading through the paperwork that came with the car and been in touch with Marcus Nothelle about the conversion.

Standard output of the full Nothelle 2.5L conversion was evidently 275 PS (so about 270 HP) and 498 Nm torque.

The invoices that came with the car suggest that the modified turbo was ordered so if it wasn't fitted I wonder where it ended up? 
The work was done here, I'm still trying to find a moment to talk to previous owner who did all the work to find out more but it would seem that the only parts not ordered were the camshafts (on advice from Nothelle to the effect that they didn't make too much of a difference for the money). 

In any case the Dyno Plot Phil produced had it producing 215 WHP and about 275 lb ft torque so it's probably in the right ball park.
More sleuthing to be done over the christmas break.
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

spooln

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on December 08, 2009, 05:01:23 PM
Today an elderly woman almost bet me across an intersection from a standing start due to turbo lag, hehe

Until the other 200 horsemen arrived eh Nik......"honest office, I wase'nt doing 90, I was only in second gear"
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Mike

Fantastic car, coveted it for years. First saw it flash past me at a rate of knots on the Desert Rd one night in 1994, when I thought I was cornering quite quickly in my CGT. It made me feel like I was standing still.  After seeing it I had to have one - it set me on the path to quattro ownership. Someone at Team European told me it was crashed in the late 90s, and the owner begged the insurance company to rebuild it, which they did eventually.

Quote from: GlenT on December 08, 2009, 08:55:16 AM

The 20v is entirely different in character from the 10v, as the compression is much higher and the turbo smaller. The effect of this is a lot of low down torque, spread across a much wider range than the peakier 10vt.

On a standard RR 20v engine the full torque is developed at only 1950rpm and about 80% of it is available up to over 5000rpm, whereas on a WR there is very little torque down low and peaks suddenly around 3500rpm and then power/torque drops off rapidly after 5000rpm. The modified 2.5 will probably be a bit more peaky than a standard 20vt, but will develop massive torque making it quicker without needing to rev the nuts off it. 

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Mike on January 23, 2010, 12:22:01 PM
Fantastic car, coveted it for years. First saw it flash past me at a rate of knots on the Desert Rd one night in 1994, when I thought I was cornering quite quickly in my CGT. It made me feel like I was standing still.  After seeing it I had to have one - it set me on the path to quattro ownership. Someone at Team European told me it was crashed in the late 90s, and the owner begged the insurance company to rebuild it, which they did eventually.

On the upside it is getting rebuit Mike:

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,16641.0.html

I didnt realize this was your old car. Phil owned it after you didnt he? And he also owned the white 20V ur at the same time didnt he?

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Mike

Yes Nik, Phil had the red WR first, then got the white RR and owned them together for a while. I'm really glad to hear the red WR is getting rebuilt, it was one of those lucky cars where all the owners over the years had consistently spent the money to keep it in top condition, kept it garaged etc.

GlenT

Quote from: Mike on January 23, 2010, 12:22:01 PM
The 20v is entirely different in character from the 10v, as the compression is much higher and the turbo smaller. The effect of this is a lot of low down torque, spread across a much wider range than the peakier 10vt.

On a standard RR 20v engine the full torque is developed at only 1950rpm and about 80% of it is available up to over 5000rpm, whereas on a WR there is very little torque down low and peaks suddenly around 3500rpm and then power/torque drops off rapidly after 5000rpm. The modified 2.5 will probably be a bit more peaky than a standard 20vt, but will develop massive torque making it quicker without needing to rev the nuts off it. 
I neglected to realize it was a 20V.